Preview Round 1, 2022: St.Kilda v Collingwood - Marvel Stadium, Friday 18th March, 7:50PM AEDT

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Magpies

Votes: 20 22.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ironically we did draft a ‘ pure’mid Luke Dunstan… also The fact is that most of these guys are drafted playing two positions. For instance Bont - Forward Mid
Trac - Forward Mid
Steele - Forward Mid
Mccluggage - Forward mid

The obsession with drafting a ‘pure’ mid can quote limiting. Often these guys only play mid for a reason perhaps they lack the athleticism to play up forward or the smarts/skill to play elsewhere. Besides it’s really not that big of a deal.
Yeah most of the best mids have another string to their bow like being able to play forward, it doesn't mean they aren't a pure mid.

Ironically we did draft a ‘ pure’mid Luke Dunstan… also The fact is that most of these guys are drafted playing two positions. For instance Bont - Forward Mid
Trac - Forward Mid
Steele - Forward Mid
Mccluggage - Forward mid

The obsession with drafting a ‘pure’ mid can quote limiting. Often these guys only play mid for a reason perhaps they lack the athleticism to play up forward or the smarts/skill to play elsewhere. Besides it’s really not that big of a deal.

I'm not sure Steele was a forward mid except that at the Giants they couldn't use another pure mid.

McLuggage was a pure mid with some outside game from memory. I remember Barrels had a hard on for him and was a forum favourite, He was a clearance winner and high possession getter in TAC from memory.

Trac was a forward/mid who was going into the midfield and dominating though so not quite an unknown quantity. Fitness was the only thing that would ever hold him back, he was considered a bit of a fatty.

Luke Dunstan was a pure mid, just not a great one. He probably started to improve around 24 to 25 but was injured in a lot of that time. Once he got bak in he played much better footy. That seems a pretty regular time frame. I guess he's also a lesson of not putting all your eggs in one basket.

So why don't we start drafting mids? We have an issue with recruiting them. In the era of the midfielders we are a dinosaur doing our own thing based on model that won WCE a premiership by an unlikely point. We must be obsessed with history repeating. Fans have wanted to draft mids since Lenny Hayes was still playing, we seem to find HBFs that we hope might play mids year after year.
It's not really that simple.
From the last few drafts that I remember there were not really any mids available at our picks.
That is probably except for bailey Smith, but I would suggest 90% of all teams would take King over Smith.
Nwm is a mid albeit on the wing.

2020 we picked up Allison but if you look at the draft there are no good mids picked up after him (maybe Lazaro).

If we get a top 5 pick we can definitely pick a mid, but with our recent picks we have to get the best player available as there are just not that many mids left around our picks.

I would also imagine that they are putting high hopes on both the nga boys from last year.

On Pixel 3 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm talking a pure Olly Wines/ Clayton Oliver ball pig style midfielder. We can't win clearance without Ryder

That is literally what Jack Bytel is. Patience grasshopper.

Gresham is also very good at winning clearances. Had 9 in his last full game, against Gawn/Jackson, Oliver, Petracca, Viney and co. and while roving to Paul Hunter!

Actually prefer that, we get ahead of ourselves and lose the easy ones every now and again. Favourites just gives us an excuse to trip over at the starting line again.
Hey its not hard to feel inclined to tip the PIES in terms of being detached and unemotional...they have some great players..so do we....Round 1 strange things happen and lets face it we are not the team that you want to put your house on at the moment....that's why these first few games are so vital......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

T-minus 1 hour to meltdown!!!

Melting Ice Cream GIF

I'm not sure Steele was a forward mid except that at the Giants they couldn't use another pure mid.

McLuggage was a pure mid with some outside game from memory. I remember Barrels had a hard on for him and was a forum favourite, He was a clearance winner and high possession getter in TAC from memory.

Trac was a forward/mid who was going into the midfield and dominating though so not quite an unknown quantity. Fitness was the only thing that would ever hold him back, he was considered a bit of a fatty.

Luke Dunstan was a pure mid, just not a great one. He probably started to improve around 24 to 25 but was injured in a lot of that time. Once he got bak in he played much better footy. That seems a pretty regular time frame. I guess he's also a lesson of not putting all your eggs in one basket.
Steele was absolutely a half forward mid in his year for ACT. He had a game where he kicked 4 in the champs. One of the reasons he has such good forward craft.

Jezz he looks good when he tucks the ball under his arm and goes for a run through traffic ala against the bombers.
Jade looks in fantastic nick and was moving incredibly well.

He was largely getting by on talent early in his career. Was overweight and well short of prime fitness.

If he has a relatively good run at it from here it’s going to be fun to watch and Steele will undoubtedly have that “A-grade partner”.

Jezz he looks good when he tucks the ball under his arm and goes for a run through traffic ala against the bombers.
Really going to need him on Friday night but I dont think he will get a lot of time in the midfield basically due to the year off he has had. Might be very fit but would probably be a bit rusty!!!!

Sold out is a bit of a funky term. Docklands can seat thousands more than the AFL record there. Even the AFL record (St Kilda vs Geelong) is a thousand more than the next highest AFL match. When tickets are exhausted but thousands don't show up it just highlights the number of passengers in the system.

View attachment 1345416
Couldn’t those other events have people seated on the turf, too? I know the UFC would have thousands on the floor, can’t see why rugby and soccer couldn’t do the same

Are you blokes okay? 😂

Our best football is with 2 ruckmen. Playing Marshall as a lone ruck to play Sharman - facing Grundy and Cox,when we have enough forwards is insane.

We are also down a number of starting mids.

But let’s not play a bloke like Hayes - who is a more attacking version of Jason Blake. Is versatile. Can play mutilples roles.

Because Cooper Sharman, the leading forward - has a fan club.

There honestly needs to be some common sense. It was pretty obvious that Sharman was on the fringes when he got a quarter against Essendon. If he is that good - a game in the 2s to find some form is perfectly fine.

youve highlighted the biggest risk in this game

have people already forgotten the absolute beating the pies handed to us not long ago when grundy dominated us

Rather not play one of Higgins or Butler, and give Sharman a game- it would force Collingwood to send a tall into our forward line and probably unbalance their system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back