Preview Round 1 - St Kilda v Melbourne, Saturday March 25th, 4:35pm, Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then Vineys spot isn't guaranteed either...
One has been injured for most of the preseason and has had one very ordinary game back, so could probably do with some more time to get back up to speed .... the other had a full preseason, been in all match sim, intraclub, and the entire JTL series and just had a bit of a stinker ... totally the same thing.

Membrey can play numerous role up forward and will most likely be our 3rd tall but i can see going in too tall as a disadvange if your defenders can get the ball out quick and I think we would only go in with one ruckman.

I see our team come round 1 being.

Dempster - Brown - Geary
Savage - Carlisle - Roberton
Newnes - Ross - Riewoldt
Weller - McCartin - Gresham
Wright - Bruce - Membrey
Hickey - Steven - Armitage
Steele - Gilbert - Billings - Dunstan
If Dees play 2 rucks. In Spencer and Gawn. Hickey is gonna struggle so I back Carlisle or Bruce to be the 2ND ruck. If 3rd man up rule still exists rooey would do fine job at it. I have a small feeling that Paddy won't be playing round 1 for reason. In my personal opinion going off other players and coaches opinion about his pre season he hadn't really been that good. Yes he is young and improving but I kinda expected more.

One has been injured for most of the preseason and has had one very ordinary game back, so could probably do with some more time to get back up to speed .... the other had a full preseason, been in all match sim, intraclub, and the entire JTL series and just had a bit of a stinker ... totally the same thing.

Mate I think you're a good poster so don't take this personally, but I'm shitty that there is this ridiculous backlash against a guy who had a bad game in a JLT match. He'll only get better and is a very good player for us, this has been a ridiculous overreaction.

Mate I think you're a good poster so don't take this personally, but I'm shitty that there is this ridiculous backlash against a guy who had a bad game in a JLT match. He'll only get better and is a very good player for us, this has been a ridiculous overreaction.
I think you might be misunderstanding what I'm getting at mate. In my opinion, based on last night, his first and only game back from injury, he's not yet up to speed to be playing round 1, and I'd prefer someone like Bugg who, while not nearly as talented as Dom, is far more prepared. Should Dom play at Casey next week (i think they're playing something), and look better at training in the next two weeks that he justifies selection then by all means, but we've got the depth now that we no longer need to play someone who, while easily best 22, is under done, and clearly not ready. Brayshaw early last year for example.

I'd take bugg and tyson ahead of melksham and anb everyday of the week.

Well given what we just saw...

B: Jetta OMac Garland
HB: Hibberd TMac Hunt
C: Stretch Oliver Melksham
HF: Petracca Hogan Watts
F: Kent Spencer Garlett
R: Gawn Viney Jones
Int: Brayshaw Salem Tyson Lewis

OUT: Vince, Weideman, Harmes, Bugg, ANB [comes in if Kent misses]
IN: Jetta, Hibberd

I don't mind the Spencer-as-a-forward experiment. He can clunk 'em, he gives us the Gawn chop-out thing and it's not a big deal if he's the one getting parked at full-forward as opposed to Hogan. Plus he'll either give Brown fits or he'll get Carlisle and Hogan will smack Brown around.

Not sure how Vince doesnt play based on that and Tyson does... kicked it directly to WC players 3 or 4 times.. needs some time in the 2s to find form

He's been injured and is in our best dozen players, he absolutely plays round 1.
I'm not sold yet on Dom. He looks classy, like most left footers do, but he seems to kick it away regularly. And I'm not just talking about last match.
He also seems to struggle to move the ball quickly. There was a lot of slow plays from him Thursday night where he'd go back over the mark, have a couple of false starts and then do the old hand gestures looking for a lead. I hate that! It smacks of 'look at me'.
Anyway I hope he kills it this year and makes this post look stupid. If he can become an A grade mid then I reckon we play finals this year.

Well given what we just saw...

B: Jetta OMac Garland
HB: Hibberd TMac Hunt
C: Stretch Oliver Melksham
HF: Petracca Hogan Watts
F: Kent Spencer Garlett
R: Gawn Viney Jones
Int: Brayshaw Salem Tyson Lewis

OUT: Vince, Weideman, Harmes, Bugg, ANB [comes in if Kent misses]
IN: Jetta, Hibberd

I don't mind the Spencer-as-a-forward experiment. He can clunk 'em, he gives us the Gawn chop-out thing and it's not a big deal if he's the one getting parked at full-forward as opposed to Hogan. Plus he'll either give Brown fits or he'll get Carlisle and Hogan will smack Brown around.
Joel Smith is better than Garland in every single way.

