List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

What I think I see - and I don't have the footy background of many on here - is that a fair few of our players seem goal-shy. They don't give off that aura of "gimme gimme, I want a shot on goal".

In the ultra-minority and simple sport I play there are pointers who make the the general shots, and shooters who aim to shoot out the opposition boule if it's so close to the target jack that their pointer won't be able to do better. Many pointers won't even try to shoot even when it's clearly the right tactic. You have to want to shoot, attempting it half-heartedly doesn't work. Shooters practice, practice, practice. Is there a parallel here?
Absolutely, those with the experience & confidence will always be more inclined to perform in pressure situations. Experience in particular as they have done it all before & practiced the different scenarios of the game over & over again.
Freo are currently getting game & time into those inexperienced players to be able ‘shoot’ when it’s their turn.

What I think I see - and I don't have the footy background of many on here - is that a fair few of our players seem goal-shy. They don't give off that aura of "gimme gimme, I want a shot on goal".

In the ultra-minority and simple sport I play there are pointers who make the the general shots, and shooters who aim to shoot out the opposition boule if it's so close to the target jack that their pointer won't be able to do better. Many pointers won't even try to shoot even when it's clearly the right tactic. You have to want to shoot, attempting it half-heartedly doesn't work. Shooters practice, practice, practice. Is there a parallel here?

We ****ed up at least three or four what should have been scoring shots like this on Saturday. Not only that I reckon Essendon scored from one or two of them as well. It literally lost us the game I reckon - against decent opposition it wouldn’t have due us being bad enough in other areas but on Saturday it did imo.

It just seemed that if there was a way to **** up an inside fifty entry we’d find a way whether it was over-possession, missing targets or missing shots at goal. A bit more talent wouldn’t hurt but confidence just seems shot in a number of players imo. Some just need the season to end and come back next year unfortunately.

Some team Disposal Efficiency stats since 2012 during Lyon's tenure coaching Freo;
- Disposal Efficiency has ranged from as low as 66.6% for GC in 2018 up as high as 76.4% for HA in 2017. (ie. just under a 10% gap between the best and worst in 8 years of AFL).
- No great surprises that Hawthorn have had the best disposal efficiency in 4 of those 8 years and Gold Coast the worst in 4 of those 8 years.
- Freo's range has been 69.6% (2019) to 74.3% (2015).

YearDE%Rnkd
2012​
71.6%​
12​
2013​
72.3%​
7​
2014​
72.2%​
8​
2015​
74.3%​
3​
2016​
73.5%​
10​
2017​
74.0%​
6​
2018​
73.0%​
7​
2019​
69.6%​
15​

My take on Ross is simple , He as has been lucky that his front half of the last few years has been O.K . Now lets reverse this season if we lose this week we have lost 8 of our last 10 . This is a better result believe it or not than the the previous 2 years. Now you put the results at the front of the season i.e. start that poorly every year and come home better with the same win /loss ratio . Would he still be here?

No it was Nathan Buckley in May this year. The bizarre fascination in blaming any coach at AFL level on poor skills on any 1 possession is just that, bizarre.
Training levels can be good or bad from session to session & has very little impact on how the players perform on game day.
To blame the coach on any player missing a set shot at goal or missing a target 25m away is clutching at straws.
If those players dont have any other attributes to enhance the team, they will be moved on & let’s face it they wouldn’t have even got there to begin with.

Just remind me, how many premierships has Buckley won as a head coach with that method?

Oh sorry I didn’t realise that ‘people’ are saying that, it must be true.
I’ve given you my opinion & reasons & respect yours, but no one has given any evidence that Lyons training sessions are any different to that of any other AFL team.
Except I read somewhere that a journalist had been to both the Eagles & Dockers training & said the Eagles practised their skills.
The question on that is did he go to every session for that week of both teams? I wouldn’t have thought so as they train at the same time!

He said that he regularly attends both Freo and WC training over years.

Some team Disposal Efficiency stats since 2012 during Lyon's tenure coaching Freo;
- Disposal Efficiency has ranged from as low as 66.6% for GC in 2018 up as high as 76.4% for HA in 2017. (ie. just under a 10% gap between the best and worst in 8 years of AFL).
- No great surprises that Hawthorn have had the best disposal efficiency in 4 of those 8 years and Gold Coast the worst in 4 of those 8 years.
- Freo's range has been 69.6% (2019) to 74.3% (2015).

YearDE%Rnkd
2012​
71.6%​
12​
2013​
72.3%​
7​
2014​
72.2%​
8​
2015​
74.3%​
3​
2016​
73.5%​
10​
2017​
74.0%​
6​
2018​
73.0%​
7​
2019​
69.6%​
15​

I reckon DE is a very deceiving stat. We probably ended up with 70 odd against Essendon but that was mostly from uncontested possessions in the backline of which we had a whole bunch (as we always do when our game-plan falls down). We'd be one of the worst offenders at that in the league so of course that'll end up boosting our DE.

He said that he regularly attends both Freo and WC training over years.

WC sessions are mostly closed. Over the years I have attended all Freo sessions apart from this season and that particular journo has been in attendance at Freo. How he got to both team sessions is a miracle.

Just remind me, how many premierships has Buckley won as a head coach with that method?
Is that what you got out of that paragraph?
Seriously?
I’m not pro Lyon or against Lyon, but those against Lyon need come up with a better argument than he’s not coaching skills. Skills improve as a natural progression from training.
I personally think his fault is mananagement. He does not trust his assistants & I feel he does not coach the whole list well.
I’ve said it before, I want him to coach the club, not just the team.

I don't have an axe to grind either way but my major concerns with Ross would be the following;

-Hasn't seemed to impose a consistent ball movement strategy that doesn't rely on an effort game.

-We are consistently beaten by a certain type of team (west coast and hawthorn) which seems more a tactical failing

-He doesn't seem very good at rotating players through the squad, I think this leads to load issues and issues with blooding players when we are going well/okay.

I have no doubt that Ross will be here next but I think he's on the nose and we will need to see performances pick up as well as results for him to get an extension. He shouldn't get any extension before the end of the 2020 season imho, especially with our habit of falling away in the second half.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Back