• Pickett

Votes: 32 11.6%
  • Ross

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a team that used to pride itself on forward pressure.............eye eye eye. Not much through the midfield either. I also think we set our zones far too deep, enabling teams to just chip away.

Selection was interesting to say the least. Mansell....wtf. Some very underdone players. I also thought we are too tall. Ross's disposal is just not at a professional level. Mind you, I lost count of the number of times our kicks or handballs barely got within 5 metres of teammates. Round 1 and yes I know we didn't lose but...........lots and lots to work on.

Shout outs to Taranto and Rioloi, awesome performances. I know I will upset a lot of you but JR is long past retirement. He got pantsed by a kid. I would rather play Miller or Samson in his place. Also to Shai, I hope you never play a game worst than that bollocks you served up last night.

Interesting start to a long season. Sorry, more a confusing start to a long season.
If JR is taking the Best Defender who
is playing really well then Jack needs to take him out of the play by providing dummy decoys creating space for Dustin Martin to contest the ball on a one to one basis - a contest that he rarely loses.

I dont highly rate performances of players who are wasteful with their disposal, particularly by foot. Quality over quantity always, without doubt.

Quantity over quality has been the story of Taranto for most of his career, and a bit for Prestia tonight. Prestia had 2 positive quarters (1st and 3rd, he was great in the 3rd) and 2 negative quarters (2nd and 4th, no influence at all). Balances out to a middling game, even though he looked good he only had bursts of being an actual positive player.
Mansell is a downgrade on castagna. You want pace and running around like a headless chook just bring him back with the bigger body.

I was optimistic about us and still am, but geez Collingwood look fit and good. Even their "small" forwards are fairly solid and move well. Their midfield is deep now with a fit De Goey and adding the extractor Mitchell.

Changes vs. Adelaide

OUT: Mansell
IN: Clarke

Grimes, Miller, Broad
Vlastuin, Balta, Rioli
McIntosh, Hopper, Pickett
Martin, Riewoldt, Clarke
Bolton, Lynch, Rioli jr
Nankervis, Prestia, Taranto
Cotchin, Graham, Short, Baker
Sub: Ross
Graham may be under a cloud or perhaps the ice was just precautionary and the club foot limp to be expected

We won three grand finals based on Chaos! Haven't Sydney lost their last couple of gf's?

How did you rate the Swans grand final performance last year?

Wasn't worth a rewatch so i never got round to it.

Fox was great, Warner got some junk time shit. Thats it.

So even though they win games and flags you dont rate them ?
you sure you dont want to read and think about this

I rate clean skills and efficiency, Richmond for a top team are usually low for efficiency. You guys were top of the league in clangers per game when you won your flags for example.

Thats besides the point as this was just what I rated Thursday night which was a round 1 58-58 draw. I.e a game where no one is going to come out looking all that great.

Both teams had big amounts of turnovers and inefficiency. Richmond were more evenly spread throughout the team while Carlton were top heavy with the best performers and had the majority of the worst on ground as well.

I rate clean skills and efficiency, Richmond for a top team are usually low for efficiency. You guys were top of the league in clangers per game when you won your flags for example.

Thats besides the point as this was just what I rated Thursday night which was a round 1 58-58 draw. I.e a game where no one is going to come out looking all that great.

Both teams had big amounts of turnovers and inefficiency. Richmond were more evenly spread throughout the team while Carlton were top heavy with the best performers and had the majority of the worst on ground as well.
How can that be besides the point ?

You are talking about "Your rating"
When a club produces 3 flags and is the most dominant team for almost half a decade , Then you have teams like melbourne & Geelong changing their games to be more " Richmond Like" and being successful then that indicates your rankings mean nothing as the club you didnt rate not only won flags but has changed other teams game plans and playing styles

Pies are now doing what Richmond did and their game looks like being better for it

But going on thursday nights game , Richmond had 70 inside 50 entries and if the foward line functioned better we could of had 6-7 more goals and the result would have been completely different

inside midfielders have 30-40% shitty disposals anyway richmond or not. can't rate them down too much for that

Upon a second viewing & watching the Friday night game, i feel like both these teams are a long way off. Carlton lost that game more than we won it, thats for sure. The lack of urgency and belief in the ability to score in the last 10 minutes was my biggest take away, you are not elite when you look that lost in the clutch, against one of the worst clutch teams in the league - Carlton. Carlton looked crap in the clutch too.

We draw because they made 2-3 inexplicable errors. The drop mark, the extra bounce by Obrien, various fumbles. We do not draw if only 1 of those unforced errors from Carlton doesn't occur. What worried me was how slow we were moving the ball forward when the game needed to be won. if its not DRioli, then the team needs to be trialing a new face down forward as the mix looks wrong.

