Autopsy Round 1, 2017: Ess v Haw, **Ess supporters read the OP** Ban Hammer will be wielded with impunity

Remove this Banner Ad

Averages mean little without context

games experience we have players with a lot less games than the players they've replaced. That's rebuilding. We aren't building a new house, but we are refreshing the paint

We had about 2900 games in our 22, which again was the 2nd most experience out of the 18 round one teams.

I love the new Thread Title.... reminds me of Metallica...

image.skreened-t-shirt.white.w460h520b3z1.jpg

Apart from that, latched onto the Hawks about 1992 onwards several years of all the players who couldn't get in anywhere else. Like Fitzroy except the stars like piggy hung around through loyalty

Only in one short period at the end of schwabbys era did players look like they CGAF

Otherwise lots of enthusiasm and pride in the jumper. Pretty good times

It was never about the good of the competition when your wretched organisation dragged it through the mud for 5 years straight. Your fans never admit any wrongdoing or any fault - and then make bullshit unproven statements like "we weren't the only ones doing it".

Don't expect mercy or ask for respect from us. We all saw what the vast majority of your fans acted like during this saga. We're not stupid.
Every club has supplement programs.
The issue with Essendon is that they did theirs;
1. Off site
2. Without records (or they shredded the evidence)
3. Played the blame game by pointing to the league (the league who warned them to try and save them)

Positives:
I thought our pressure on the player with the ball was very good
McEvoy played well
We won more clearances (I believe) ; lingers had 7!
Rough back with 2 goals
Tom Mitchell

Negatives:
Poor disposal efficiency, particularly kicks inside 50
Our small forwards were largely well held
Our transitional defence when essendon got the ball from their Ballina was not quite up to standard
Too many players going up for a mark, or no one going up for the mark (ie we need to gel)
Essendon were sharking from either sides' long kicks to contests that went to ground

Last edited:
The turn overs due to fumbling and skill error continuously caught us out of position allowing easy goals over the back to their spreading players. fix that and goal kicking and we will be fine. On another note, after watching the replay i thought Hartung has copped it a bit harsh here.

The turn overs due to fumbling and skill error continuously caught us out of position allowing easy goals over the back to their spreading players. fix that and goal kicking and we will be fine. On another note, after watching the replay i thought Hartung has copped it a bit harsh here.

Yep; to underscore this: Essendon scored 13 goals 7 from our turnovers :eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I felt every single one.

It got to the point that when we turned it over you would just close your eyes, grimace and focus back on the centre square because that is where it was inevitably heading.

Now if he could just do that once or twice per game while maintaining his standard defensive output we could have a real player on our hands
Absolutely. It's the one area he's really struggled in the past. I actually thought it was Breust from the stands as it's not a play we're used to seeing from Shiels. Would love to see him add a more attacking element to his game. With O'Meara and Mitchell around him it may give him a licence to do more in the forward half and play more freely.

Absolutely. It's the one area he's really struggled in the past. I actually thought it was Breust from the stands as it's not a play we're used to seeing from Shiels. Would love to see him add a more attacking element to his game. With O'Meara and Mitchell around him it may give him a licence to do more in the forward half and play more freely.
We need him to continue to be defensive though. If we remove his lockdown nature and ability to tackle and tackle and tackle, we'll get pantsed every week.

We need him to continue to be defensive though. If we remove his lockdown nature and ability to tackle and tackle and tackle, we'll get pantsed every week.
Langer can lock down, why doesn't he swap rolls with Shiels? Sometimes even?

Last year Clarko made a point of singling Langers out and mentioned he needed to add something to his game. He needed to kick some midfield goals, or slot into the forward line. Something like that. I found it interesting that Shiels seemed to be immune from such talk. He could most definitely add some goal kicking to his game, and he could add another dimension by being more attacking in a different roll.

Spose once JOM and Shiels have somewhat learnt the ropes and settled, this sort of thing will still be on the agenda. Also on the menu is Langers playing second fiddle whilst the other kids at Box Hill get rotated through the team. Still the most expendable of the mids.

On another note, how much of an disruption or distraction was Roughies goal and the team getting round him?. Did we lose a little focus, did it rev the scum up for a counter punch? Did it have any influence at all?
Against the Syds last year, at the moment of acknowledgment, we all felt it. No doubt that some players felt it more than others, and it affected the team performance.
Wondering if anyone noticed anything or had some thoughts from the other night.

Langer can lock down, why doesn't he swap rolls with Shiels? Sometimes even?

Last year Clarko made a point of singling Langers out and mentioned he needed to add something to his game. He needed to kick some midfield goals, or slot into the forward line. Something like that. I found it interesting that Shiels seemed to be immune from such talk. He could most definitely add some goal kicking to his game, and he could add another dimension by being more attacking in a different roll.

Spose once JOM and Shiels have somewhat learnt the ropes and settled, this sort of thing will still be on the agenda. Also on the menu is Langers playing second fiddle whilst the other kids at Box Hill get rotated through the team. Still the most expendable of the mids.

On another note, how much of an disruption or distraction was Roughies goal and the team getting round him?. Did we lose a little focus, did it rev the scum up for a counter punch? Did it have any influence at all?
Against the Syds last year, at the moment of acknowledgment, we all felt it. No doubt that some players felt it more than others, and it affected the team performance.
Wondering if anyone noticed anything or had some thoughts from the other night.
completely different situation I feel. One was reminding all the players about their mate who was really sick and could die, the other was reminding all the players their mate was back playing footy and leading them out no less

completely different situation I feel. One was reminding all the players about their mate who was really sick and could die, the other was reminding all the players their mate was back playing footy and leading them out no less
Yes, obviouly different, but still an emotional time.

Don't know how you could train for something like that and wondered if it how it could, or would affect players. I'd have imagined it would be an uplifting and inspirational moment if anything, but I'm not in the players head. Who knows how it affects the subconscious?

I agree with you 100%, but if he can then make his opponent worry about him going the other way and scoring it'll create doubt and cause mistakes and uncertainty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 1, 2017: Ess v Haw, **Ess supporters read the OP** Ban Hammer will be wielded with impunity

Remove this Banner Ad

Back