Roos beat Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes a very solid win and just the way I like it. In control from the start,maintaining a good lead and then busting them open at the end! The "usual suspects" played very well but I'd like to give a special mention to Baird,Robbins,Bourke,Clayton and McCartney who all contributed well. I thought Bourke was a fine contester and presented himself well throughout. Porter's going to make a helluva difference to this team with his strength and ruck nous,things you need against powerhouse rucks like Primus. Not sure what to make of our overall performance in the Harry Potter Cup but each game we seemed to show some improvement on the last and we seem to have found some useful players and others (particularly Harro) seem ready to "step up". Pity about Colby,let's hope it's only a minor injury.

Yep , agree with all that.

Loved Choppy's run and goal in the 1st Q.

If only had Bourke held that grab.(pretty serviceable otherwise.)

Harro's game impressed.

Sav is in for a big year!

Cochrane played well as did Clayton.

All the senior guys impressed. King , Grant , Macca, Arch ,Mick and Simmo.

Carey , Stevo , Winnie and Colbert
:( to return.

I reckon we are looking forward to a great 2002.

Originally posted by Groucho
Porter's going to make a helluva difference to this team with his strength and ruck nous,things you need against powerhouse rucks like Primus.

The encouraging thing for me was in the last 15 minutes when Burton came back on was that he was also able to dominate in the square. This will be very useful when the real stuff starts.

The other thing I like about Porter is that he is a very solidly built piece of work and can clear the pack open for the younger players.

Shannon Motlop to me is wasting his talent. I thought he did some very good things in the first half, providing run and some class out of the back line, he shows what he can do but then seems to go missing. However I still think their is something to work with him. Also Cochrane provided plenty of dash of half back and did some good defensive things. We need to perservere with these two off half back, the run they provide will enable King to play more forward.

Credit to Bourke, if only he had a body to go with his football smarts and courage.

Highlight overall was Choppies running goal. Was able to burn off an oponent whilst taking a bounce and then he gave it to the Collingwood scum behind goals.

Special mention also to Boomer who did a similair thing.

I was the first person to knock bourke and I was very impressed with his performance tonight, I just hope he can play like that during the season.

Also, Jase looks good in the forward line! However, I'm not sure if we can afford to have him up there all the time, he is so solid in defence.

go kangas 2002

P.S. we are out of the wizard cup now right?

Go Bourkey!

021643as.jpg

Originally posted by choppy

Shannon Motlop to me is wasting his talent. I thought he did some very good things in the first half, providing run and some class out of the back line, he shows what he can do but then seems to go missing. However I still think their is something to work with him.

He is still working out the balance between playing attacking football and being accountable for your man as a defender.

As you said, he did some very good things tonight... in the second half, though, his opponent tended to drag him wide of the play, so he couldn't get into it as much. Same thing used to happen to Choppy a couple of years ago...

I agree, definitely worth persevering with. Looks to have bulked up, too.

Originally posted by hurricane

He is still working out the balance between playing attacking football and being accountable for your man as a defender.

As you said, he did some very good things tonight... in the second half, though, his opponent tended to drag him wide of the play, so he couldn't get into it as much. Same thing used to happen to Choppy a couple of years ago...

I agree, definitely worth persevering with. Looks to have bulked up, too.
definitely looks to have put on a couple of kilos. he laid a decent bump in the centre in the third quarter that allowed byron to stream forward.

sure, it is only a pre season game but watching angry pies leaving colonial this evening was a delight!!

there is a certain joy in laughing at supporters who begin to hurl the " you guys don't have any money" insults in the third quarter as their team gets flogged.

there is also joy in watching big sav tear 'em up in the last quarter. his last grab was a beauty!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Clayton actually played ok today. :eek:

Didn't think much of :mad: Bourke's game - he got his hands on it a bit, but apart from one goal and one pass that just reached its target, he looked unsteady and prone to his usual high levels of *******ity.

Motlop did some nice things in the first half, repelling a few Collingwood attacks, as did Makepeace who always looks so calm even in the heaviest traffic.

Rocca was very strong in the air, Burton was good while on the ground, and McCartney provided a good contest on most occasions. Jones also played another good game and looks to be cementing his spot in the first 22.

In the first quarter, Baird and Tarrant were at the goals near me, and Tarrant (who looks to have bulked up) looked huge next to Baird - twice as thick in the arms. In addition, Tarrant appeared too quick as well, so the move of Archer onto Tarrant in the second half was a good one.

