Stoinis
Carey
Agar
Cummins
Starc
Hazlewood

- 2nd spinner Zampa
- back up quick J.Richardson
- reserve bat short or handscomb/wade/Bancroft - they can also cover as a back up keeper in need
- last spot M.Marsh or raffle off for a quick

probably to always going to play 1 spinner over in England so 1 of the quicks to the bench

batting order 5/6/7 could vary depending on the game situation, I don't think it should be a lock.

Warner
Finch / Short
Smith
Marsh
Stoinis
Maxwell
Carey (wk)
Cummins
Starc
Zampa
Richardson

Backups:
Short/Finch, Khawaja, Handscomb, Hazlewood, Lyon

Short
Lynn
S marsh
SMITH c
Maxwell vc
Handscombe +
Stoinis
Faulkner
Cummins
Starc.
Spinner?

That's my best side, batting order can float depending on situation.

I'd also have Wade as 2nd keeper as Carey's odi record so far is abysmal especially his Sr.

Unsure on spinners probably zampa with agar as depth.
Richardson and Stanlake in the squad as extra quicks
Warner Head and a bolter like a Turner/Bryant as batting depth

Warner
Finch
Smith
S.Marsh
Maxwell
Stoinis
Wade
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

Handscomb
Richardson
Zampa
Short
Patterson
Agar

If Carey, Khawaja, or Siddle go, the selectors are taking the piss.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see a Spinner as out real weakness. The batting and quicks are there, provided we piss off the moronic selectors, but the spin cupboard is bare. Maybe it's worth picking someone like O'keefe?

double what

Patterson is a batsman who has not played ODIs before.

Pattinson is a bowler who is injured and has not played a one dayer since 2017.

I wasn't aware that Patterson the bolwer is injured sorry about that. But if he wasn't straight in. Patterson the batsman, the way the selectors give out baseless selections, Patterson wouldn't be a bad inclusion.

is he better with the gloves than Jimmy Maher was?

yeah but maher only played 2 games at the '03 world cup.

one as a pure batsmen when we had injuries and a lehmann suspension in game 1 of the tournament.

the other was as the keeper when we rested gilchrist. it was against the netherlands.

Never been so confused as to what our best ODI team should be.
Pace bowlers and allrounders a zillion options. Batting line-up a mess that running out of time to fix.
Khwaja I just do not find reliable. He can play some good innings but not enough to cement a spot and his fielding still weak in my eyes. Prefer him not in.
Finch I have never wanted in ODI''s but is bloody captain which does my head in. How D'Arcy Short is not in team has me stumped as much as Finch in.
Carey has made things complicated as he opened but not made the most of it and Warner on the horizon. Shaun Marsh Test career looks over as does Handscomb but both done enough to suggest they at least in World Cup squad. I can make a case for Darcy Short and Marsh opening. Warner if welcomed back I would not be upset to see bat first drop. Then Smith in at 2nd drop and after that gets confusing. Like many I feel Maxwell batting at 7 is too late in order, Rather he bat at 5 or 6 Maybe Handscomb 5 and Maxwell 6, Stoinis 7, Carey 8 but hen Carey almost picked on his keeping alone. Then it makes me consider Paine again. He is the best keeper and could solve the captaincy problem of Finch. I feel all over place trying to make sense what is best. Further more Lynn is our best big hitter but his shoulders make him as liability in field so he is probably stuck as just a T20 cricketer which is a shame.

I still get seduced at bowling allrounders like Coulter-Nile and Faulkner. The Finisher finish off a game last night in style and his early bowling with swinging ball is always an asset. Coulter-Nile tore him apart in last over though. Almost a play off for another allrounder option, Coulter-Nile fielding is everything you want in a World Cup that guys like Khawaja concern me about. But then selectors have Ashton Turner in mind before them. Mitch Marsh off radar at moment like Agar but cannot be counted out.

The pace bowling is strong. Any of Cummins, Starc, J Richardson, Pattinson excite me for wicket taking needs but then less exciting options like Hazelwood and Siddle still in running. Behrendorff and Stanlake probably rank outsiders if Starc or Cummins injured.

Darcy Short
Shaun Marsh
David Warner
Steve Smith
Peter Handscomb
Glenn Maxwell
Marcus Stoinis
Tim Paine (wk)(capt)
Nathan Coulter-Nile
Pat Cummins
Mitchell Starc
12th man Nathan Lyon

No front line spinner and go with Short and Maxwell to bowl some overs when needed.

20 to 1 to win World Cup
500,000 to 1 to be anything like the team selectors go with.

i think we need a little perspective.

we are currently playing one of the faves for the world cup.

we aint too far away if we can get our house in order sooner rather than later.

if we can jag a semi final spot, then you just never know as other teams won't want to play us in a semi.

FMD, anyone suggesting that Handscomb takes the gloves is absolutely clueless.
Our batting is weak, we need to try something different. Every decent side has a keeper that score runs. Having Handscomb take the gloves gives us the opportunity to have an extra batsmen.

Carey might deserve another opportunity, but he's yet to score a 50 and is averaging mid 20's at a SR in the 70's.

Our batting is weak, we need to try something different. Every decent side has a keeper that score runs. Having Handscomb take the gloves gives us the opportunity to have an extra batsmen.

Carey might deserve another opportunity, but he's yet to score a 50 and is averaging mid 20's at a SR in the 70's.
Have you seen him 'keep'? It would cost us a heap of runs in dropped catches, missed stumpings and extras for potentially a few extra runs with the bat. Heck it might even put some pressure on Pete's batting that whilst impressive for a couple of games recently arguably isn't even 100% proven at ODI level.

One of the most ridiculous suggestions I've seen on here recently. Might be able to get away with it in a T20 but 50 overs? No, just no. Want Carey out replace him with another proper wicketkeeper.

edit - Carey averages 3 less runs than Handscomb from one less game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rolling World Cup squad thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back