• gone this year

Votes: 13 10.6%

Votes: 22 17.9%

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • extended beyond 2026

Votes: 65 52.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

In my honest opinion, Luke Dunstan was/is the definition of a low-ceiling footballer.

He started his career strongly because of his mature frame, but he never had the foot skills or athletic traits to be a great footballer at the level - I know not all stars need to be athletes etc.

However, he got to his ceiling very quickly and had no room to improve because he just couldn't. Injuries did impact him of course.

I can see why the club selected him, as he had leadership capabilities and, on the surface, looked like a bloke who would win the hard ball and play 200 unspectacular games.

When we got Dunstan he came straight in , round 1, and played 16 games for the year.
Probably the first player since Luke Ball to have that kind of instant impact.
Even then our drafting had been depressing, and Dunstan was a breath of fresh air.

At that time Seb Ross was looking like a write off.

But Matt Crouch probably would have had the same impact if we'd got him instead.
Zach Merrett probably more of a slow burn.

Its probably our fault. Supporters were cracking up at shit drafting so they chose someone to shut them up for a bit.

lol still going on about dunstan

Knew someone that played with him before afl etc
His knock was always pace and disposal
When we got Dunstan he came straight in , round 1, and played 16 games for the year.
Probably the first player since Luke Ball to have that kind of instant impact.
Even then our drafting had been depressing, and Dunstan was a breath of fresh air.

At that time Seb Ross was looking like a write off.

But Matt Crouch probably would have had the same impact if we'd got him instead.
Zach Merrett probably more of a slow burn.

Its probably our fault. Supporters were cracking up at shit drafting so they chose someone to shut them up for a bit.
Hope Dalrymple knows his Neales from his Dunstans

To think Néale went at pick 58 :oops:

South Australian Lachie Neale is the fourth selection for Freo in the Draft.

Pick 58 - Lachie Neale - 18yrs, 177cm

Lachie has had an outstanding season. He dominated U18 footy for Glenelg, played all 5 championship games for South Australia and finished the last 7 games in Glenelgs League side having a real impact. He is an inside midfielder who can play forward and apply terrific pressure. He is tough and wins contested footy. He has an enormous workrate and desire to get the footy. His clean hands and quick handballs are elite. Lachie is an outstanding character. Lachie’s testing at the state combine was impressive across the board. His standing VJ of 73 and RVJ of 95 is elite. His 8.24 agility, 14.2 beep and 3.00 sprint are all very good times as well. Lachie averaged 31.3 disposals, 5.6 marks, 5.1 inside 50s and 6.4 clearances per game at SA U18 level.

They say the knock on him was his height and speed ... but 3.00 sprint is fine for an inside ball winner

Our 2011 draft was

Pick 25 - Seb Ross
Pick 35 - Daniel Markworth
Pick 37 - Jack Newnes
Pick 42 - Jimmy Webster
Pick 60 - Jay Lever
Pick 68 - Beau Maister

To think Néale went at pick 58 :oops:

South Australian Lachie Neale is the fourth selection for Freo in the Draft.

Pick 58 - Lachie Neale - 18yrs, 177cm

Lachie has had an outstanding season. He dominated U18 footy for Glenelg, played all 5 championship games for South Australia and finished the last 7 games in Glenelgs League side having a real impact. He is an inside midfielder who can play forward and apply terrific pressure. He is tough and wins contested footy. He has an enormous workrate and desire to get the footy. His clean hands and quick handballs are elite. Lachie is an outstanding character. Lachie’s testing at the state combine was impressive across the board. His standing VJ of 73 and RVJ of 95 is elite. His 8.24 agility, 14.2 beep and 3.00 sprint are all very good times as well. Lachie averaged 31.3 disposals, 5.6 marks, 5.1 inside 50s and 6.4 clearances per game at SA U18 level.

They say the knock on him was his height and speed ... but 3.00 sprint is fine for an inside ball winner

I can remember a Ross Lyon interview , where he seems very very happily surprised at Lachie Neale's brilliant performance.
Can't remember which game it was.

Our 2011 draft was

Pick 25 - Seb Ross
Pick 35 - Daniel Markworth
Pick 37 - Jack Newnes
Pick 42 - Jimmy Webster
Pick 60 - Jay Lever
Pick 68 - Beau Maister

That wasn't a bad haul from what turned out to be a bog ordinary draft.
Hopefully Hugo is last years Lachie Neale.
His numbers aren't so different.

In my honest opinion, Luke Dunstan was/is the definition of a low-ceiling footballer.

He started his career strongly because of his mature frame, but he never had the foot skills or athletic traits to be a great footballer at the level - I know not all stars need to be athletes etc.

