Preview Round 1 2023: North v WC, at Marvel 1:45pm Saturday March 18

Remove this Banner Ad

Curtis Taylor is one that I'm excited to watch. We haven't seen much of him this preseason, but his inclusion this week suggests that Clarko is a fan.

So far it looks like Clarkson's coaching philosophy is that the rotating wing should come from the half back line. From the practice matches, we can assume that Clarko's wing rotation on Saturday will likely be 80% Scott, 80% Shiels and 40% Goater.

This means that Taylor will play as a permanent half-forward after spending the last two years on the wing. I think most wouldn't be surprised to learn that half-forward is his best position, as the wing experiment was always questionable for a dangerous player without elite running power. Anyways, I'm excited to see how it goes.
Think he will still get some decent wing time (played there in both vfl prac matches) but mostly forward

Logue - Allen (Disappointed with this, as Griff would be great to try and free up throughout the day, but this has to happen)
Mcdonald - Darling
Bonar - Ryan (Nervous)

Ziebell as loose as we can get him all day. Cant really have him playing on anyone.

Theres genuinely 6 blokes out of our best team here:

Hall
Mckay
Goldstein
Phillips
Thomas
Corr
Darling to kick 24 goals.

Looking forward to seeing you all at the game, I'm predicting a resounding North win before we famously go on to win every single game of the season against teams lower than us on the ladder at the time we play and lose every one to those above. Cos why not have a batshit theory to enjoy.

It could be a tough ask to beat every team below us on the ladder if we have a resounding win in round 1. Although Freo does have StKilda so there's a very good chance that they will have a better % going into round 2 than we would have even if we manage the resounding win first up.

I thought it was pretty obvious that Goldy is being managed to start the year.

He was rested against the Tigers and played 42% of the game against the Dogs when typically he is one of the team’s highest TOG% players of the last decade. On the ‘Inner North’ episode he and Cunners even joked about him needing a recliner chair on the bench because he was going to spend the majority of the game there.

Clearly in 37°C heat and with no Nic Nat for West Coast the club saw it as a good opportunity to continue to ease him into the year and run with one ruck. He’s an emergency because if something happens to X pre-game he’s the only other AFL quality ruckman fit.

I’d say he misses a few more games this year. 11+ years of barley missing will eventually catch up.
This does make an awful lot of sense, and as such is probably not in the true spirit of Bigfooty. Also does anybody have any more information about the importance of barley, I've never really considered it that important in my diet.

Too many negative Nancies, at least let us wait for us to play a s**t game before we start to pot everyone.

Get over yourself. It’s panic stations time. That is the worst side named in the history of our club. Hug your kids before tomorrows game, as the end is nigh.

In saying that, north by 25

Bonar on Darling could be ok. In his good games last year, and there were good games despite what some are saying, his closing speed and spoiling was noticeable. I'd still feel more comfortable with Dawson but it is what it is
💯

2022 saw Tarrant Atley and Dumont out of the backline
and yesterday has Hall McKay Corr Young and Perez all out or unavailable

so to say the backline is a work in progress well no, it is literally going to be invented at 1.45 Saturday

I think this will be interesting as well. I too haven't been convinced that was his best position. He works bloody hard on field, so a high-ish half forward with neat skills that puts his body on the line and runs until he looks like a beetroot is something to work with. Many of us have spent years sighing in frustration when players like Turner played defensive forward with no real risk of goals - maybe this will be a better solution.
He's also a gun contested mark. Back in early 2020 he looked like he could be anything.

Kicked a goal every two and a half games last year too. Off a wing, and in a team that averaged about eight a game. Rapt that Clarko has identified his forward potential

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's also a gun contested mark. Back in early 2020 he looked like he could be anything.

Kicked a goal every two and a half games last year too. Off a wing, and in a team that averaged about eight a game. Rapt that Clarko has identified his forward potential
Yeah, good mark pound for pound I agree.

Hope he smashes it.

creed-bratton-the-office.gif

Round 1 selections are best approached as above. This is a Clarkson "captain's call" side IMO.

