Preview Round 1 2023: North v WC, at Marvel 1:45pm Saturday March 18

Remove this Banner Ad

37 years on Big Footy and you don't know NTTAWWT?
seinfeld-gay.gif

Jack Darling is 191cm compared to Bonar 190cm. It’s not as bad as people are making it out to be.
Thank you. Took almost 10 pages for someone to mention this.

Has anyone seen Darling play? Yes he's a tall but he does his best work at ground level. Like buddy he barely takes a mark above his head. While I'd prefer dawson and Corr over Bonar, i see the logic behind it.

Al clearly sees something in Bonar. He may be trying to turn him into North's version of Gibson or Sicily. Both played taller in Hawthorn's backline and are only 189cm.

Happy with the X selection. We should have traded Goldstein for a late first/early 2nd in the off-season.

Would prefer Dawson/Corr over Ziebell and Phillips over Turner.

As someone mentioned earlier, these selection surprises make the game more interesting now.

**** West Coast.

My goodness you've all lost your minds. In 37 degree heat the one ruck makes sense.
I guess we're not used to tactical team selections, might take us all some time to adjust, we're used to playing 2 rucks, 3 tall forwards and 3 tall defenders in the heat or in wet conditions with no changes whatsoever as was during Scott era.
Smallish backline is interesting but perhaps Clarko thinks the fitness will be a key in the heat.
Bergman selection is a nice surprise, he did some nice things in pre-season so not a total shock.
Goater and Powell deserved selection over Perez and Phillips. Curtis Taylor I think is a better AFL player right now than Phillips.
Stevo I thought had quite a good pre-season I thought, seemed more involved and committed physically.
Looking forward to it, win or lose, I just hope they play well and have a red hot crack.

I just hope they play well and have a red hot crack.

The same was said to the “participants” on Annabel Chong’s record breaking day and I agree with you chubbs.

Turner looks like he’ll be locked on to Shuey.

Too hot for two rucks and X is the form ruckman of the two.

I want pressure and sustained effort.

Bring it on!

North by 20.

The very fact that it’s sadly true that this is one of our few winnable games just makes me sad. I need this “rebuilding” era to be over. I so miss the strong rooboys that many of us knew back in the day. I’m so over hating footy seasons before they’ve even begun.
Well said, exactly my thoughts
Used to watch all big games but only watched last quarter last night
Norths ineptitude and hopelessness just making me watch much less AFL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quite a few unexpected selections. Quite a few I would not have chosen. I am really heartened by this though as our team has a lot of experimenting to do to find the unexpected synergies which will be in there. I think this board has great collective wisdom about the best way to pick a best conventional team from our squad, and this team is not that. It reeks of a coach who is excited with new charges, comfortable and confident. It looks like Clarko has a thing he wants to try, and he is ****ing well going to try it. We will learn a lot one way or the other, and learn it fast. It makes me feel more excited for the week and frankly for the future.

That said there are a few things which terrify me, chief among them the idea of X going down, leaving Chom and Logue to split that work between them. Especially with the extra bench spot I would definitely have opted for two ruckman, heat be dammed.

Didn't think Taylor was quite there, didn't think we'd risk Zurharr, thought we'd take a chance on Corr, didn't think Goldy needed to bust a nut in the preseason to be a walk up start, didn't think we'd opt for Bergman in R1, thought WhiPhi did more than enough over praccies, thought Dawson was likely after McKay, and would have been a cert without Corr.

The other thing is that, given the surprises at the selection table, you've got to think oppo plans will be under pressure too. So that's also a big positive. Let's get this new era started!

Jack Darling is 191cm compared to Bonar 190cm. It’s not as bad as people are making it out to be.
What is the weight difference just out of curiosity?

It’s not a bad match up really. Darling does 95% of the damage on the lead which means that size is not AS important.

However, Bonar is going to need to improve his accountability to his man and not get lost marking players as he has done in the past. Hoping he does well.

Quite a few unexpected selections. Quite a few I would not have chosen. I am really heartened by this though as our team has a lot of experimenting to do to find the unexpected synergies which will be in there. I think this board has great collective wisdom about the best way to pick a best conventional team from our squad, and this team is not that. It reeks of a coach who is excited with new charges, comfortable and confident. It looks like Clarko has a thing he wants to try, and he is ******* well going to try it. We will learn a lot one way or the other, and learn it fast. It makes me feel more excited for the week and frankly for the future.

That said there are a few things which terrify me, chief among them the idea of X going down, leaving Chom and Logue to split that work between them. Especially with the extra bench spot I would definitely have opted for two ruckman, heat be dammed.

Didn't think Taylor was quite there, didn't think we'd risk Zurharr, thought we'd take a chance on Corr, didn't think Goldy needed to bust a nut in the preseason to be a walk up start, didn't think we'd opt for Bergman in R1, thought WhiPhi did more than enough over praccies, thought Dawson was likely after McKay, and would have been a cert without Corr.

The other thing is that, given the surprises at the selection table, you've got to think oppo plans will be under pressure too. So that's also a big positive. Let's get this new era started!
We have to trust (at least initially) the team selected, but it is disappointing to see so many players who I assume are underdone come straight in (Taylor -I am a fan- and Zurhaar-criminally slow to get started - among them).

I get the feeling Monkey doesn’t rate Goldy much. Prefers the physical rucks.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Perhaps Monkhurst’s opinion needs adjusting. I just cannot see -unless he is underdone - how Goldstein doesn’t add to the team. You could play him as a river with X as ruck and would still add to the team.

With Corr, Bmac and Hall, Thomas (trained off half back) to come back in to the back 6 this could be one of the last times we see JZ as a starter. I actually think he makes a great sub. Could be thrown across all 3 lines incase of injury

My goodness you've all lost your minds. In 37 degree heat the one ruck makes sense.
I guess we're not used to tactical team selections, might take us all some time to adjust, we're used to playing 2 rucks, 3 tall forwards and 3 tall defenders in the heat or in wet conditions with no changes whatsoever as was during Scott era.
Smallish backline is interesting but perhaps Clarko thinks the fitness will be a key in the heat.
Bergman selection is a nice surprise, he did some nice things in pre-season so not a total shock.
Goater and Powell deserved selection over Perez and Phillips. Curtis Taylor I think is a better AFL player right now than Phillips.
Stevo I thought had quite a good pre-season I thought, seemed more involved and committed physically.
Looking forward to it, win or lose, I just hope they play well and have a red hot crack.
I recall this happening in the identical fixture a couple of seasons ago. Hot as f&@( rd 1 vs WC, went tall and they went on dry on us

The very fact that it’s sadly true that this is one of our few winnable games just makes me sad. I need this “rebuilding” era to be over. I so miss the strong rooboys that many of us knew back in the day. I’m so over hating footy seasons before they’ve even begun.
I understand what you are feeling, but don’t share it. Maybe I’ll never quite get over the near-death experience we all went through with the Gold Coast push, but the thrill of having my team to watch hasn’t even started to get old, no matter what happens out there. Also I was genuinely pessimistic most weeks even through the 90s, so heading along with nervous anticipation about the result is just part of going to the football for me!

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Round 1 2023: North v WC, at Marvel 1:45pm Saturday March 18

Remove this Banner Ad

Back