• Pickett

Votes: 32 11.6%
  • Ross

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
His tackle and pressure act stats were low. I'm not expecting him to be in the team this week

Very simplistic way of looking at it. Not saying he will keep his spot but the coaches will be using the film of what he did off the ball to justify selecting him. A 100 metre spring off the ball to force the opposition to use a different option or have to go back over their mark doesn't get recorded with any stat but if this is what Mansell was doing then he will have played his role.

Personally I was happy he was selected on the basis of last years team selection during the the last third of the season lacked any planning. Mansell likely isn't the answer but its good that the coaching staff is trying to address what was a massive issue in the run home last season.

You honestly believe picking Mansell helped the team draw? FMD 🤣

Hardwick deserves criticism just because we've won 3 flags in his time doesn't mean he is immune to it nor does it mean he never makes a mistake.

He ****ed up at the selection table. took a gamble and it cost us. We are lucky we got away with at least 2 points.

No that’s not what I said at all. I love Cumbo and I reckon Mansell is a bit of a Stevie Morris upgrade atm. All I’m saying is that match committee needed someone to play a specific role and Mansell was best option for last week. Cumbo obviously was not.
Long term Tiger fans still have nfi how the game plan works. Kicks, marks, handballs and goals fmd.
We all got a great insight at George’s exit speech. Listen to Hardwick. We need soldiers to run, harass, block exits, protect the fat side. No stats. But ffs George won 3 flags doing it and it is vital. It allows Dusty, Shai etc to do what they do.
And MAYBE Mansell did some of that stuff on Thursday and it stopped Carlton defenders waltzing thru our f50.
Clearly selectors didn’t think Cumbo was ready to play that role.
Cost the win?
How about Shai? Had Lunch and MJR 2v1 in q1 and bombed it over his head. The shot at goal? Reckon he cost the point we needed?

Come on...dimma brought in mansell under the bull sheet guise of not crowding dusty in the forward line...dimma needed dusty to run into DUSTY (GOAT) form and he didn't want cumbo to get in the way doing the same things...

Not crowding Dusty? Seriously Jak, you are smarter than that.

Very simplistic way of looking at it. Not saying he will keep his spot but the coaches will be using the film of what he did off the ball to justify selecting him. A 100 metre spring off the ball to force the opposition to use a different option or have to go back over their mark doesn't get recorded with any stat but if this is what Mansell was doing then he will have played his role.

Personally I was happy he was selected on the basis of last years team selection during the the last third of the season lacked any planning. Mansell likely isn't the answer but its good that the coaching staff is trying to address what was a massive issue in the run home last season.
2021 was sad. The 2022 Plan A reeked of 2019 Martin playing, Soldo in the ruck/fwd, George, Aarts Edwards, Not much Martin so the plan didn't work but forced Dimma to look at Miller, MRJ, Sonsie, Clarke, Cumberland.

Baker or Clarke could play the small fwd role.
Mansell has never played the role with us.
Any selection choice is a gamble. Mansell attributes vs Clarke/ Cumberland attributes..
Late 2022 RFC got a look at different fwd set ups that I thought were good.
I.e. 1 pressure fwd.

We hovered around 8th all season and got knocked straight out of finals. I thought the form of Plan B Gibcus, MRJ, Sonsie was excellent. Cumberland a solid start to his career too, good enough to retain his spot.

The biggest issue was Prestia injury in a final. So Hopper and Taranto were added.

We had an almost full list on Thursday. Minus just Tarrant and could only snatch a draw from the jaws of defeat.

Last edited:
That game played out exactly like our last effort from 2022. We dominated the game and looked to be I control but instead of finishing off our work we just pissed the game away on poor entries and back kicking for goal.

In the end we let the lions last year and the blues this year, kick east goals on the rebound.

Annoying that we’ve seemingly learnt nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No that’s not what I said at all. I love Cumbo and I reckon Mansell is a bit of a Stevie Morris upgrade atm. All I’m saying is that match committee needed someone to play a specific role and Mansell was best option for last week. Cumbo obviously was not.
Long term Tiger fans still have nfi how the game plan works. Kicks, marks, handballs and goals fmd.
We all got a great insight at George’s exit speech. Listen to Hardwick. We need soldiers to run, harass, block exits, protect the fat side. No stats. But ffs George won 3 flags doing it and it is vital. It allows Dusty, Shai etc to do what they do.
And MAYBE Mansell did some of that stuff on Thursday and it stopped Carlton defenders waltzing thru our f50.
Clearly selectors didn’t think Cumbo was ready to play that role.
Cost the win?
How about Shai? Had Lunch and MJR 2v1 in q1 and bombed it over his head. The shot at goal? Reckon he cost the point we needed?
I think you are correct in your assumption regarding role players, fat side etc. But that is underselling players like Martin and Bolton who I have also seen run 100m to do what Mansell was brought in to. Cumberland also has to do that if he comes in, which adds another quality/natural forward.

