Autopsy Round 1, 2017: Ess v Haw, **Ess supporters read the OP** Ban Hammer will be wielded with impunity

Remove this Banner Ad

For those that think this year is a rebuilding year, we had the 2nd oldest 22 in the league on Saturday night only behind the West Coast Eagles.
Good point...this is a massive worry. That team on Saturday night (even with hodge to come in) isn't going to win a premiership this year or next. Will be lucky to play finals.

The next two years, guys like burton, Stewart, Lovell, Hardwick, brand and heatherly need to play 30 games. What's the point of finishing 8-12? that's the best this current team can hope for..better off getting games into the under 22s and coping short term pain.

The above guys should all be in the side instead of guys like duryea, hartung, Langford, shoenmakers, Gibson (love him, but he's cooked).

For those that think this year is a rebuilding year, we had the 2nd oldest 22 in the league on Saturday night only behind the West Coast Eagles.
Averages mean little without context

games experience we have players with a lot less games than the players they've replaced. That's rebuilding. We aren't building a new house, but we are refreshing the paint

Good point...this is a massive worry. That team on Saturday night (even with hodge to come in) isn't going to win a premiership this year or next. Will be lucky to play finals.

The next two years, guys like burton, Stewart, Lovell, Hardwick, brand and heatherly need to play 30 games. What's the point of finishing 8-12? that's the best this current team can hope for..better off getting games into the under 22s and coping short term pain.

The above guys should all be in the side instead of guys like duryea, hartung, Langford, shoenmakers, Gibson (love him, but he's cooked).
Removing older players with wholesale changes isn't how you regenerate if you can help it.

As it was we had 4 new faces on Saturday night, and they will take a little bit of time to find their feet.

The transition to the regenerated team won't be as quick as some would like, and there will be a continual need to mix the older heads with those who are new to the senior team, in order to help them along.

Gibson and others will be required to run out with the newbs(both the traded and youngsters) to help bring them up to speed, while blokes like Schoenmakers and Langford(bigger, more experienced bodies) will continue to play roles while the youngsters tick off boxes at VFL.

The rebuild isn't going to happen in 5 games.

Except Gibbo those guys are not old

Maybe this isn't a rebuild as much as it is a renovation or building a granny flat out the back.

18 debutants last 2 years...we have been doing minor works for a while now. Just need a tall key def, line breaking half back, and big bodied brute mid and we'll be set. Getting those , or finding them with what we have, will be tough

Hwthorns round one history in ten year blocks

2007-2016 rd 1 won 5 lost 5 return four flags missed finals once. round one loss in premiership year 2103

1997-2006 rd 1 won 5 lost 5 best finish PF 2001 from 6th missed finals 8 from 10

1987-1996 rd 1 won 7 lost 3 obviously 87-91 (4 grand finals from 5;3 premierships) better than 92-96 (missed finals once but no wins) notable round one losses 1991 lost to crows by 86 in flag year 1989 lost to Collingwood by 10 at waverley 18=988 lost to carlton by 15 princes park recorded then record winning margin in grand final

1977-1986 rd 1 won 6 lost 4 missed finals 3 times but 6 grand finals for 4 flags

1967-1976 rd 1 won 6 lost 4 only four finals series for 2 flags

Pretty average round one club really

The Saints fully endorse this! lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did Bomber fans around you stand and cheer Roughy as well? Or at least clap him well.

Nope. My wife and I were the only ones who got to our feet - couldn't see anyone else in front or in my periphery who joined in.

Yet you are naive enough to believe that Essendon were the only club in the midst of it.

The Essendon administrators who did wrong, gone, 70% of the players who did wrong, gone. The ones who are left have served a year on the sidelines and done their time.

The fans, the members. I've been to the footy nearly every week for the past 4 years to watch my team get belted, and you think it's absurd that after paying our time we should be able to excited about a win? Excited about a win against one of the better clubs in the competition?

The Hawks have enjoyed 4 Premierships in 8 years and well done to them for that. But for Essendon, could we please, please, please just move on from these kinds of posts. I know I am on your board and I respect that, but let's make it about the footy... for the good of the competition as a whole. Cheers!

It was never about the good of the competition when your wretched organisation dragged it through the mud for 5 years straight. Your fans never admit any wrongdoing or any fault - and then make bullshit unproven statements like "we weren't the only ones doing it".

Don't expect mercy or ask for respect from us. We all saw what the vast majority of your fans acted like during this saga. We're not stupid.

No thanks, what would be the point in that?
Well it would be about the same point as if it weren't peptide free. See how essendrug went in 2012/13?

I really feel like you guys need to start blooding your young players. Hardwick in particular was one I wanted really badly at the Dons, I think he will he a great small forward. Figured you guys would play Lovell this year with Mitchell gone for sure. How's Burton going? I know he slipped down the draft order because of a leg injury, looked great though, what I saw.

Gibson looked like he'd retired already, on Saturday night, there's almost no need for him to play when you could be blooding young players IMO.

I really feel like you guys need to start blooding your young players. Hardwick in particular was one I wanted really badly at the Dons, I think he will he a great small forward. Figured you guys would play Lovell this year with Mitchell gone for sure. How's Burton going? I know he slipped down the draft order because of a leg injury, looked great though, what I saw.

Gibson looked like he'd retired already, on Saturday night, there's almost no need for him to play when you could be blooding young players IMO.
4 new faces on Saturday, so blooding youngsters too would've been a bit of a mess.

Burton, Stewart, Lovell, O'Brien will all get games in coming weeks you'd think.

would love it if the Hawks developed Daniel Howe into a stoppage big bodied mid. he played there a little in 2015 and from the small sample ive seen he can help us out in the clinches by using his frame and size to clear the ball in clearences. it seems our younger brigade like Howe, JOR or Lovell are been made to play HB or wing!! I just wish Clarko would let them off the leash a bit and go and get a bit of the ball and build confidence.

For all that Hawthorn looked poor you still scored pretty well. I can't see how Mitchell and O'Meara will not get better for you, and you'll get a better return from Roughead, Gunston and Rioli most weeks too.

Aside from down back, and maybe a player or two in the midfield who needs to kick on, there's still a decent side. If you get two younger guys coming on to support Frawley and Stratton, and get another genuine mid (not sure Langford is going to be that guy) then you'll be back in the finals conversation soon enough.

One of your best posts KOLOKOTRONIS. We are not the team of 4 years ago, but we are in a similar position to 09/10. Adjustments are needed and we need to find a balance between personnel and game plan again. It will take a while, enjoy the ride in the meantime and remember we have been privileged enough to witness a once in a lifetime type era.

I can't wait to witness my third once in a lifetime era.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 1, 2017: Ess v Haw, **Ess supporters read the OP** Ban Hammer will be wielded with impunity

Remove this Banner Ad

Back