141 career AFL games, 2 pre-season games.

This argument if yours gets dumber and dumber.
Cool bring back Neitz too, he also used to be good at football. Smith played in the same team as Garland last season and went past him early and the gap just got bigger as the year went on. Add another preseason and Garland is even further than he was from the days when he was an AFL standard player and Smith has been improving as rapidly as Hunt did.

I bet we did the same argument with Hunt and Hogan and probably more others, Dez! does the grumpy old man act better than you and I'm way better at judging young talent. You'll find your niche eventually. :rainbow: :footy:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

374de784c7e619d36433177ae17350cf.jpg

Pretty cool by the Saints, really interesting they have a non Saints player on their website.

Don't forget to activate Windows

Don't forget to activate Windows
Nobody's going to activate windows 10 if they give it away for free, it's the only good thing about windows 10. I've never bothered to activate windows 10 either

Nobody's going to activate windows 10 if they give it away for free, it's the only good thing about windows 10. I've never bothered to activate windows 10 either
I don't get the W10 hate

I don't get the W10 hate
Yeah it's not as bad is it seems, but there are some things that do annoy me about it. Win7 Was still the best by far, XP maybe the best of alltime

Windows 10 randomly breaks things for me (admittedly they do tend to be older programs) but generally I actually like it.

Anyway. I've got some thoughts on Garland I need to put out there for my own sanity.

He's been criticised fairly heavily and I agree he can look severely outplayed at times. But I think a lot of it is to do with our zone defence ('defence') and particularly the mids. When it comes rocketing in at a million miles an hour there's not many one on one defenders (ie Garland) that are going to look good.

For that reason I'd be hesitant to play him for round one, not because of his own shortcomings, but because of the mids' inability to help the defence out. Call it an omission for team balance. If the ball comes in at a reasonable pace then I actually still back Garland to be a quality spoiler.

I love our run and gun play when it works, but my god I can tell there's going to be many times this year when we're all craving some dour Roosy strangleball.

What I find strange is the Roos 2014 style is absolutely viable with our current team, we are very strong inside and in clearances so blocking the game up and forcing a lot of them would be in our favour. It is also very strong at Etihad (Look at the history at that venue, defensive teams do very well) and IMO would have an advantage over the Saints style.

For that reason I'd be hesitant to play him for round one, not because of his own shortcomings, but because of the mids' inability to help the defence out. Call it an omission for team balance. If the ball comes in at a reasonable pace then I actually still back Garland to be a quality spoiler.

It was 2013 I think when he was Josh Gibson-esque in his spoiling ability down back. I still think he should've won a B&F considering how well he played in a backline that was copping it week-in, week out.

If he still has that in him, he definitely has a place in the side.

Also i will cry for days if Membrey kicks another bag. I can handle Riewoldt or Bruce because they're both guns but FFS lock down the 3rd tall.

I'm not sold yet on Dom. He looks classy, like most left footers do, but he seems to kick it away regularly. And I'm not just talking about last match.
He also seems to struggle to move the ball quickly. There was a lot of slow plays from him Thursday night where he'd go back over the mark, have a couple of false starts and then do the old hand gestures looking for a lead. I hate that! It smacks of 'look at me'.
Anyway I hope he kills it this year and makes this post look stupid. If he can become an A grade mid then I reckon we play finals this year.

It was his first proper hit out following a layoff with injury, he was poor admittedly, but he's always taken awhile to get into his rhythm. He'll get better every game he plays. Easily in our best 22.

You know this is going to sound like quitter talk, but i feel i need to say it. The intensity towards Round 1 is huge this year, it does get pretty big but i feel it's bigger than any other year due to the opposition being very similar. And with such intensity and optimism i feel a loss is going to have people ripping their hair out and distraught with emotions.

So basically i just want to say, don't explode if a loss occurs. Take a step back, breath a sigh of relief. Sure it wouldn't be ideal but theres 22 round to follow. Don't let it get to you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back