However, he got to his ceiling very quickly and had no room to improve because he just couldn't. Injuries did impact him of course.

I can see why the club selected him, as he had leadership capabilities and, on the surface, looked like a bloke who would win the hard ball and play 200 unspectacular games.

He had a terrible tank early on and then by about 24 he started being always injured. That final year he overcame injury and forced himself into the side and looked like the player we'd been waiting for but had had his falling out with Ratts. He was a meat and potatoes type but we could have used him as depth the last few years. Acres was also a late bloomer.

Hope Dalrymple knows his Neales from his Dunstans

His Sydney work has been a mixed bag. He had the Chad taken late but most of his other successes were academy kids. I probably would have stuck with Toce. He was going well.

…..
I hope this time we reflect on what it was about Dunstan - despite all the positives detailed in this report - that stopped him from ever becoming more than a gop and eventually made his continuation at St Kilda untenable…..
Well, Imma gonna say,
Dunstan, at the end, was getting crazy numbers at Sandy, and right now, we are in a situation where loads of red,white and black, is doing fine in yellow, blue ‘n black.
When Members first went back, he kicked a swag of goals. Then he came back, and he became a frustrating player. The odd flash, but dismally out of touch for AFL.
So, I wonder if the legacy of Dunstan will include a footnote, among his much prouder and higher achievements, ‘reminded Saints fans, that certain players, who fell off the fringes of the AFL, could really impress in the VFL.”
I won’t mention names!

Well, Imma gonna say,
Dunstan, at the end, was getting crazy numbers at Sandy, and right now, we are in a situation where loads of red,white and black, is doing fine in yellow, blue ‘n black.
When Members first went back, he kicked a swag of goals. Then he came back, and he became a frustrating player. The odd flash, but dismally out of touch for AFL.
So, I wonder if the legacy of Dunstan will include a footnote, among his much prouder and higher achievements, ‘reminded Saints fans, that certain players, who fell off the fringes of the AFL, could really impress in the VFL.”
I won’t mention names!

Do we throwback to Ledger here?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do we throwback to Ledger here?

Ledger was a sub in his first game, played 30% and got 10 disposals.
At the time we were used to the likes of Rob Eddy getting 10 for the game, so we thought this kid will be something, never mind that his disposal made CJ look like Nasiah.

Fremantle have a brand new facility in a shit hole of a location. 30-40mins out of the city. right on a real congestion point traffic wise. they train under massive power lines.

hasn't stopped them attracting players and retaining what they have.

its an excuse.

How many other AFL clubs do Freo have residing in the same city who are competing for the same off field talent? (the conversation was about recruiting staff, not players).

Compare that to us who have 8 clubs in metro Melbourne plus one down the highway beachside.

Now ask yourself if you were a pro recruiter & the $ were the same, what would you choose?

Seaford had us out of the conversation before it could start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many other AFL clubs do Freo have residing in the same city who are competing for the same off field talent? (the conversation was about recruiting staff, not players).

Compare that to us who have 8 clubs in metro Melbourne plus one down the highway beachside.

Now ask yourself if you were a pro recruiter & the $ were the same, what would you choose?

Seaford had us out of the conversation before it could start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
whilst i agree fremantle are afford talent, purely because there are only two options. i dont think seaford is the reason why we miss out on players.

we are uncompetitive and have not been a professional organisation. we also lack the sell of other clubs. players have chosen to join clubs with poorer facilities than seaford.

EFA

Ross Lyon: Man on the plonk.

bQBiwEo.gif

whilst i agree fremantle are afford talent, purely because there are only two options. i dont think seaford is the reason why we miss out on players.

we are uncompetitive and have not been a professional organisation. we also lack the sell of other clubs. players have chosen to join clubs with poorer facilities than seaford.

I think for most part, differences in the size of the talent pool across Vic and WA vs number of clubs just isn’t relative, so WA clubs (similar to other interstate sides) get to dine out on home grown talent.

Inevitably VIC talent gets siphoned by either the big Melbourne sides or Geelong. We could have our base next door to the CBD, similar to Melbourne or Collingwood, and we still wouldn’t stand a chance. Hey, we lost that battle a long time ago we initially arrived in Moorabbin.

I guess you have to ask yourself, if you were a free agent, what would be the prime factors influencing you to arrive at a certain club? There will be similar themes/trends for support and broader footy department staff.

Players loved it.
Rewriting history.

(The team benefited from players spending an extra six hours a week sitting in their cars, because it gives them time to listen to more podcasts)

Mornington would have been better. As long as we got a home ground there. I think the train runs there too.
We could be the new Geelong.

Rewriting the future.
Players did not love it all. They had to toe the line

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Ross Lyon: Man on the plank.

Back