Roos beat Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by Shinboners

Yeah, it could be true. But they'd need to play a pretty experienced player on him. Would a coach take someone like Voss, Ricciouto, or Buckley out of the centre to mind Carey on the wing? If you put a young fast player on Carey, then I'd back Carey's experience to win out.

My good friend... I am with you on this... just telling you what some are thinking....

But then we know best....;)

I had a great time ! Although winning by ten goals is always going to be fun :) :D

The usual guys played well, Grant, Simmo, Harvey. I thought Harris was pretty good, his smothering and tackling and chasing really make him standout.
Sav was awesome, those Collingwood supporters must have been gritting their nicotine stained teeth everytime he lined up for goal - mind you, there weren't many of them left by the last quarter to watch the full Sav show :D

Cochrane played a good game, let's hope he's gained some confidence and keeps playing well.
Clayton also played pretty well.

Although Baird was getting whipped by Tarrant early on, I still think he's a great pickup.

Pickett's running goal was fantastic, a North supporter sitting behind me started yelling out, in Fred Flinstone style " Yabba dabba dabba dabba dabba doooo !" as Choppy raced towards the goals, we couldn't stop laughing :D :D

Yeah, it could be true. But they'd need to play a pretty experienced player on him. Would a coach take someone like Voss, Ricciouto, or Buckley out of the centre to mind Carey on the wing? If you put a young fast player on Carey, then I'd back Carey's experience to win out.

If a young fast player marks him when he goes into the centre, perhaps he could drop forward into the goal square and then when a defender (or two..) move onto him, move him back up the ground.

The only question to me is whether is body can take the extra running, but I guess it is better than being double or tripple-teamed every week.

Good idea guys...I hope Pagan is listening!

Hmmm that is interesting regarding the thoughts on Carey. I would suggest that his greatest attribute is still being able to kick from outside 50m, being able to outmark most opposition one on one, and drawing the best defender each week.

I think that Pagan will be using Corey Jones to great effect in the forward line. We have called for another Craig Sholl and I reckon Jones could be it. Therefore I think that Pagan will work something along the lines of an open forward line ( Pagan's favourite) with Carey and Rocca on oposing flanks and Jones running in between. I am convinced that he won't play either Rocca or Carey at true FF. Richmond seem to be working similar with Richo and Ottens playing wide of each other forward rather than CHF and FF.

Originally posted by Darky

Motlop did some nice things in the first half, repelling a few Collingwood attacks, as did Makepeace who always looks so calm even in the heaviest traffic.

Still feel uneasy with Makey in the backline. He got out marked by Brodie Holland inside 50. :rolleyes: The top sides will target him.

The whole back 6 have to be competent in the air.

Pratty seems ideal for the backpocket role, but what do I know?

Originally posted by speedy

Still feel uneasy with Makey in the backline. He got out marked by Brodie Holland inside 50. :rolleyes: The top sides will target him.

The whole back 6 have to be competent in the air.

Pratty seems ideal for the backpocket role, but what do I know?

He had a good game Brodie Holland. He was one of the only pluses to come out of the game for the Pies.

I thought Makepeace was good in defence, not only last night, but throughout the Harry Potter Cup.

Best signs from last night,

1. We buried them in the last quater for a 10 goal win. Long time since we done that to a side.

2. The slick handballs out of the congestion to set up our runners. Thats what we have been missing since 98. Harris, Robbins, Baird and even Porter have made a difference here aswell as a general improvement across the board.

Originally posted by Darky

Halfway through the last quarter, because the curfew at the Remand Centre has been extended to 9pm.

Except for the low functioning ferals who abused byron pickett after his first goal . They were on day leave from Thomas Embling Hospital.

hotham

very pleasing win, and very happy after watching the game with 10 rowdy wood supporters, how cut they got :D :D

12 players got into double figure possies which was very pleasing.

Mr Sgiggle played o.k, but im still not a fan.

My pet for this year, Ben Robbins (seeing ive given him a huge rap on other posts) i thought had a very solid final term and looks the goods as an exceptional servicable player.

BTW did anybody see the chick Joey was talking to, best afield for mine :D

It was a good game (even better we won- HAHAHAAA)

Anyway some things I noticed were:
Cochrane kicked the 1st goal of the 1st quarter I am sure of it- pretty sure anyway) and Clayton the 1st of the 2nd:O
Those 2 actually played pretty well..... not brilliant- but serviceable

Jones was good again- kicking 2 this time, his 1st was from the pocket and it was brilliant, Harvey tried from around there a couple of mins later and didnt get it. Jones looks really good and I think he would have just about cemented a spot by now.

Rocca- was consistent with last week and kicked 5 goals - I had doubts about him doin it durin the 2nd quarter- but he proved me wrong. I think if we had that gameplan when Carey was there Rocca would be able to kick 4/5 goals every week- but because Carey is there and its "Bomb to Carey" Sav doesnt get much of a chance...

Baird- I saw him on Tarrant- he looked thin compared to Tarrant, tried his hardest- but Tarrant got a few goals when Baird was on him- I htink that is due to Bairds lack of experience more than anything.

Bourke got in the game a bit- tooks some nice marks, seemed to be the only one who wasnt willing to pass the ball on shot at goal- coz he missed one- and then he got another chance a couple of minutes later and still didnt pass- and missed again..

Sinclair- done some good things - the particualr thing that stands out in my mind was when he ran off Leon Davis, got the ball kept running- kept Leon Davis at a distance and set up a goal.

Pickett- that goal in the 1st quarter was SENSATIONAL- I couldnt stop laughing- I was so happy when he kicked that, I said to dad "Typical Pickett" while I was laughin- it was so great to see Pickett.. I was up the other end of the ground- but it was still great.

all the boys played well
would make a mention of Harris- but didnt see much of him..

Go Roos

Which leads to the question, what to do when Carey gets back? We know if he is put forward, he will be the first choice target. So how about the idea that Pagan uses him as a link man on the wing? He's a great passer of the ball, he's got great positioning, and other teams would have a hellish time trying to match up on him. Give him the license to run to 50 and bomb a long goal and our attacking options multiply.

I dunno about that, best form of defence is to attack and that was what gave us a advantage a few years back.

I still reckon put him in the goal square with Rocca, Jones and either Colbert or Archer on a half forward flank with Pickett and either a resting Harvey or Grant at Carey's feet to crumb anything that he spills.

If they play one on one Carey will win, if they double team him (which they will) then either use the free player on a flank or kick it to him where the ball will spill.

Imagine a fired up Pickett running full tilt at a crumbing ball, backman would be ****ting themselves.

Play a five man forward line which keeps it open with an extra player through the centre to keep it tight and 'hide' our lack of explosive pace.

If players like King, Motlop and Cochrane can give plenty of run through the middle then Carey may be wasted on the wing and exposed by players like Joel Smith.

My humble opinion.

(PS Shinners havn't forgotten about the Petrie sponsorship, just need to get down to club and pay it)

Originally posted by tashibatts

Baird- I saw him on Tarrant- he looked thin compared to Tarrant, tried his hardest- but Tarrant got a few goals when Baird was on him- I htink that is due to Bairds lack of experience more than anything.

all the boys played well
would make a mention of Harris- but didnt see much of him..

Go Roos

I thought baird should of stayed on tarrent, sure he tarrent was on top but he should of been left on him for the experience.

Harris was one of our best and done very well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roos beat Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back