Certified Legendary Thread Roos lodge plans for massive Arden St upgrade

Remove this Banner Ad

The state is not broke...

lol nah, we are pretty broke tbh.

Every aspect of government spending is currently operating in "tight fiscal environment" mode. Projects getting cancelled or post-poned all over the place.

Fair enough. I donā€™t pay much attention to state politics tbh, I just get told all the time by people that the state is broke and assumed itā€™s true.

I wouldn't say the state is broke. It's just that there's no money left for Victorians after funding higher priority causes such as the Glasgow Commonwealth Games.

yup.

arden st thread bumps, "oh maybe theres some sorta news?" Nope, just a couple of sky news parrots, then bickering over unknowns. Superb.
You failed to mention the dude casting a rod. I thought you were better than that. :stern look

lol nah, we are pretty broke tbh.

LOL nah we're not, I've been and covered places that are broke - UK after the 2008/09 crash for example - and even Victoria in the early 1990s was close to broke.

This simply isn't happening here.

It is just right wing media bullshit from the same people who told us Dictator Dan was hideously unpopular ... just before he was re-elected with a massive landslide.

If you want to see somewhere heading towards serious financial issues, NSW is the place.

Every aspect of government spending is currently operating in "tight fiscal environment" mode. Projects getting cancelled or post-poned all over the place.

And many not.

Tight fiscal environment post COVID spending splurge is one thing, being "broke" is another altogether. They're also doing the classic cut mid term so they can spend again closer to the election.

There's plenty of money for their priorities, of which, happily for us, the Arden precinct with the metro is one.

And given our booming population, both with internal migration being neutral and huge growth from O/S arrivals, the housing focus of the precinct now is their number 1 key priority, which again works for us.

They'll probably get re-elected too lol.

Don't believe everything you read in the Herald Sun.

LOL nah we're not, I've been and covered places that are broke - UK after the 2008/09 crash for example - and even Victoria in the early 1990s was close to broke.

Okay, sure. In the global and historical context we aren't "broke".

There's plenty of money for their priorities, of which, happily for us, the Arden precinct with the metro is one.

They literally cancelled the Royal Melbourne Hospital expansion at the Arden precinct. It's also not the only part of the original precinct plans to get cancelled.

They'll probably get re-elected too lol.

None of this is political for me in the context of this conversation - Labor are obviously massively preferable to a cooker-Coalition government in Victoria - but the simple reality is that in a post-Covid world, the State is not in a great financial position. You can argue the semantics of "broke" if you want but facts are facts. They culled the public service via the Clause 11 stuff last year, projects are getting cancelled left and right, existing projects are getting scaled back or post-poned (airport rail?), and core services are being penny-pinched by DTP consistently.

Don't believe everything you read in the Herald Sun.

The next time I read the Herald Sun, I'll let you know. Don't hold your breath though.

Okay, sure. In the global and historical context we aren't "broke".

Thank you - good to be working in the realm of facts.

Victoria is so far from "broke" it is not funny, indeed, with the surging population and employment growth numbers the opposite is true.

They literally cancelled the Royal Melbourne Hospital expansion at the Arden precinct. It's also not the only part of the original precinct plans to get cancelled.

Yep, my understanding is we're very happy about that too.

None of this is political for me in the context of this conversation - Labor are obviously massively preferable to a cooker-Coalition government in Victoria - but the simple reality is that in a post-Covid world, the State is not in a great financial position. You can argue the semantics of "broke" if you want but facts are facts. They culled the public service via the Clause 11 stuff last year, projects are getting cancelled left and right, existing projects are getting scaled back or post-poned (airport rail?), and core services are being penny-pinched by DTP consistently.

They're cutting back from the massive spending of the COVID years sure, but this is nothing like what we've seen before even re the public service cuts - I mean they signed off the very nice EBA that plonked $5k in every public servants acct a few weeks back.

If it was as bad as right wingers like to make out, stuff like SRL would genuinely be on the tale, which it isnt.

The only way the current fiscal situation would be bad is we were like NSW and experiencing a massive internal population drain while our domestic demand numbers were falling. They're in the shit bad and utterly reliant on massive O/S migration to try and keep the show going.

With Victoria's population booming, the financial position is fine. Some may say that's a "ponzi scheme" but that's another argument and not one I agree with.

The next time I read the Herald Sun, I'll let you know. Don't hold your breath though.

Good for trade stuff this time of year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Roos lodge plans for massive Arden St upgrade

Remove this Banner Ad

Back