Re-watching the game, i actually feel like moving Bolton up onto the wing & then finding an additional, fast running pressure forward to fit into our 6.. I think Bolton is his own worst enemy - the more time he spends as a pure forward, the more his bad traits come back. For all his brilliance, he still clearly has to be managed to save him from himself. His 50 wad s terrible, stupid play we have seen 1000 times before & his dumb decision making around set shots cost us dearly. Boltons leap, speed, marking and flair could be a game changer . I think a wing of Bolton + Pickett looks much closer to being elite & i think Bolton needs to constantly be moved out of his comfort zone to stop himself from bad traits and lazy football. Put him on a wing and make him more accountable defensively again.

My biggest concern is i no longer am sure if we can have Dusty & Jack in the same forwardline together, They both have moments of brilliance,, but paired with long moments of looking older. The forwardline to me feels better with only 1 of them deep, with Lynch, Cumberland & MRJ rotating.
I’m not sure how you draw that first conclusion when we had a significant surplus of opportunities in our f50 than our opponent , credit to blues at times on their own dour defence however countless times we were our only worst enemy with a poor final entry or atrocious execution of a basic shot at goal in a drawn game these are all material opportunities that slipped from our grasp ,,,anyway I accept we have much room for improvement, and you’d want to say that after r1 good news is , the fundamentals are sound so a good foundation to build on

Whoa, harsh mate!

I never said I wasn't all for Cotchin being in the team, and I'm very much in the camp of letting our champions go when they want to, my comment was just a flow-on from what has, generally, been the reluctant but also understandable view on him for many people. And that is, right or wrong, that in 2021 and 2022 he has looked slow and past his best and, with young mids coming up and two new big recruits, his spot might no longer have been fully guaranteed.

I don't think it's a stretch to say that he (likely) knows his spot is slightly under threat...

And, in referencing the general view, I was saying that I was stoked to see Cotchin showed he was still easily best 22.
Come off it mate.
Can't believe you think he thinks his position is under threat.
If Cotch ever thought that he'd retired last season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DRioli's chase of O'Brien right up the wing put enough pressure on him to fumble and struggle with the kick to McKay - huge effort for a tired bloke versus the fresh legs of the sub.

Then of course the big rebound - Baker's kick to Mansell... Hopper's kick to the hotspot and Lynch's absolutely massive clunk and clutch goal. Epic play

I’m not sure how you draw that first conclusion when we had a significant surplus of opportunities in our f50 than our opponent , credit to blues at times on their own dour defence however countless times we were our only worst enemy with a poor final entry or atrocious execution of a basic shot at goal in a drawn game these are all material opportunities that slipped from our grasp ,,,anyway I accept we have much room for improvement, and you’d want to say that after r1 good news is , the fundamentals are sound so a good foundation to build on

I thought the quality of those entries and the execution from our forwardline was so poor that we needed that many opportunities to just score with them on a score of 58. Watching the final quarter, Carlton looked like the winner the entire time

I50's are pointless if they never translate to goals. Just like defensive I50's are pointless if the other team gets an easy goal every second one.

Charlie Cameron has just 4 touches for the entire game and has kicked 1 behind
fmd Nigel Mansell is twice the player

He's not a great backman - he gets caught out of position too often. He's great when he runs at the ball and jumps - not so good when he has to match up on an opponent who is leading him to the ball.

I still reckon he would make a great follower - even for a 5-minute burst. Jump at the ruck contests and then be in every contested mark situation arounfd the ground. Opposition ruckman can't go with him.

Other than that - a high half-forward leading up to the ball. Jack's doing it at the moment , but it's not quite his thing.
McKay looks like he’s going to be very difficult to deal with, looks bigger than last year and can run. Balta looked over matched at times.
Would be good seeing those 60 mtr punts coming in.

So he chooses Mansell in a forward role for what purpose exactly? 5 kicks 2 handpasses and 1 tackle? Turn it up, I'm not buying it.
If Rioli goes down it’s another back flanker on the field who can play one on one

Just realised Dusty is playing at 93kgs, fmd. Taranto same height is 88kgs and to my eyes looks bigger.
Dusty is genuinely built different.
Doesnt look too light to me , very strong thru the trunk, really warmed into the game dusty started to look dangerous whenever he went near it in sec half

I thought the quality of those entries and the execution from our forwardline was so poor that we needed that many opportunities to just score with them on a score of 58. Watching the final quarter, Carlton looked like the winner the entire time

I50's are pointless if they never translate to goals. Just like defensive I50's are pointless if the other team gets an easy goal every second one.
It’s a moot point However I could mount a pretty strong case they were lucky we shot ourselves in the foot , many were unforced errors , you can’t claim that it’s just good fortune for the oppo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back