team will be (I think)

B: Mackie, Scarlett, Lonegran

HB: Milburn, Taylor, Enright

C: Kelly, Bartel, Wojo

HF: Chappy, Hawkins, S Johnson

FF: Stokes, Mooney, West

R: Ottens, Selwood, Varcoe

B: Byrnes, Duncan, Corey, Sub = Menzel

Ling and Pods will be automatic ins when fit, so good pressure to have. I expect both Hunts to play a lot of footy this year in the 1's as well, so intersting times ahead at selection. Still, this is a top 4 side on paper. Easily...

I'm of the opinion that we can't play both Ottens and D.Simpson in the same team. We need at least one of our ruckman to have a bit of mobility. So combinations of Ottens/West, Ottens/Vardy, D.Simpson/West, D.Simpson/Vardy are the only ones I would consider.

Agree. While Daws has mobility he looks lost when he plays permanent forward, and Otto looks like a grandpa when he plays forward. Hence I don't think they can work as a pairing, though I rate Daws higher than West (although I do think West deserves games based on his PS form). For that reason round one will be Otto and West. Personally I'd be courageous and drop Otto and pick Daws and West, but I doubt that will happen.

My team would be:
B: Enright Scarlett Milburn
HB: Wojo Taylor Josh Hunt
C: Duncan Kelly Varcoe
HF: SJ Mooney Chapman
F: Stokes Hawkins Menzel
R: Ottens Selwood Bartel
Int: West Corey Poodle Hunt Sub: Byrnes
Emg: Mackie Simpson Lonergan

Lonergan goes for structural reasons (i.e. saints lack of talls) the rest of the ins and outs are fairly obvious. The biggest debate other than the ruck is who the sub should be and I'm not really sure on that.

Mackie hasn't forced his way back in legitimately based on the PS form I've seen.

Changes from prelim (other than Duncan for Ablett):
Out: Ling (inj), Podsiadly (inj), Lonergan
In: West Menzel Poodle Hunt

Taylor hunt has to be a starter if not a certanty on the pine....he has exeptional speed and tackled like a bulldog...he hurt a few people on the weekend...josh hunt needs to take a little toughness out of his namesake

Mr.PureOwnage, your back 6 look a lot quicker than MARK25JACKSON's. I could see opposition small forwards ripping our defense apart with JACKO's tall/slow backline.

Mr.PureOwnage, your back 6 look a lot quicker than MARK25JACKSON's. I could see opposition small forwards ripping our defense apart with JACKO's tall/slow backline.

maybe looks slow rabbi, but realistically, who out of that back 6 can you see the coaching staff not playing? No way they wont play Lonegran, Scarlett (will no longer take the number 1 forward, hence onners automatic inclusion) and Taylor. That leaves the other 3 in Enright (no way he will be dropped) MIlburn (has been in great form all preseason and again, no way i can see him getting dropped) That leaves Mackie. He is the only one who "all romance of finding another Selwood" aside, could be possibly left out. But again, I think that class and proven results will always beat out promise. You'll note my side doesnt have Josh Hunt. That is how strong the back 6 are...

maybe looks slow rabbi, but realistically, who out of that back 6 can you see the coaching staff not playing? No way they wont play Lonegran, Scarlett (will no longer take the number 1 forward, hence onners automatic inclusion) and Taylor. That leaves the other 3 in Enright (no way he will be dropped) MIlburn (has been in great form all preseason and again, no way i can see him getting dropped) That leaves Mackie. He is the only one who "all romance of finding another Selwood" aside, could be possibly left out. But again, I think that class and proven results will always beat out promise. You'll note my side doesnt have Josh Hunt. That is how strong the back 6 are...

Well then they need to change their thinking. That backline is too slow to win the game, unless everyone wants to lose.

Lonergan is not needed, Scarlett is a full back not a back pocket, Mackie doesn't deserve a spot on form and Josh Hunt is marginal. There's some good changes to make.

Also slow guys if they are to play, should not play HBF, they should be somewhere else, and the guys like the Poodle or the Wojo should be in that area.

