Player Watch Rory Sloane - Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

One of those blokes has a premiership though. Not much of a flex.
Very true, however only one of them has integrity, Rory Sloane, a true champion person and got the absolute best out of himself, went on too long and I feel relieved he has finally made the right decision. All the best for the future Rory and a big thanks from this supporter for all your effort and hard work over the years.

Rory is in a bind, can’t quit now looks like he’s jumping ship.

So he will announce it once we’ve won a couple of games against crap opposition.

We are now 1/3rd of the season in, he’s played no games. Looks like he’s weeks away from playing still. No way Belinda will let him risk his eyesight for half a season when we have no finals to play for.

She seemed pretty hesitant at the footy show cross and rightly so.

If he’s the great club man and must have spiritual leader around the club, he can still be of value if he hangs around the club. Bet that doesn’t happen though, he will back right off
Nostradamus ….. but good call for both Rory and the club

One of my absolute favourite players when he was in his prime. Loved his gut running and never give up attitude.

Unfortunately father time caught up with him pretty quickly, and this is the right decision for him.

Well done on a great career and all the best for whatever comes next Rory!

thank you for everything rory!!

must admit, i was wondering if this was coming considering how was at LIV on Saturday with Bel pretty blind :D

A sad end to what was a good career here, but ultimately it's the right call now with us 2-5 and an eye injury that isn't healing.

Thanks for the memories Sloane.

When?

And you can't say the first 8 games of 2017.

2016--2017 Sloane deserved that title, big time. After all, we're talking about a lad who finished 4th and 7th in the Brownlow in both those years and an AA in that period. One of the premier midfielders in the competition at that point in time - occasional inconsistency issues notwithstanding.

After 2017, no. He never quite hit those heights, whether due to injury or Adelaide just imploding on itself - which wasted a rather good 2019 campaign from Rory.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunate reality is that like a lot of club greats he kept on too long and probably tarnished our memories of him a bit.

Will try to remember him as the skillful and tough, heart and soul player he was. Congratulations on a good career all things considered.

don’t think he was ever skilful but hard and tough most definitely

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hope he has a great retirement back in Victoria. Super courageous player, nobody could ever argue that point.

Sad to see such a great career go out with a whimper like this, but realistically it's been over for a long time. Good decision to leave now, although it probably would have been better to leave last year.

There was a period of around 8 or so years where he would never get beaten in one-on-one contests. I loved the way he went about it.

Played his entire career in Adelaide, not bad for a Melbourne boy coming here in the mid-2000s when every interstate player was scratching and clawing at the exits.

Thanks for everything Rory. Perhaps I should finally retire my avatar picture that I stole from his Myspace page and caused him to set his account to private?

I'll remember him for his clash with Danger in the 2017 PF where two bulls went for the ball but only one remained standing. That night (exemplified by that act) was basically the pinnacle for the club and that playing group of that era - was all downhill from there but Sloane was a warrior and gave his all and has to be commended for that.

Great player in his prime. I still remember him announcing himself in a narrow win against Geelong when they were still right in their prime.

I'd like to see him helping out on match day in the SANFL, particularly with young mids such as Dowling, Edwards and Taylor. They'll learn more from him than Godden.

Will remember him as the guy who was everywhere in 4th quarters at his prime. At every contest, willing us across the line
In his prime he was worth two players on the field the way he would get from contest to contest.

Remember marvelling at him in those prime years where he would appear deep in defence to help our defenders out with an out number then see him bob up 20 seconds later on a half forward flank to win another contested ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back