Game Day Round 1. Hawks V Blues. 1/9/24

Remove this Banner Ad

Breed only got a fine for the heavy tackle. Batesy and baskaran also fined for other minor incidents.

No forced changes from the weekend for the game against the Pies. Assume only change would maybe be Mack Eardley for Billy Elliott if the former is fit.

IMG_6341.jpeg

Breed only got a fine for the heavy tackle. Batesy and baskaran also fined for other minor incidents.

No forced changes from the weekend for the game against the Pies. Assume only change would maybe be Mack Eardley for Billy Elliott if the former is fit.

View attachment 2099100
may also come in for someone like Vukic. Vukic I feel was a match up selection to help deal with Carlton's size

I agree on Eardley for Elliott. Billy is my fav of the defenders but can't drop Kemp or Everist based on that performance. Smith and TLR take up other roles so she ends up being the unlucky one. Whilst they may not have had as much to do thanks to wind and Carlton's midfield woes, the defenders held the line well and made key efforts when needed.

Vukic is probably a how they match up decision and also if they want to keep Aine in the forward line as much as possible. Wouldn't be surprised if the other youngsters like Stone or Williamson get rotated out.

Feel like with Gilroy/McDonagh/Bodey we have our goal kickers and Hipwell included in there we now have a rather good forward line full of options. Combine with roaming midfielders, Strats when fit and about the only people unhappy may be Fellows/Locke.

Midfield really clicking is what excited me most about the game. We have so many options now. Reminder Melbourne couldn't fit West in their team, BOG for Hawls Rd1 is definitely a statement. She's going to keep profiting off the class of Bates, who's skills are so good, having all the attention on her. The gravity she pulls from the opposition helps everyone else. And for every other occasion there's Breed and her strength. Holy moly. Fleming bursting through a pack will never get old, her running will be so important for us still (as long as Forest Gump doesn't make a cameo again). Wings were also good and everyone who rotated through kept up the pressure. Overall, the tackling they were known for under Bec hasn't been lost.

Plenty of tougher tests to come, but great start to the season.

Haven't really watched much AFLW in all honesty, I did a bit at the start but haven't for a while - the players are definitely much better now than they were even if spread a bit thin across too many clubs at this stage.

That said, Mattea Breed is an absolute jet.

I agree on Eardley for Elliott. Billy is my fav of the defenders but can't drop Kemp or Everist based on that performance. Smith and TLR take up other roles so she ends up being the unlucky one. Whilst they may not have had as much to do thanks to wind and Carlton's midfield woes, the defenders held the line well and made key efforts when needed.

Vukic is probably a how they match up decision and also if they want to keep Aine in the forward line as much as possible. Wouldn't be surprised if the other youngsters like Stone or Williamson get rotated out.

Feel like with Gilroy/McDonagh/Bodey we have our goal kickers and Hipwell included in there we now have a rather good forward line full of options. Combine with roaming midfielders, Strats when fit and about the only people unhappy may be Fellows/Locke.

Midfield really clicking is what excited me most about the game. We have so many options now. Reminder Melbourne couldn't fit West in their team, BOG for Hawls Rd1 is definitely a statement. She's going to keep profiting off the class of Bates, who's skills are so good, having all the attention on her. The gravity she pulls from the opposition helps everyone else. And for every other occasion there's Breed and her strength. Holy moly. Fleming bursting through a pack will never get old, her running will be so important for us still (as long as Forest Gump doesn't make a cameo again). Wings were also good and everyone who rotated through kept up the pressure. Overall, the tackling they were known for under Bec hasn't been lost.

Plenty of tougher tests to come, but great start to the season.
I think you can add Sherriff to the goal kicking list, I reckon the record score round one is just the start of building up to some seriously big scores.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Round 1. Hawks V Blues. 1/9/24

Remove this Banner Ad

Back