Good fixes.

My team would be:
B: Enright Scarlett Milburn
HB: Wojo Taylor Josh Hunt
C: Duncan Kelly Varcoe
HF: SJ Mooney Chapman
F: Stokes Hawkins Menzel
R: Ottens Selwood Bartel
Int: West Corey Poodle Hunt Sub: Byrnes
Emg: Mackie Simpson Lonergan

Lonergan goes for structural reasons (i.e. saints lack of talls) the rest of the ins and outs are fairly obvious. The biggest debate other than the ruck is who the sub should be and I'm not really sure on that.

Mackie hasn't forced his way back in legitimately based on the PS form I've seen.

Changes from prelim (other than Duncan for Ablett):
Out: Ling (inj), Podsiadly (inj), Lonergan
In: West Menzel Poodle Hunt

There is no way they will leave Lonners out. He saved our bacon against them lat year when Roo towelled up Harry. Added to that, your sub will not be a one dimentional player such as Byrnes. Yep he is quick and all, but if a tall goes down, your whole balance is shot. Your sub will be a 6ft2, 6ft3 type with skills and pace. For that reason, I think either Mackie or Menzel will be the sub. Josh Hunt's pathetic efforts on Milne last year have him (imo) behind the likes of Mackie, Milburn, Enright in the back 6. thats also not including Kelly who was a back 6 player all year last year. So honestly, cant see him in the side. I think you're right re Duncan. He is a pearler and will play round one i think. All in all we still have a top 4 side though and I cant wait to see how they do name them and line up!

There is no way they will leave Lonners out. He saved our bacon against them lat year when Roo towelled up Harry. Added to that, your sub will not be a one dimentional player such as Byrnes. Yep he is quick and all, but if a tall goes down, your whole balance is shot. Your sub will be a 6ft2, 6ft3 type with skills and pace. For that reason, I think either Mackie or Menzel will be the sub. Josh Hunt's pathetic efforts on Milne last year have him (imo) behind the likes of Mackie, Milburn, Enright in the back 6. thats also not including Kelly who was a back 6 player all year last year. So honestly, cant see him in the side. I think you're right re Duncan. He is a pearler and will play round one i think. All in all we still have a top 4 side though and I cant wait to see how they do name them and line up!

And who is that? (i.e. we don't have many of those)

The sub will be a small for run, you have more smalls than talls so you will not make a tall sub. Not in a million years.

Might be an inbetweener like Mackie or Milburn, but won't be a tall.

Lonergan has done well yes, but who's his matchup? No Kosi, no Gardiner, probably no Stanley, unless you're suggesting he plays on Gamble (which Milburn could just as easily do). Scarlett can give Taylor the chop out he needs because he won't have a recognised big FF to have to mind.

We need to find more run and for this week Lonergan is expendable. Some weeks he won't be, this week he will be.

Well then they need to change their thinking. That backline is too slow to win the game, unless everyone wants to lose.

Lonergan is not needed, Scarlett is a full back not a back pockett, Mackie doesn't deserve a spot on form and Josh Hunt is marginal. There's some good changes to make.

Also slow guys if they are to play, should not play HBF, they should be somewhere else, and the guys like the Poodle or the Wojo should be in that area.

Good fixes.

rubbish. Just as Fletcher rarely takes the best forward, neither does Scarlo anymore. He is most damaging when given the license to run off and create. There is a reason Lonners played just about every game last year. People who crap on about Scarlo saying he should be the FB and take the best defender in my opinion just dont understand modern footy. I'd bet $1000 Lonners plays and very well may go straight to Roo first up. And yes it isnt a back 6 with pace to burn, but Enright and Mackie are by no means slow. Even Milburn isnt what you'd call slow, and for that matter, neither is Scarlo. Id sooner have good decision makers with experience and proven matchwinning ability than young pace with no idea what to do. "Poodle" Hunt has shown SFA through the preseason. Ill dead set spew if we pick a young bloke on the lure of what might be, instead of a guy like Mackie who has proven himself over seasons. And yep he might have been not as good last year, but his previous 7 seasons have been sensational, so lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater.
Collingwood didnt flog us because our back 6 were slow. We got mashed all over the ground by their relentless press. through the midfield, the forward half and the back half. So including a guy who hasnt played a dozen games on the basis he has some toe just wont solve that problem. That is a problem that coaching and game plan must overcome.

