Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Olango is the classic highlights package player.
Right....Even Sean darcy(our new ruckman) told in one interview earlier.....only olango and one another guy from VFL able to blanket him in ruck recently...... there is 2 places vacant for ruck as griffin and sandi may stop in a year or two.... so olango will be perfect fit.......

For me our Pick #3 Olango ...................

if he is already gone by pick #3........... what about Mitch Maguire.....? good goal accumulator during under 18 carnival plus play in midfield too................

We clearly need another developing small forward. Would love Liam Ryan but also maybe LeBois.

After that another developing ruck but a very mobile one, and two mid types one of whom should be Deluca. Greys card probably marked as soon as we got Luke Ryan as that small defender a back up to Spurr.
Mitch mguire can do the job of small forward-he plays in midfield too if needed...???

Not sure the draft tracker is a completely accurate list of all draftees but Garlett definitely hasn't nominated.

This list might be more reliable source: http://www.aflplayers.com.au/potential-draftees-signed-by-an-accredited-agent/

Would I be surprised if there's mistakes? No, it's afl.com.

I was mainly doing to look to see if delisted players were nominated not potential first time draftees tbh. Was just curious to see which ex-freo players are trying again and checked a few delisted players that interest me, Garlett being one of those.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Personally, I'd be looking at taking a mature aged ruck with our first pick - either Oscar McInerney or Rowan Marshall. Doesn't hurt to have another one really, and I'm expecting there'll be a rush of rucks being picked at the start of the rookie draft. I don't think there'd be any further need for a tall, none of the key forwards are particularly exciting.

How many other picks do we have? I'd be taking a crumbing forward, preferably Tyson Stengle or Kym LeBois. Both have speed and elite skills. There's a kid called Jamaine Jones from North Ballarat, potential Cat B rookie too. There are plenty of these types. Otherwise guys like Oliver Hanrahan, Calvin Thorne and Louis Cunningham would fit the ball of outside foot skills. Even a taller Bailey Morrish. And I'd look to balance that with a more contested midfielder too. Perhaps Bailey Banfield or Luke Bunker.

If a more mature body was preferred, I still wouldn't bring Brady Grey back. I'd rather look at ex-Giant Jake Barrett, ex-Sun Andrew Boston or Blake Grewar from the NEAFL.
Hi Chris what about Mitch maguire? scored many goals in under 18 carnival for allies as a small forward/midfield role?

Would I be surprised if there's mistakes? No, it's afl.com.

I was mainly doing to look to see if delisted players were nominated not potential first time draftees tbh. Was just curious to see which ex-freo players are trying again and checked a few delisted players that interest me, Garlett being one of those.
Yes, it would be useful if the AFL published a full and accurate list somewhere. I mean how hard is it?

Daniel Cox has nominated but wasn't in the Draft Tracker. Now I'd just like to know if he is a cat B possibility because The Recruit hadn't finished taping when the original list was published and I'm pretty sure he'd qualify for our academy given I think he was living and playing in The Kimberley in '13, '14 and '15 (he played for North Ballarat in 12 games this year). Would seem unfair if Darren Allen is eligible but not Daniel.

