Player Watch Rory Sloane - Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

Been a great player and the right decision.

Shame as I think playing on this year detracts from a good career.

Happy to have him around the club for the rest if this year but needs to go and do his own thing fo a few years.

Saw his first game, at the MCG (0 kicks, 6 handballs, 7 tackles)

I remember a few really good years, up to mid 2017.

We shouldnt forget his commitment at a time when few would commit to us. Unfortunately for us (and for his legacy) that commitment didn’t get us what we expected or what we paid for.

Sad end to a brilliant career. He looked done, then with a positional change he seemed set to thrive, then does his knee. Probably should've called it at the end of last year and got a farewell game but even then he was subbed off early in his last game thanks to a poke in the eye. Would have been nice to give him a farewell on field but hopefully the club makes a big deal of it this week and we get the job done for him in a Showdown. That'd be a nice touch at least.

Overall though, great player. For a long time he was just a no nonsense player that you could always rely on. Tough, brave, and was a crack shot at goal. One of our few mids that you were happy having a ping at the sticks.

Could have easily left us when everyone was but stuck with us. Credit to Bel too, she could have easily pushed him back to Vic for her career but instead went whole hog into plugging SA. Great family, wish nothing but the best for them whatever they do and wherever they go next.

All the best Sloaney.

Could have easily left us when everyone was but stuck with us. Credit to Bel too, she could have easily pushed him back to Vic for her career but instead went whole hog into plugging SA. Great family, wish nothing but the best for them whatever they do and wherever they go next.

Especially given the tragedy they had with Leo in 2018. My first child was born right around that time, and I remember feeling utter dread when the story happened, and then again a few months later when it happened to Walker as well.

That kind of event can cause you to re-evaluate your entire life. I don't think anybody would have begrudged them if they just decided it was time for things to change then. But they didn't - and then Rory went on to take on the captaincy role during some of our darkest years.

Wish only the best for them.

Well done on a very good career Rory. Unfortunate that it ended this way and you were not able to go out on your own terms. But very glad you and the club have made the decision, your health after football is more important that another couple of games this year.

Was always one of my favorites early on in his career and he was an absolute gun back in 2016-2017. Always gave everything he had when out on the field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon Rory Sloane has deserved a retirement that remembers his great achievements, his relentless attack on the ball, his steadfastness to his club mates, his outright class, his bravery and commitment to getting back on to the field after injury, his leadership during our worst of times, his having a long career of character and honesty, those moments when he kicked the goal, took the mark or laid the tackle when it really mattered and his commitment to our club when he had the very best excuse to take his family back home to Victoria.

And if you think this is the time to take out your personal "I told you so" or "about time" or some other diatribe protected by your avatar ..... then stop it. Have a little respect.

Nope. Doesn't move the needle whatsoever.

Not a highlight at all?!?!?!

Did he have any highlights then? Was his career devoid of highlights?

Personally - I would imagine that kicking the first goal in the most important match of his life would be up there. But thats just me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back