The Hawks small fleet in their premiership years were, Rioli, Breust and Puopolo. Rioli is the premier pressure player of all time just about, and one of the best small forwards also, Breust, all class and even Puopolo was dangerous, but they harassed as good an any. If we want to get back to winning Premierships, Bolton, Martin and hopefully Cumberland have to be challenged to do the same.

That game played out exactly like our last effort from 2022. We dominated the game and looked to be I control but instead of finishing off our work we just pissed the game away on poor entries and back kicking for goal.

In the end we let the lions last year and the blues this year, kick east goals on the rebound.

Annoying that we’ve seemingly learnt nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would slightly disagree. Their goals on quick transition came from Mckay working up to the wing. Balta was monstered by Mckay but I remember Rance at about the same age was monstered by Cloke so hopefully Balta can work through it.

The easiest goals they got were from the same game plan we have struggled against since 17. Control. We need to get back to being able to stop the chip-mark style or at least being able to force a side that wants to use it to be the best they can be.

not too sure about that , He went to marvel to watch the 2017 gf
Plenty of room...good seat...no food waiting ques or at the toilets!...magnificent!
Pre-game entertainment a tad long...involved a lot of seagulls! ;):cool:
a-fan-alone-in-an-empty-stadium-A8GE41.jpg

Last edited:
I would slightly disagree. Their goals on quick transition came from Mckay working up to the wing. Balta was monstered by Mckay but I remember Rance at about the same age was monstered by Cloke so hopefully Balta can work through it.

The easiest goals they got were from the samei game plan we have struggled against since 17. Control. We need to get back to being able to stop the chip-mark style or at least being able to force a side that wants to use it to be the best they can be.
I agree. A game where you concede 8 goals says something is different. On viewing the replay I thought Balta was quite good. His opponent can play but didn't kill us on the scoreboard.
I felt the back line deserves credit for setting up a wall. And the ball living in the fwd line.

The other end of the ground though.

Lots of fwd entries but no winning score.
its funny dropping Cumberland to train on new skills and playing Mansell had never played the position. He did some good things and helped prevent us losing the game. but didn't tackle much, little pressure.
Saad and co didn't get off the chain.
But Baker has played there or give a small fwd clarke a crack at it. Play Mansell in defence.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You honestly believe picking Mansell helped the team draw? FMD 🤣

Hardwick deserves criticism just because we've won 3 flags in his time doesn't mean he is immune to it nor does it mean he never makes a mistake.

He ****ed up at the selection table. took a gamble and it cost us. We are lucky we got away with at least 2 points.
What ya think of Bolton miss?

Yep.Saad gave up 2 goals because of perceived pressure.
No stat.

Thoroughly enjoyed being at the game on Thursday night. Finals atmosphere, finals intensity and with the knowledge Carlton were playing their grand final and we were playing round 1 was happy with the intent of all on the team and left the ground feeling really positive about the year ahead.

After watching the replay I am left with the same opinion, we are going to be very good this year.

On the Adelaide Oval I would be having the sub be someone with pace maybe Clarke or Ralphsmith

Additionally I would be resting Cotchin and Reiwoldt on interstate trips this year, Samson and Ross fill their spots nicely, but maybe it is too early in the season for some rest?

Last edited:
You should only bag the umpires after a win. Doing it after a loss (or draw) just sounds like a loser's excuse.
You should only post on other boards when discussing players
Doing it any other time just sounds like trolling

if theyre fit id bring in Sonsie,Cumberland,Sampson & Clarke this week and rest Jack,Cotch and ommitt Mansell and Ross
going FWD the 4 coming in are hopefully going to form a bond on their way to future premierships so time to start playing them in the same team
along with Gibcus when he returns

if we lose against the crows with trent,jack,ross and mansell playing u may as well start planning for 2024,ok maybe thats a tad drastic but would the harsh reality be more obvious if we lose n cotch n jack are in the team ?
id rest them to protect them,we couldnt beat the crows with em in the team last year so maybe change it up this time round

Last edited:
Keep blaming them then.. I'm sure telling yourself "we wuz robbed" everytime you don't win makes you feel much better.
Alright sunshine you have had some fun now scurry off home to the pies board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back