There's no consistent rules. Some players seem to be there for experience over performance. Some players seem there for opportunity over experience. Some players seem there without experience or form.

In isolation without seeing our gameplan unveiled in anger this year or getting a handle on exactly how Clarkson & Co are treating 2023, it's difficult to gauge much from the lineup.

But it's more fun to have some thoughts so mine are..

+ve
Great to see these high talent guys in the side for potential long term gain: Powell, Goater, Comben, Curtis
Love the potential redemption of the Kayne
Sheezel debut predictable but exciting nonetheless
Happy that Bonar and Stephenson are in the starting side
Surprised but happy Bergman's decent preseason output translated to a Round 1 spot

?/-ve
Taylor being rushed in without senior praccie form surprises me
Goldie not selected, wow. But maybe it's now or never (at a season level) for Xerri to step up and show he can bring it week on week vs the big boys
For long term structure would've liked a 2nd tall defender in the side

Hardly played for 2 years, covid x 2, glandular fever, 37dgC day. Injury sub ?
Nah. Will, 4q in the VFL, get the miles in son. Not far away.
Nate has spoken Hoj. You know he can be a little bit stubborn and he rarely concedes an argument even when he is completely bloody wrong.

Cunners shiels and greenwood very slow midfield

I’d only play 1 of them (cunners)
cunners with powell in the center as well fast ball movement, both have hery good hands, fast hands trump ball carying. at least at stoppages, but yes in general play especially transitioning lack of leg speed can be detrimental.

Agree. Got to back Al in and let him sort through the list... although to be fair every time I've seen Sicily tasked with genuinely minding a tall player he's been obliterated. He's not a stopper. It's about a list and system, not a single player.
100%

It's the system that matters. A good defensive system is exactly how the dogs, tigs and hawthorn had success. Everyone helping out each other.

Al will have his work cut out for him though because bonar tends to react 0.5s slower than his opponent. Also, North's 'helping out' generally means 4 players will go up for the ball with no one minding the small forwards. Or alternatively, Ziebell will go to help out and end up crashing into bonar instead, resulting in a concussion or corkie.

Onwards and upwards...

Oh I like it , no Perez amd no Phillips.
Greenwood is in and al Clarko is going with his preferred shorter backline model.
Goldy a bit of a shock but yeah Xerri can make it his own.
Maybe we’ll off load McKay.

North by 45 .
A canter I tell yas.

Love you al ❤️❤️
Not too sure that's on the cards but it would be a rare bold move from North to allow an in demand prime player go for an absolute premium and back in that our system can get more of the right talent, ready at the right age group for the price. In Al (and team) we trust.

Just saw this on the Twitters. They (North Melbourne Closer to a Flag group on Facebook) provided one of the few crowd highlights from last season.
Good to see the club supporting their efforts to build up some more active crowd support.
Where I sit in Aisle 17 could do with some more atmosphere and with a few more North people. In recent years the numbers have thinned out. Tis handily located near the Social Club though.

The AFL will activate its extreme heat policy for two day games this weekend as players prepare to swelter through 37 degree temperatures in Melbourne.

The risks of dehydration will soar for the North Melbourne and West Coast and GWS versus Adelaide clashes due to the boiling forecasts.
The league has told the clubs water carriers will have unlimited access to the ground, meaning players won’t have to wait until a set shot or a score to have a drink.

Clubs will also be permitted one extra trainer to carry fluids for the games.

The quarter time and three quarter time breaks will also be extended by two minutes for the GWS versus Adelaide game in Sydney on Sunday with a top temperature of 32 expected.

Clubs are expected to incorporate the use of ice vests and fans down on the boundary to help keep players cool on the bench.
The league has told clubs it will continue to monitor the forecasts and update the allowances if necessary.

Clubs will also be permitted to use the sub as per normal, allowing teams to inject a fresh player into the game for tactical or medical reasons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Round 1 2023: North v WC, at Marvel 1:45pm Saturday March 18

Remove this Banner Ad

Back