Originally posted by Darky

I don't know why he is not more physical, I mean his pyhsique whilst not marbled scultpture material is not that bad. Jose Romero used to be as soft as butter, but then he turned himself into a dirty, tough little prick. Perhaps shane could do the same.

Originally posted by choppy

I don't know why he is not more physical, I mean his pyhsique whilst not marbled scultpture material is not that bad. Jose Romero used to be as soft as butter, but then he turned himself into a dirty, tough little prick. Perhaps shane could do the same.

While not exactly being the next Glen Archer, I though Clayton had a bit more grunt in him today. Maybe he got some tips on playing with aggro while talking to the Velvet Sledgehammer at Victoria Park yesterday morning. ;)

i cant believe the Pies supporters were leavin early GRHH anyway good on yaz tonite even though i was fully decked out in me Pies gear till the end i was prouda Roos just wished it didn't have to be against Collingwood especially that last goal by Sav again grrh. I thought Bourke made us look like gooses for baggin him BUT it is only one game so far! Clayton musta worked on a little plan with him to make us look stupid too i think. And even in my Pies stuff i had to smile at Byron's run into the goals...now i am not a bandwagoner at all ok but i did manage to hang the Roos scarf out the car on the way home FOR DAD OF COURSE ;)

Originally posted by Groucho
but I'd like to give a special mention to Baird,Robbins,Bourke,Clayton and McCartney who all contributed well

Something that denis said recently has stayed in my mind... it goes along the lines of when a "reject" comes to the club you treat them how you expect them to play... not how they have played at a previous club... this maybe why he has a good history in resurrecting footballers...

Maybe we could take this on board before we hang a bloke before he plulls on a Kangaroo jumper...

Bourke did get the ball, but looked nervous with it. During the 3rd quarter, he got a 50m penalty and was in the centre of the ground. He went to kick the ball, and realising that there was no-one on the mark, he kept on running forward, eventually just bombing the ball and I think the Pies may have cleared it. Then there was a shot from just inside 50m in the second quarter and he just kicked the a great distance.....upwards. He made a couple of other mistakes too, so he has to improve his disposal.

Clayton....is it just me or has he actually bulked up. Okay, he played a good game, but let's see him do it against some real opposition.

Porter did well in the ruck, and as someone has posted earlier, the Porter/Burton ruck combination should ensure that Simpson, Grant, Harvey etc. get plenty of the ball.

Archer and Martyn looked solid and very confident in defence....the other defenders seem to play with more confidence when they know that Archer and Martyn are doing well. Baird was well beaten by Tarrant early, but once he was switched, Baird was solid.

Going forward, and with no Carey there, our midfielders seemed to look up and find an option rather than just bomb it to whereever Carey would be standing. Which leads to the question, what to do when Carey gets back? We know if he is put forward, he will be the first choice target. So how about the idea that Pagan uses him as a link man on the wing? He's a great passer of the ball, he's got great positioning, and other teams would have a hellish time trying to match up on him. Give him the license to run to 50 and bomb a long goal and our attacking options multiply.

All in all, happy with the win, but not going overboard. Round 1 vs Port Adelaide over there will tell us exactly where we stand.

Originally posted by Shinboners
So how about the idea that Pagan uses him as a link man on the wing? He's a great passer of the ball, he's got great positioning, and other teams would have a hellish time trying to match up on him. Give him the license to run to 50 and bomb a long goal and our attacking options multiply.

Shinners I suggested this during last season saying he would be impossible to match up on... and most others said that opposition teams would play fast guys who would run off him...

Originally posted by Darky

Didn't think much of :mad: Bourke's game - he got his hands on it a bit, but apart from one goal and one pass that just reached its target, he looked unsteady and prone to his usual high levels of *******ity.

I had not taken much notice of Bourke in a tiger jumper.

Yes I agree there is room for improvement , but this poor guy has copped a whalloping before having the chance to prove his worth for the roos.

First impressions are important. I think he is worth a try.

I thought Jess Sinclair was ordinary at the start of last year. I don't think so now.

Originally posted by Rooboy 96

Shinners I suggested this during last season saying he would be impossible to match up on... and most others said that opposition teams would play fast guys who would run off him...

Yeah, it could be true. But they'd need to play a pretty experienced player on him. Would a coach take someone like Voss, Ricciouto, or Buckley out of the centre to mind Carey on the wing? If you put a young fast player on Carey, then I'd back Carey's experience to win out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roos beat Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back