1. Jonty Scharenberg – Tough, tight inside midfielder. Outside of Neale, who is the closest young player we have to this? He's played seniors in the SANFL so could be good to go after a few months at the club. Weller is hard at it but he is slight, Blakely is the sort of guy who picks up clearances from nothing but unfortunately he hasn't set it alight as quickly as I expected he would. Seems a good chance to get somewhere quickly so I doubt he'll be around for us.
  2. Liam Ryan – Might be a little flaky and we have a fair few outsiders, but still seemed to set it alight for Subiaco. Obviously the big issue is the fact that Subi are so dominant, making it far easier for these sorts of clean skilled, but ultimately, outside players to play well. Could be a challenge in what'll be a pretty average side this season. Ross also has a hard-on for Sheridan and Crozier, and now there's the two Hills to also contend with. But again, this is my list, and if I was in charge, we would've pissed Crozier off to Richmond and got Chops Sheridan an acting career in LA.
  3. Cameron Zuurhaar – Medium sized forward at 187cm but most importantly, comes from one of the Fremantle WAFL sides. At that size he could play anywhere which is something plenty of recruiters overlook. Who else do we have who is that Luke Bruest size?
  4. Jye Bolton – We have had enough Sandover Medallists who couldn't crack a game at Freo, so he might be a pointless selection, but he seems earnest and ultra-keen to succeed at AFL level. I think it's a good idea to maybe get these fringe guys on the rookie list but who are really driven... you won't die wondering with them.
  5. Connor Noonan – SA boy, 5'11, but wants to take the game on and knows how to step back, find space, take that extra second and pinpoint a pass. He's played a few games for Westies in the SANFL Reserves at 17/18, so he's got some experience against bigger bodies. Does well despite the pressure. Also best mates with a good mate of mine so yeah get on him Freo.
  6. Matt Guelfi – Six foot midfielder, Claremont pussy, but an inside midfielder again.
  7. Brady Grey – Unfairly delisted after doing nothing wrong in his AFL appearances. His boarding pass was checked as soon as we picked up a similar aged, similar-levelled bloke from Coburg but seemingly the club wants to go through these cycles every two years. Apparently his kicking is average but considering he looks good as a hole-plugging, roaming, but also man-playing back pocket... who cares?

I personally would be happy for the club to throw a PSD lifeline to Gus Litherland. A lot of Hawks fans rate him & say he was unlucky not to break in to their firsts. I note with interest that none of the WAFL clubs seem to have announced him signing on as yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
**** yes.

Love him as a player, has that great country lethargy that isn't actually a lack of effort. He just looks relaxed because he knows exactly where he has to be. He doesn't run around like a headless chook because he's always in the right place, he's not trying to run back and find someone or get to the ball because he's already read his man or the play. Nice kick too from memory. Unlucky to not get another gig and will be really unlucky to play about 20 games for Hawthorn in their best four year period ever, and not get picked back up by someone else.

He's a good size as well. Would really like a back line with him lining up with Joel Hamling, Alex Pearce, Collins, Johnson, and Ethan Hughes in it. Pretty flexible but one I don't mind.

**** yes.

Love him as a player, has that great country lethargy that isn't actually a lack of effort. He just looks relaxed because he knows exactly where he has to be. He doesn't run around like a headless chook because he's always in the right place, he's not trying to run back and find someone or get to the ball because he's already read his man or the play. Nice kick too from memory. Unlucky to not get another gig and will be really unlucky to play about 20 games for Hawthorn in their best four year period ever, and not get picked back up by someone else.

He's a good size as well. Would really like a back line with him lining up with Joel Hamling, Alex Pearce, Collins, Johnson, and Ethan Hughes in it. Pretty flexible but one I don't mind.
You are talking about Litherland right? He's garbage .

**** yes.

Offer too lither on field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Without knowing what is actually going on behind the scenes, I wonder what the likelihood is of Shane Yarran resuming his role in our best 22.
If it seems we might not be able to play him, I would consider a small forward like Ryan, DeBois or Stengle for a rookie spot (Ryan being the best option).
Based on their videos, South Australians Walker & Hinge both look quite composed & tidy HBs - wouldn't be unhappy with one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan,Olango. With our lack of mid picks in the ND will we keep Deluca . Will Grey stay. Looking forward to Monday , should be really interesting with our early pick.
If you look at the balance overall for freo and peel keeping deluca and grey make sense. If fyfe, mundy and neale all fit can't see blakely ,balic,tucker playing for freo but peel. By drafting more mid either they play with peel reserve or play out of their usual position.

If you look at the balance overall for freo and peel keeping deluca and grey make sense. If fyfe, mundy and neale all fit can't see blakely ,balic,tucker playing for freo but peel. By drafting more mid either they play with peel reserve or play out of their usual position.

Grey is still carrying his ankle injury. Maybe its the wrong time to be held back by a significant injury.

Grey is still carrying his ankle injury. Maybe its the wrong time to be held back by a significant injury.
I think he won't survive the cut just like mora and smith because of this injury sorry Dudley you need to find a new player as buddy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back