List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I look at the list of names you have there and they are not inspiring. But OK, so we select Colyer and he runs sideways and get 10 touches and the MC get potted for selecting someone who isn't up to it. It's a no win situation (unless we win!) for the MC.

The MC wouldn't have got potted for selecting Colyer over Sandilands, that is for sure.

The comments relating to entries really stuck in my mind when I listened to the presser this morning.

To me it sounded like ignore all leads and bomb it in to our tall timber then hold the ball in. No wonder McCarthy struggles to string a series of good games together
The start of the second Fyfe free from the middle, handball receive to Hill, runs sideways and kicks long to 48m out on the boundary. Sean Darcy is actually the one closest but Walters is "leading" there (trailing his defender)... and is rebounded. Intercept mark by Logue, short kick to Mundy (70m out - half forward flank). Short kick to Fyfe 45m out in a contested situation. Turned over and rebounded.

Those two plays to contests should have gone longer. Both could have gone to 25m out. Instead, there were turned over in the critical part of the ground. If, as in the Tucker example I gave earlier, the player is free then hit it up. If they aren't, go to the longer contest.

I reckon more chance Adelaide will sack their coach before Lyon goes.

I reckon Lyon is shielding (taking the heat) the club - admin, assistant coaches, recruiters, senior players from a lot of the media flack coming freo's way, due their decision to do a full re-build in 2016 - he is a big boy, it's part of the business. But i would be shocked and disappointed if the club's board and management did nothing than their normal season review and ignored all the 6PR and west crap, which i believe are just about making sure eagles don't get negative press and freo cops the lot. (that said i would be disapointed if they are not doing a thorough review of the S&C dept, including webber).

How long would have another coach had lasted under the sustained negative media pressure? they would have been run out of town last year!

Until we start winning games that is not going to change, but I'm sure that we will be a lot better in 2020 and the pressure will be released somewhat for the entire club when we start winning games and hopefully the first derby...bring on 2020! for those of you who haven't been paying attention our younger players are developing and the stats don't lie. I hope they go hard again in the trade week and at the draft and Belly and his team get in some more talent to complemnet our current list, which now looks pretty good from end to end, something we haven't had for years...
I was going to just hide behind a "like" but agree with you and will cop the forthcoming heat also.

If you take the two best forwards and best defender out of a team and then have your best Midfielder hampered by injury and infection playing at about 80%
add a rebuilding team and young list
Then I for one wasn't surprised at our slump.

The selections this week were diabolical but

I am prepared for more pain before expected gain.

Only one year for RTB though to get it happening.

I'm asking for alternatives from the learned masses on BF. That's not defending, it's asking who it should have been. Of the 3 names given, I can think of many reasons why you'd pick Sandi over them.
Banfield could have at least tagged either Bont or Macrae. Having Darcy and Lobb, Lobb just has to give a chop out for 20% of the game while Darcy has a rest.
Our issues were also compounded by the vast majority of our players having their boots dipped in concrete before the game.

The comments relating to entries really stuck in my mind when I listened to the presser this morning.

To me it sounded like ignore all leads and bomb it in to our tall timber then hold the ball in. No wonder McCarthy struggles to string a series of good games together

I don't understand any of our method...I mean Cerra is running into an open forward line and Lobb leads beautifully into the hole...he sees this and bombs it onto the head of a midget in the pocket who is 2 on 1 against... what the fcuk?

If that's an instruction then Ross should be out the door so fast his feet don't touch the ground

Banfield could have at least tagged either Bont or Macrae. Having Darcy and Lobb, Lobb just has to give a chop out for 20% of the game while Darcy has a rest.
Our issues were also compounded by the vast majority of our players having their boots dipped in concrete before the game.
Why tag now?

Darcy can not ruck 80%, he could barely play 65% game time. He does not have the fitness. If we went in the two rucks, it would have been Sandi and Lobb, with Lobb fwd 85%.

Yes we looked very slow.

I reckon that's just a result of team selection. You stick two of the slowest players in the AFL in a team and the rest of em have to work double to cover the space. WB are a fairly small/quick team so the difference looked more obvious as well.

Up there with one of the worst coaching decisions Ross has ever made imo.

The start of the second Fyfe free from the middle, handball receive to Hill, runs sideways and kicks long to 48m out on the boundary. Sean Darcy is actually the one closest but Walters is "leading" there (trailing his defender)... and is rebounded. Intercept mark by Logue, short kick to Mundy (70m out - half forward flank). Short kick to Fyfe 45m out in a contested situation. Turned over and rebounded.

