Rumour Ross Lyon to coach Carlton in 2022.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmm....who to believe....some of the best and most respective footballers in the last 20 years....or .....’others’...:rolleyes:

But I’ll make one point...hoping this will edify some...

Two senior coaches were sacked this year because they could not develop a defensive game strategy - and both teams got pounded. Bring on that Lyon ‘defensiveness’ I say....

Teague and who?

So why wont Lyon go through the interview process? He hasn't coached for 2 years. Has never won a premiership, yet feels he is above all others?
I would have thought Carlton would want to understand his assessment of the playing list and how he proposes to coach them. Does he think football clubs should just go in blind??

What an idiot.
That's pretty much what he said last night

I'm still waiting for my dream job too, it involves no interview.
Let's see how Riewoldt goes off..
So why wont Lyon go through the interview process? He hasn't coached for 2 years. Has never won a premiership, yet feels he is above all others?
I would have thought Carlton would want to understand his assessment of the playing list and how he proposes to coach them. Does he think football clubs should just go in blind??

What an idiot.
Not really. He thought if he could get the job it would put the Freo stuff behind him, and to a certain he would be correct, if the media just backed off. Caro was outraged with De Goey playing whilst charges hung over his head(eventually thrown out) but was all matey with Lyon on the Footy Show, even though he allegedly harassed a pregnant Fremantle staffer. Where was her outrage? Just coincidental that Caro broke the news he pulled out of the race??

Who would have though sexually harassing a pregnant woman at your last coaching job would cost you a new coaching job?

What an idiot.
Not to mention Carlton have worn orange socks since 2016 for one game a year to raise awareness about the issue of domestic violence.

It would not exactly be smart of the club to hire Lyon after he sexually harassed a pregnant staff member at a Fremantle Christmas party if they are branding themselves as a club who is supportive of women. I wouldn't be surprised if Lyon was told no by Carlton and he is pretending like he withdrew from the process.

On the other hand, Fremantle paid the victim six figures, and the AFL pretended to investigate and found Lyon had done nothing wrong despite the hush money and the witnesses who said otherwise. I wouldn't be surprised if someone at the AFL told Lyon to withdraw given that the AFL's non-existent handling of the harassment would be brought to light if Lyon got the job.

Furthermore, Michael Warner's latest book, The Boys' Club, briefly attacked both Lyon and the AFL over the sexual harassment. Warner said journalists were briefed by the AFL to say Lyon only commented on the victim's breasts because she had dressed up that night. Yes, despite finding that Lyon had apparently not sexually harassed anyone, the AFL then told journalists to bring up the victim's attire. That little bit of information would not reflect kindly on the AFL. We've seen how social media has managed to bring powerful men like Eddie McGuire down. I really doubt the AFL wanted the heat Lyon would have brought to the organisation and their handling of his sexual harassment if he started the Carlton interview process.

Then again, Lyon may have just withdrawn because he knew journalists were not going to ignore his sexual harassment. Several journalists had mentioned it in their recent articles before going into details about Carlton's fight against domestic violence. Lyon wasn't going to get away with sweeping his past under the rug this time and the AFL wasn't going to get away with their handling of his harassment.

Who would have though sexually harassing a pregnant woman at your last coaching job would cost you a new coaching job?

Not to mention Carlton have worn orange socks since 2016 for one game a year to raise awareness about the issue of domestic violence.

It would not exactly be smart of the club to hire Lyon after he sexually harassed a pregnant staff member at a Fremantle Christmas party if they are branding themselves as a club who is supportive of women. I wouldn't be surprised if Lyon was told no by Carlton and he is pretending like he withdrew from the process.

On the other hand, Fremantle paid the victim six figures, and the AFL pretended to investigate and found Lyon had done nothing wrong despite the hush money and the witnesses who said otherwise. I wouldn't be surprised if someone at the AFL told Lyon to withdraw given that the AFL's non-existent handling of the harassment would be brought to light if Lyon got the job.

