Remove this Banner Ad

Madas

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
First ever thread- 🥳
( feel free to delete or merge )

Seems like our Boy Rosco is in very high demand right now .

Is he content sharing his witty anecdotes in the media without all the pressure and scrutiny or is there an itch that needs to be scratched???

First ever thread- 🥳
( feel free to delete or merge )

Seems like our Boy Rosco is in very high demand right now .

Is he content sharing his witty anecdotes in the media without all the pressure and scrutiny or is there an itch that needs to be scratched???
Why not GWS.? ... or even the Hawks, in a 'merry-go-round' year of coaches?

Why not:-
Giants = Clarkson, via AFL.
Hawks = Mitchell with (Malthouse as coaching manager)
Blues = Teague, (with Lyon as coaching manager)
Pies = Choco.

Last edited:

Hmm which club do I not want to watch for the next five years?

Ah, Collingwood!
Must say I was hating Freos flooding , slow game style under Ross .
However he gets very big wraps from very high profile AFL people and coaching peers so maybe he has the capacity to re-invent a game style to suit the modern game .

Why not GWS.? ... or even the Hawks, in a 'merry-go-round' year of coaches?

Why not:-
Giants = Clarkson, via AFL.
Hawks = Mitchell with (Malthouse as coaching manager)
Blues = Teague, (with Lyon as coaching manager)
Pies = Choco.
So everyone in question moves one chair to the left when the music stops ?
I like it 👌

Must say I was hating Freos flooding , slow game style under Ross .
However he gets very big wraps from very high profile AFL people and coaching peers so maybe he has the capacity to re-invent a game style to suit the modern game .

Yeah I spent years not watching Freo when the Great Enemy was in charge. Now I quite enjoy Freo games.

Yeah I spent years not watching Freo when the Great Enemy was in charge. Now I quite enjoy Freo games.
To be fair it was mainly the last few years , prior to that we actually played some decent footy .
Feels like a long time ago .

I kind of hope he comes back , I think Carlton could use him .

Very interesting individual, I don’t know about the off - field allegations, seems like he said something dumb when he was drunk , who hasn’t?

Game has been getting a bit too high scoring lately Ross the boss is sure as sh*t to cut that down
If he’s the genius that some say he is surely he’s got more tricks up his sleeve?
Some hard edged discipline and leadership is what Carlton is lacking right now .
I’d hate to see it happen but Ross could take Walters with him on a 2-3 year contract and Walters could be that mature head .

To be fair it was mainly the last few years , prior to that we actually played some decent footy .
Feels like a long time ago .

I kind of hope he comes back , I think Carlton could use him .

Very interesting individual, I don’t know about the off - field allegations, seems like he said something dumb when he was drunk , who hasn’t?

That is really sugar coating it mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not sticking up for him
All I heard is he said “ you’ve got lovely budding boobs “
Cringe and unacceptable I know but if that’s all there was to it I don’t thinks exactly a lynchable offence .

enough to get you sacked at any other workplace and he would have been shown the door if he was the boot studder

I think with Ross, a lot of people have a view on him from years ago, and haven’t looked at the big picture. Yes, he has his faults, he is human.

Can’t develop youth ?. Was developing a nice group of youth players at Freo, shows that he had learnt from the critic at the Saints.

Got the Saints and Freo, to the Big Dances. How many coaches struggle to even do that ?.

His main skill is instilling discipline in the player group. Gets 100% out of his foot soldiers.

I think with Ross, a lot of people have a view on him from years ago, and haven’t looked at the big picture. Yes, he has his faults, he is human.

Can’t develop youth ?. Was developing a nice group of youth players at Freo, shows that he had learnt from the critic at the Saints.

Got the Saints and Freo, to the Big Dances. How many coaches struggle to even do that ?.

His main skill is instilling discipline in the player group. Gets 100% out of his foot soldiers.
Do you think he will coach again?

Do you think he will coach again?

He could straighten a team up, put a bit of lead in a team’s pencil.

If a team could get another chap to deal with things like development, Ross could just concentrate on nurturing his best 25 players. The other “coach” will look after the up and coming players, and help blend them into the teams game style.

I never saw him as a person with a totally negative game style. When he had the right players available, he pushed an aggressive forward wave.

He could put some “intestinal fortitude” into the GWS boys. Might not be good for the Gold Coast, as that is a long, long, long, long term build. ( big discussion about GS, not for this thread ). Collingwood is an option, but are there to many ego’s in the boardroom to deal with ?. Carlton is another option, same as GWS, could put some lead in the pencil, as they do have some talent spread over the ground, to work with.

By the by, yes Ross has a tainted image ( off & on the field ), but is he an orphan in this area ?. Grumpy Mick had periods when was an absolute pr...k around 3 clubs, but still got a job at a fourth. The “Boys Club” is full of people who make Ross look like a clean skin** !!!!.

** Not exempting Ross of any blame for indiscretions.

If a team could get another chap to deal with things like development, Ross could just concentrate on nurturing his best 25 players. The other “coach” will look after the up and coming players, and help blend them into the teams game style.

I never saw him as a person with a totally negative game style. When he had the right players available, he pushed an aggressive forward wave.

He could put some “intestinal fortitude” into the GWS boys. Might not be good for the Gold Coast, as that is a long, long, long, long term build. ( big discussion about GS, not for this thread ). Collingwood is an option, but are there to many ego’s in the boardroom to deal with ?. Carlton is another option, same as GWS, could put some lead in the pencil, as they do have some talent spread over the ground, to work with.

By the by, yes Ross has a tainted image ( off & on the field ), but is he an orphan in this area ?. Grumpy Mick had periods when was an absolute pr...k around 3 clubs, but still got a job at a fourth. The “Boys Club” is full of people who make Ross look like a clean skin** !!!!.

Grumpy Mick won three flags, got his teams to at least six GFs (?) and had just had his side play in two consecutive GFs when he got a fourth job.

Hear hear 👏
Couldn’t agree more
If I were Ross I wouldn’t go near Collingwood, way too many Egos and politics behind the scenes .
Decent playing group to work with if he could brush all that aside .
Ross much more likeable than Malthouse IMO , better coach maybe not .
Malthouses Eagles team could have won without a coach , pure footballers fuelled by a starry eyed states exultancy.

At his age he’s probably got a 5 year window left . Any of the teams polled could contend in that time .
Even Gold Coast if they bought in some big names and kept their youth , but sadly I can’t see either of those things happening.

Has Lyon even done any level of coaching since getting the arse in 2019?

Chocco at the very least has stayed heavily involved at multiple levels since his Port days.

I think some time out of the game can reinvigorate a coach, provided its not too long. I think if Buckley were to sit out 2022, he would be cherry ripe again to coach in 2023.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Ross the Boss

Back