Role of captain

Remove this Banner Ad

FrustratedTiger

All Australian
Apr 13, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
With all the Melbourne drama going on at the moment, it's made me think of the role of the captain in a team. I've always been a huge Gawn fan but you look at the mess the club has been under his watch and it makes me wonder if he's as good as he's looked when things were going right. Geelong has been a club with great stability over the last couple of decades. No surprise that they've had a strong captain through most of that time, who has handed over to another strong leader. James Sicily used to be a bit of a dick. All of a sudden he's matured and Hawthorn are now looking good. At the risk of being shot down by the Richmond haters, Cotch & Jack Riewoldt's decision a the end of the 2016 season to make a stand as leaders and change the culture of the club has proven to have made an impact, as has their departure. Does team success make a captain look better than they are, or do you need a strong captain to have team success. And if a team goes off the rails, does that mean the captain is not as strong?

With all the Melbourne drama going on at the moment, it's made me think of the role of the captain in a team. I've always been a huge Gawn fan but you look at the mess the club has been under his watch and it makes me wonder if he's as good as he's looked when things were going right. Geelong has been a club with great stability over the last couple of decades. No surprise that they've had a strong captain through most of that time, who has handed over to another strong leader. James Sicily used to be a bit of a dick. All of a sudden he's matured and Hawthorn are now looking good. At the risk of being shot down by the Richmond haters, Cotch & Jack Riewoldt's decision a the end of the 2016 season to make a stand as leaders and change the culture of the club has proven to have made an impact, as has their departure. Does team success make a captain look better than they are, or do you need a strong captain to have team success. And if a team goes off the rails, does that mean the captain is not as strong?

A combination I think. I don’t think anyone is going to shoot you down for saying that. Cotchin and Riewoldt had a huge impact.
Gawn I think has had that for Melbourne but he can only hold the dam wall up for so long - one man, particularly a fairly gentle passive one like him can only do it when all that extra stuff is happening for so long

Gawn isn't the perfect angel you think he is. All allegedly and according to the rumours board so I have no first hand knowledge but "good guy" Max Gawn was being promoted 24/7 for his "good guy" food trucks on TV and print several years ago. Well turns out when covid hit he pulled all his money out to buy some more investment properties, and with it his promotional clout. When was the last time you saw something about the Gawn food truck empire?

Problem is many of his non rich and famous family members had invested heavily in the business and were now totally screwed and left in the lurch. Now the Gawn family is all estranged and bitter. Sibling relationships unequivocally broken allegedly.

The Melbourne culture rots at the head

Isn't the role of the captain not to kick into the breeze during the coin toss?
Did that moment help trigger the 3 in 4 dynasty? The shame, the humiliation. How many in how many for Port since then?

All in good spirit though, I wouldn't mind Ken leading his troups to the pinnacle this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Role of captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Back