Furthermore, Michael Warner's latest book, The Boys' Club, briefly attacked both Lyon and the AFL over the sexual harassment. Warner said journalists were briefed by the AFL to say Lyon only commented on the victim's breasts because she had dressed up that night. Yes, despite finding that Lyon had apparently not sexually harassed anyone, the AFL then told journalists to bring up the victim's attire. That little bit of information would not reflect kindly on the AFL. We've seen how social media has managed to bring powerful men like Eddie McGuire down. I really doubt the AFL wanted the heat Lyon would have brought to the organisation and their handling of his sexual harassment if he started the Carlton interview process.

Then again, Lyon may have just withdrawn because he knew journalists were not going to ignore his sexual harassment. Several journalists had mentioned it in their recent articles before going into details about Carlton's fight against domestic violence. Lyon wasn't going to get away with sweeping his past under the rug this time and the AFL wasn't going to get away with their handling of his harassment.
Caro has been silent on Lyon despite her outrage at De Goey? I suppose when you sit next to each other at a desk the outrage can diminish.

Let's see how Riewoldt goes off..

Not really. He thought if he could get the job it would put the Freo stuff behind him, and to a certain he would be correct, if the media just backed off. Caro was outraged with De Goey playing whilst charges hung over his head(eventually thrown out) but was all matey with Lyon on the Footy Show, even though he allegedly harassed a pregnant Fremantle staffer. Where was her outrage? Just coincidental that Caro broke the news he pulled out of the race??

Caro/media - breaking news; 'Lyon to coach Carlton', two weeks later, Caro/media - breaking news; 'Lyon not to coach Carlton'... ha ha ha!

Sadly, this circle jerk nonsense is becoming quite common in AFL media, just rinse and repeat for most other 'breaking news'...

Caro/media - breaking news; 'Lyon to coach Carlton', two weeks later, Caro/media - breaking news; 'Lyon not to coach Carlton'... ha ha ha!

Sadly, this circle jerk nonsense is becoming quite common in AFL media, just rinse and repeat for most other 'breaking news'...

in this case, I’d suspect both are actually true.

Both?

Seems Ross ends up well liked by the talented guys. Less so by the rest.

Problem is, football isn't about just the most talented half dozen guys on a list.

I haven't been coached by Lyon or employed by St Kilda or Freo...so can’t comment.

Buckley. In mine and other football analysts opinion.
You have no idea. The defence was the strength. Tell me the football analysts who have stated we were weak in defence.
I suggest you do a bit of research rather than make a flawed statement.

You have no idea. The defence was the strength. Tell me the football analysts who have stated we were weak in defence.
I suggest you do a bit of research rather than make a flawed statement.

Expert analysts like David King disagree with you.

As for how much I have an idea,sadly I‘m not in the habit of studying Collingwood....I’d rather french-kiss a skunk......But, I am in the habit of trusting paid professionals who understand the game and have played it at the highest level - What they have stated rings true to me- hence me quoting THEIR ‘flawed opinion’.

I’m also not in the. habit of arguing with attention seeking, unqualified trolls who think arguing blue is black is an intellectual activity.

At this point, it’s pretty clear where the flaw lies - when a nobody believes they know more than established commentariat.

Bye.

Last edited:
● Ranked 18th in least Opponent Kicks Per Game
● Ranked 16th in least Opponent Handballs Per Game
● Ranked 17th in least Opponent Disposals Per Game
● Ranked 18th in least Opponent Marks Per Game
● Ranked 12th in least Opponent Points Per Game
● Ranked 14th in least Opponent Inside 50s Per Game
● Ranked 17th in least Opponent Goal Assists Per Game

Not much else needs to be said - some of the lowest rankings in the major defensive aspects of the game.

I think this would tell most people the defensive game plan was ‘lacking’ - but there’s always someone who is a self-professed genius🤦🤦

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Expert analysts like David King disagree with you.

