Round 1 Team vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

I have similar views but I think the tactic will be for Markovic to follow Ryder into the ruck while the main ruckmen are resting. From memory he did a fair bit of ruckwork for Willi.

Just a side note - I think Hill will be the Sub

Thats a real concern if thats the plan. Ryder is far to mobile and will destroy him around the ground. Surely Markovic will just be played as a stopper at FB.

I still don't think we can have Stack and Hill in the same team. Having 2 players who lack any intensity at all will make things tough, hopefully Stack can turn it around but I'm not holdiong my breath. Sooner we get Gilbee back the better.

I still don't think we can have Stack and Hill in the same team. Having 2 players who lack any intensity at all will make things tough, hopefully Stack can turn it around but I'm not holdiong my breath. Sooner we get Gilbee back the better.

You obviously missed the last 6 games of 2010 and this pre-season.

Injury aside Gilbee would have been lucky to play this week as his form hasn't been great.

I think you'll find Williams will follow Ryder into the Ruck - Markovic was not even trialled in that position from the practise matches I saw.

As far as the "suspect" players, now is the time to see if they are going to stand up. Those that take their opportunities will prosper those that dont will be helping Willi for a large junk of the year :)

The final decision on the side:

FB: Wood, Markovic, Morris
HB: Murphy, Williams, Stack
C: Griffin, Boyd, Ward
HF: Higgins, Jones, Gia
FF: Grant, Hall, Cooney
R: Hudson, Cross, Libba
I/C: Djerrkura, Hill, Sherman, Picken
Emer: Minson, Wallis, Barlow

probably a nervous nelly, but im a bit worried about the side - stack and hill shouldnt be there - i would have wallis any day and lake as a sub over those 2 softies !

probably a nervous nelly, but im a bit worried about the side - stack and hill shouldnt be there - i would have wallis any day and lake as a sub over those 2 softies !

Why didn't you speak up in the selection committee meeting then?

i wasnt there obviously..... :)

So smarty, do you like the side ? Any changes in your opinion?

It's round 1. I haven't seen them play for 6 months, 6 months is a long time, and things change. I think I will go with the team that has been selected by the people who actually know what is going on. That might change in a few weeks, but what I do know now is that I hate keyboard heroes who call players soft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lake isn't ready yet and Stack & Hill while playing different roles (which we need) than Wallis they have also out performed him over the pre-season.

For me, the team seems to be overloaded with pace and runners. I think Eade is aware of what happened last year when Essendon beat us and is hoping that if we can match them in pace by brining in Stack, Sherman and Djekura we can out muscle them in the middle and a bit cleaner ball skills will prevail.

It's round 1. I haven't seen them play for 6 months, 6 months is a long time, and things change. I think I will go with the team that has been selected by the people who actually know what is going on. That might change in a few weeks, but what I do know now is that I hate keyboard heroes who call players soft.

Well stated Mr Gimp. I feel exactly the same as you ...... it is amazing how many people on here continue to judge players on form from previous seasons and not what has ACTUALLY been happening throughout the pre-season.

Good luck to Stack and Hill.
Hopefully they make the most of the opportunity and have an improved 2011.
So amazing having another Libba out on the football ground!
Good luck on debut!

Good luck to Stack and Hill.
Hopefully they make the most of the opportunity and have an improved 2011.
So amazing having another Libba out on the football ground!
Good luck on debut!

:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

As far as the "suspect" players, now is the time to see if they are going to stand up. Those that take their opportunities will prosper those that dont will be helping Willi for a large junk of the year :)

I agree that players who show form in the NAB should be given a chance to show the improvement is genuine and sustained - i just think it is too risky playing so many at once.

Another poster made a comment about being surprised that so many on here make decisions on a player based on previous years performances. I think the plural in "years" is the important point. If players have shown over a number of years a lack of intensity i think it is justifiable to assume they have shown that over a sustained period because that is the way they are. hope to be proven wrong later today (and in the matches that follow)

Interesting that we are going in with only one ruckman.

I believe we have one of the best midfields in the competition and it is an area where we look to be clearly in front of Essendon. It is, therefore, imperative that we give them first use of the ball, or at least deny that to the opposition

Given our lack of serious backup, any injury to Hudson would appear hard to handle. Perhaps the match committee is looking at developing Williams as a pinch hitter but that is also a problem at the moment with Lake in particular, and Hargrave and Gilbee already missing from our defence.

I certainly would be concerned if we went into a final with only one recognised ruckman.

I'm not sure how the use and approach to the new sub rule will pan out over the season but the teams that get it right first will have the advantage.

Anyway, there is much to look forward to this afternoon with the first game so Go Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 1 Team vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back