Preview Round 1, 2022: St.Kilda v Collingwood - Marvel Stadium, Friday 18th March, 7:50PM AEDT

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Magpies

Votes: 20 22.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The four picks after Ben Long were Brendan Parfitt (Geelong "coach-em-up job), Zac Fisher (small forward who doesn't kick goals), Patrick Lipinski (at second club), and Shai Bolton, who is the one everyone raises, but would absolutely not have flourished at St Kilda. Bolton needed to be in a good situation like Richmond became.

The only player between Long and Battle who would have been a better fit IMO was Sean Darcy, but 2016 was the year we picked Rowan Marshall in the rookie draft.
Fcuk are we gonna go over this same shit every year

I know its "only round 1" but ill be so dissapointed if we lose. Yes we have some outs but cmon we made finals 2 years ago.. rutten has been in the job long enough we should be contending for the top 8. Collingwood have a new coah and a tonne of no name players they are rebuilding. It will be a complete disaster if we lose. imo.

Gringo he could well be a star but when they state his weakness is he is slow, it not what we really need another slow mid.
You may be able to get away being slow at TAC level but not AFL.
The only genuine mid we considered was Hobbs.

NWM is huge bust potential. But if he makes it. We are talking star.

His disposal is phenomenal. His vision to place the ball is something special.

You take that over another Dunstan like mid.

Exactly how I feel, NWM is high bust factor but high reward. Hobbs looks much more certain to be at least a good player with scope to be a gun still.

Can't wait for the team announcement this evening, genuinely in the dark with regards to how they'll go with a number of selections. Won't be at all surprised if this is nowhere near it but will give it a whirl...

Webster, Howard, Wilkie
Sinclair, Battle, Hill,
Ross, Steele, Wood
Higgins, Membrey, Byrnes
Butler, King, Sharman
Marshall, Crouch, Gresham
Paton, Owens, Hayes, McKenzie

If Bytel isn't selected, to me it doesn't sound like he will be, then I'd like to see Michito in there for a bit of early season excitement.

It also doesn't sound like Sharman is going to be selected, though I think without Paddy there's room for both he and Hayes. Sharman the key forward, Hayes the hole plugger.

Byrnes I'm yet to be convinced, has pace which we lack without Jones, maybe could play on the wing for a bit if they use Ross as a tagger, though I'd probably prefer Dmac there.

Bench looks pretty good considering all the outs.

I really feel like I've forgotten someone? (and I'm not talking about Hannebery! :drunk::p)

I know its "only round 1" but ill be so dissapointed if we lose. Yes we have some outs but cmon we made finals 2 years ago.. rutten has been in the job long enough we should be contending for the top 8. Collingwood have a new coah and a tonne of no name players they are rebuilding. It will be a complete disaster if we lose. imo.
agree mate

The four picks after Ben Long were Brendan Parfitt (Geelong "coach-em-up job), Zac Fisher (small forward who doesn't kick goals), Patrick Lipinski (at second club), and Shai Bolton, who is the one everyone raises, but would absolutely not have flourished at St Kilda. Bolton needed to be in a good situation like Richmond became.

The only player between Long and Battle who would have been a better fit IMO was Sean Darcy, but 2016 was the year we picked Rowan Marshall in the rookie draft.
So the only reason the two best players mentioned are so good is because of the club's they went to and had little to do with picking the best talent and they would have been no good at our club?

Mate I'm not meaning to be too much on the attack but all your talk of we and us and ours and Rutten when your team is Essendon makes me feel a little queasy.

So which is it?

i now support. st kilda because i moved to a house right near the training ground
I support St Kilda because my family is/was from the St Kilda / Elwood area - 4th generation supporter, my kids are 5th generation. Family tradition. Really didn't have a choice. Religion (Christian / Presbyterian) was shoved down my throat but no big deal that I wasn't a believer. Supporting the Saints or not, that was another thing all together.

Last edited:
5U9rHtM.gif

Contested ball seems to equate to winning footy these days. Libba turning back into a star inside mid probably thrust the Dogs up the ladder faster than most other improvements. I think we've ignored that role for a long time. Wines, Oliver, Libba, Cunnington types don't need to rely on having a 36 year old ruckman being wheeled out to compete.

We really have to hope that Bytel comes on because there isn't many others on the list that look close to ready. We were so obsessed with balanced mids that we have ignored the missing piece.
Dunstan was that inside ball pig...my local bartender, the one who really rates Hayes...told me last night he thinks Dunstan is better than Crouch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dunstan was that inside ball pig...my local bartender, the one who really rates Hayes...told me last night he thinks Dunstan is better than Crouch.
Dunstan better then Crouch lol your bartender needs stop drinking the product

Last edited:
So the only reason the two best players mentioned are so good is because of the club's they went to and had little to do with picking the best talent and they would have been no good at our club?

As a rule, I don't do the "what if" game with anyone drafted by Geelong or Sydney. Swap the players and the result would probably have been the same. Both those clubs have a long and proven record of drafting low and turning those players into good players.

I don't really rate Fisher and Lipinski is at his second club already.

i now support. st kilda because i moved to a house right near the training ground
crash course just complain about petracca (prepare for a spicy matchup when Mccartin matches up on Petracca in defence), sharman is the greatest player in the world, Ross is a ball butcher, Dunstan is underrated/overrated and everyone loves Patrick Ryder

As a rule, I don't do the "what if" game with anyone drafted by Geelong or Sydney. Swap the players and the result would probably have been the same. Both those clubs have a long and proven record of drafting low and turning those players into good players.

I don't really rate Fisher and Lipinski is at his second club already.
I'd take all 4 ahead of Long.

Hindsight is a great thing but Bolton was the obvious choice at the time.

Would be super nice if Brad Crouch got back to his best this season. Would go a long way to getting our midfield competitive.

Would be super nice if Brad Crouch got back to his best this season. Would go a long way to getting our midfield competitive.
If Bytel can overcome his calf/concussion issues (which is it?) and hopefully has improved his tank, our midfield will look a lot different and this will only help Brad's game in my opinion.

Bring it on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back