As for how much I have an idea,sadly I‘m not in the habit of studying Collingwood....I’d rather french-kiss a skunk......But, I am in the habit of trusting paid professionals who understand the game and have played it at the highest level - What they have stated rings true to me- hence me quoting THEIR ‘flawed opinion’.

I’m also not in the. habit of arguing with attention seeking, unqualified trolls who think arguing blue is black is an intellectual activity.

At this point, it’s pretty clear where the flaw lies - when a nobody believes they know more than established commentariat.

Bye.
Yep you have no idea. Show me where your ‘god’ David King states Collingwoods backline/defence was their weakness while Buckley was coaching. In fact it has been one of the few strengths over his coaching career, even when decimated by injury.

You have been called out for BS.

● Ranked 18th in least Opponent Kicks Per Game
● Ranked 16th in least Opponent Handballs Per Game
● Ranked 17th in least Opponent Disposals Per Game
● Ranked 18th in least Opponent Marks Per Game
● Ranked 12th in least Opponent Points Per Game
● Ranked 14th in least Opponent Inside 50s Per Game
● Ranked 17th in least Opponent Goal Assists Per Game

Not much else needs to be said - some of the lowest rankings in the major defensive aspects of the game.

I think this would tell most people the defensive game plan was ‘lacking’ - but there’s always someone who is a self-professed genius🤦🤦

I suggest you take a look at the numbers while Buckley was actually coach.

Opposition kicked 3 scores over 90 points in the 13 games Buckley coached during 2021.

Opposition kicked 6 scores over 90 points in 9 games Harvey coached during 2021.

Buckley was not sacked because of his defensive game. In fact, it could be argued he was too defensive and we couldn’t kick a big score.

Opposition kicked 3 scores over 90 points in the 13 games Buckley coached during 2021.

Opposition kicked 6 scores over 90 points in 9 games Harvey coached during 2021.

Buckley was not sacked because of his defensive game. In fact, it could be argued he was too defensive and we couldn’t kick a big score.

Too much of something is often an indication of a dysfunctional plan - running sideways maintaining possession is a clear indicator of a lack of defensive nouse -

You don’t have to leak goals to have zero defensive strategy.....something to ponder....

Yep you have no idea. Show me where your ‘god’ David King states Collingwoods backline/defence was their weakness while Buckley was coaching. In fact it has been one of the few strengths over his coaching career, even when decimated by injury.

You have been called out for BS.

You're a stroppy little child, aren’t you?

No. Just calling out those who make sweeping statements with little idea.

Yep...the stats I posted sure dont back me up.....your childish rants are so much more convincing......😆😆😆🤦‍♂️

Suppose you name a critic who has PRAISED Collingwoods defence? I’ll probably die first....but do try...

Darcy Moore and Jeremy Howe were injured for a lot of games this year. No team will look great with two of their best defenders out. Defensive structure was always Buckley's strength but this year injuries made it harder to keep those structures with guys like Madgen playing regular games.

Yep...the stats I posted sure dont back me up.....your childish rants are so much more convincing......😆😆😆🤦‍♂️

Suppose you name a critic who has PRAISED Collingwoods defence? I’ll probably die first....but do try...
You seem to be very upset.

As I said, break up the number pre and post Buckley. You’ll learn that stats have little relevance if they aren’t based on what you are attempting to actually measure.

We leaked a lot of goals while Harvey was coach and not while Buckley was in charge over the years.

I’m sure you’ll learn from your failures.

You’ll get over it....,😆😆😆

’Zero defensive efforts from the mid field’

Now you’re just embarrassing yourself.

A comment from King over a couple of games in 2019 about some players not running hard enough. Hardly enough to suggest Buckley was a defensive coaching failure. Incidentally, the Pies were less than a kick off their second successive grand final that year. I can’t believe he maintained his job!

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Ross Lyon to coach Carlton in 2022.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back