Just as an activity, a 22 that has never been given a cap:

Jake Lever - Steven May - Daniel Rich
Bailey Dale - Aliir Aliir - Christian Salem
Hugh McCluggage - Darcy Parish - Mitch Duncan
Shai Bolton - Taylor Walker - Bayley Fritsch
Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti - Harry McKay - Josh Bruce
Sean Darcy - Tom Liberatore - Jarryd Lyons
Ed Langdon - Ben Keays - Jacob Weitering - Sam Walsh

I am well aware that there is more to it than these Final Siren stats, however Sean Darcy compared to NN makes interesting comparison.
SD in front on virtually every stat

AFL Player Comparison - FinalSiren.com
Sean Darcy has been good, and will make some AA teams before he's done, and is a shot for the squad (probably between him and Grundy for third ruck, depending how much time he misses) but he's not been at the level of Nic Nat and Gawn this year.

Could make a solid argument for them all being in the 40 man squad (maybe not Keays)

Could make a solid argument for them all being in the 40 man squad (maybe not Keays)
Yeah, Keays is probably around the 45-60 mark ATM, and Landon/Fritsch on the fringe but there are arguments for both

Love this Eth, been saying for weeks that he's AA.

Yeah, Keays is probably around the 45-60 mark ATM, and Landon/Fritsch on the fringe but there are arguments for both
Yeah he has been really good this year and has impressed me when I have watched Adelaide, he played a bloody killer game against us

I'm just not sure he gets in the 40 but having said that I wouldn't be outraged if he keeps up this form and gets in

Naughton been a lot better than Bruce this year.

Yeah he has been really good this year and has impressed me when I have watched Adelaide, he played a bloody killer game against us

I'm just not sure he gets in the 40 but having said that I wouldn't be outraged if he keeps up this form and gets in
Looks like an absolute star that kid

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s not the relevant question. The relevant question is - if you’re going with one ruckman in your Grand Final side this weekend who do you pick? Not for a 20 second cameo but for a full four quarter performance encompassing all aspects of ruck craft, filling the hole, taking marks around the ground, going forward at a pinch etc. The answer is Gawn every day of the week and three times on a Saturday. He’s the more complete player by some margin over Naitanui.

I'm an ex ruck and hence can appreciate the role played by both. Very different players.

So back to your question...

I would take NN. His work around stoppages, clearance work and pressure once the ball hits the deck is what wins finals. Gawn is excellent for the Dees but I would take NN over him for that one game.

Note: I'm picking NN on the basis that he can play similar'ish minutes to Gawn. And if it can only be one ruckman with no backup and they both play the minutes they do then my pick is...

I'm an ex ruck and hence can appreciate the role played by both. Very different players.

So back to your question...

I would take NN. His work around stoppages, clearance work and pressure once the ball hits the deck is what wins finals. Gawn is excellent for the Dees but I would take NN over him for that one game.

Note: I'm picking NN on the basis that he can play similar'ish minutes to Gawn. And if it can only be one ruckman with no backup and they both play the minutes they do then my pick is...

Then you’d be making the wrong choice.

What if they had to kick the winning goal?

You'd be hoping Gawn was up in the stands spectating.

lol

Gawn > NN anyday of the week.

PS: I would hope either of them aren't kicking the set shot.

What if they had to kick the winning goal?

You'd be hoping Gawn was up in the stands spectating.

“Who would you want in the last 20 seconds of a close game?”
“Who would you prefer kicking for goal after the siren?” (*neither is the answer to this one)

These aren’t arguments. The only relevant question is - who do you pick on GF day to get the best return from over four quarters?

Gawn.

I feel it’s dependent on the Midfield looking at it from a Lions prospect I would definitely take Nic Nat in front of Gawn

not sure how you see that but your choice.

Update on Nic Nat v Gawn in the coaches votes. Make of it what you will.
RoundMaxNic Nat
14BYEBYE
Total Points4942
Games Polled in79
Game where team lost that polled in0 out of 23 out of 6

Update on Nic Nat v Gawn in the coaches votes. Make of it what you will.
RoundMaxNic Nat
14BYEBYE
Total Points4942
Games Polled in79
Game where team lost that polled in0 out of 23 out of 6

There is nothing to make anything of?. Gawn rightly so has more coaches votes. Because he's been better

There is not a single legitimate argument you can make that NN makes it over Gawn as the starting ruckmen in the current AA squad..

1623995296823.png

“Who would you want in the last 20 seconds of a close game?”
“Who would you prefer kicking for goal after the siren?” (*neither is the answer to this one)

These aren’t arguments. The only relevant question is - who do you pick on GF day to get the best return from over four quarters?

Gawn.
Who would you choose to win a game off their own boot?

I'd personally take NN every day of the week. Gawn's proven he crumbles under the mental pressure of those big situations.

Still, he is a gun player and I can't say I'd be upset if he was AA over NN.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Rolling All-Australian team for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Back