Those two plays to contests should have gone longer. Both could have gone to 25m out. Instead, there were turned over in the critical part of the ground. If, as in the Tucker example I gave earlier, the player is free then hit it up. If they aren't, go to the longer contest.
As it turns out, the thing that is worrying me as much as our shocking performances, is that Ross is clearly losing the players. By his own admission, he wants deep entries but the first I50 we go short to Walters. This is two players (Walters and the kicker) going directly against the game plan within the first moments of the game. This is really ringing alarm bells that what Ross is instructing the playets to do, they either can't or won't follow his instructions.
I also often notic3d through the game that our tall forwards got sucked up the ground, so when we did get a fast break, it was only a Schultz running back to goal as a target. Where was the tall target??
There's so much I don't 'get' when it comes to Ross's tactics and coaching.

As it turns out, the thing that is worrying me as much as our shocking performances, is that Ross is clearly losing the players. By his own admission, he wants deep entries but the first I50 we go short to Walters. This is two players (Walters and the kicker) going directly against the game plan within the first moments of the game. This is really ringing alarm bells that what Ross is instructing the playets to do, they either can't or won't follow his instructions.
I also often notic3d through the game that our tall forwards got sucked up the ground, so when we did get a fast break, it was only a Schultz running back to goal as a target. Where was the tall target??
There's so much I don't 'get' when it comes to Ross's tactics and coaching.
Perhaps Walters is meant to lead but not be the target? Lobb was forward 25m out, I believe for the first one. I also think it was singled out because of the people involved - Fyfe, Hill, Walters.

Perhaps Walters is meant to lead but not be the target? Lobb was forward 25m out, I believe for the first one. I also think it was singled out because of the people involved - Fyfe, Hill, Walters.
If thats true, then if it's basically our entire leadership group not following orders, I'm sorry, but Ross is a dead man walking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you guys see what Port just did?

Their CEO just sent letters to members apologizing. Their President went on radio and said their coach’s position will be under review at seasons end despite having 2 years left of a contract to run. Brutal and honest.

What does Freo usually do after disgraceful performances? They sent Fyfe or a young player out to the media for damage control.

Great work Port. That’s leadership. Freo take note.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it is pretty obvious the players want the season to be over and done with, and therefore I wouldn't be surprised if the boys didn't really want to win on Sunday; that or Ross has lost the players.

I see little point in sacking Ross before the end of the season, but I can't see us playing finals next year if Brad and Ed leave.

Hinkley and Ross will both be gone at the end of the year.

I think it is pretty obvious the players want the season to be over and done with, and therefore I wouldn't be surprised if the boys didn't really want to win on Sunday; that or Ross has lost the players.

I see little point in sacking Ross before the end of the season, but I can't see us playing finals next year if Brad and Ed leave.

Hinkley and Ross will both be gone at the end of the year.
Ross may be under pressure but can't agree with Hinkley being sacked.
Port (rightly)made some bold decisions to get rid of senior players and have introduced some very promising kids, Rozee, Drew, Duursma and Butters. They started well, but understandably have dropped off as the season has progressed.

Ross may be under pressure but can't agree with Hinkley being sacked.
Port (rightly)made some bold decisions to get rid of senior players and have introduced some very promising kids, Rozee, Drew, Duursma and Butters. They started well, but understandably have dropped off as the season has progressed.
Our problem is we're putting more experienced players on the field and we're worse.

I'd be interested to hear from the pro Ross people if they'd feel the same way if Walters hadn't won those 2 games off his own boot and we were 6-13.

I don't think Ross would still be here if not for those two kicks.

I'd be interested to hear from the pro Ross people if they'd feel the same way if Walters hadn't won those 2 games off his own boot and we were 6-13.

Yeh but if we win the two we lost by a point we are 10 wins and in the eight and Ross is a genius.
Swings and roundabouts.

I think it is only a matter of time now.

All the local media have now rounded on Lyon - inc Langdon and Haselby. The fans want him gone except for a small minority. When the sponsors lose the faith then the board will have no choice. He will cost a bit to pay out but the damage to the club in terms of lost revenue and brand damage will be even worse.

I think they should do it now. The team may well get a spark with a caretaker coach and win a couple of games. This will give everyone something to hang their hat on for next year.

Our problem is we're putting more experienced players on the field and we're worse.
I must admit, the decision to play some of the older players on the weekend was strange, maybe even desperate. The group looked very flat in terms of effort - Bulldogs are a quick running side so the decision to play 3 bigger blokes was, in hindsight, the wrong decision.

Except we are a younger side (R19 25yrs 6mths v 25 and 8, 97 games v 108 games, 4 players over 150 games v 7 - even more pronounced in the head to head match in R13). As for worse, we are equal wins with inferior percentage so yes worse but marginally.

I'm not pro Ross, but if you're going to ask that, how would the anti Ross people feel if we'd kicked 9.9 against GC and the Calrton game was 40 seconds shorter?

I didn't say that playing a young side was the problem.
Ok, These two statements don't seem to coalesce.

I didn't say you said a young side was the problem. You said we're putting more experienced players on the field and we're worse - this fact I was pointing out is wrong, worse is contendable in my opinion too. We are NOT putting more experienced players on the field than Port.

If I've missed your point, I'd like to understand what you meant.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Back