And who is that? (i.e. we don't have many of those)

The sub will be a small for run, you have more smalls than talls so you will not make a tall sub. Not in a million years.

Might be an inbetweener like Mackie or Milburn, but won't be a tall.

Lonergan has done well yes, but who's his matchup? No Kosi, no Gardiner, probably no Stanley, unless you're suggesting he plays on Gamble (which Milburn could just as easily do). Scarlett can give Taylor the chop out he needs because he won't have a recognised big FF to have to mind.

We need to find more run and for this week Lonergan is expendable. Some weeks he won't be, this week he will be.

re read my post. I named 2. Mackie and Menzel. As for Kosi, go read Lyons comments today or yesterday I think. Is now saying he will possibly bring Kosi straight in. They will have to I think. Lonners will play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't wait for the team to be named to be honest.
It will say so much.

I am with you that Lonners must play. But I also expect they will (and should) play T Hunt on promise.

We'll go nowhere if they dont have that philosophy.
Lappin said it himself. Something like "it is going to be really tough to finish top 3 this year with the amount of kids that we are going to play. Because if we dont we know we will be dead ducks in 2 years"

This year we have to pick 2 key backs, 2 key forwards, and 2 rucks.

So that works out as:

2 of Scarlett, Taylor, Lonergan

2 of Mooney, Pods, Hawkins

1 of Ottens or Blake or Simpson

1 of West or Vardy

An ageing side with tall lumbering players is suicide.

B Kelly Scarlett Enright

HB T Hunt Taylor Wojo

C Mackie Bartel Corey

HF Chapman Mooney Johnson

F Byrnes Hawkins Duncan

R Ottens Selwood Varcoe

Int West Milburn Stokes

sub Menzel

If Chapman doesnt play id have Mitch Brown

I also think the olders guys should be playing for their lives cos i wouldnt be dropping T Hunt or Duncan in the future unless they are really shocking.

moz-screenshot-1.png
http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2011/03/14/1226021/045047-chris-judd.jpg

If I have cracked it and got the image I want ...... I think this is M. Brown tackling a bloke I recognise but can't quite place.

If I am correct this I think "he is too light to play" view is a bit off the mark. He looks slight from the stands but up close he is a big lad. As big as Jarrod Grant at least and more likely to cause havoc.

For mine if we want to play off in a prelim or better he must be in the first 22 picked.

I also think the fact he was on the bench (even though not a sub) for the first half Saturday suggests he might wear a yellow shirt soon.

Didn't work so go to http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/cats/story-e6frf9jf-1226021045149

If Pods doesn't play Brown's in, if he does, Brown has a spot on the bench case Hawkins or Mooney go missing.

moz-screenshot-1.png
http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2011/03/14/1226021/045047-chris-judd.jpg

If I have cracked it and got the image I want ...... I think this is M. Brown tackling a bloke I recognise but can't quite place.

If I am correct this I think "he is too light to play" view is a bit off the mark. He looks slight from the stands but up close he is a big lad. As big as Jarrod Grant at least and more likely to cause havoc.

For mine if we want to play off in a prelim or better he must be in the first 22 picked.

I also think the fact he was on the bench (even though not a sub) for the first half Saturday suggests he might wear a yellow shirt soon.

Didn't work so go to http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/cats/story-e6frf9jf-1226021045149
Read in the reviews that he seemed to lose his man and find space. Is this because he is clever / fast / natural forward or did he have a spud on him or someone who didn't pay him respect? Really hope it's the former !!

What's Browns pace like ? Grant showed real pace in his early games.

Brown struck me as being quick for someone his size. He is one paced though - he seemed to run fast but at the same pace for good periods of time. Hence i see him as our best shot as a very mobile lead up forward with marking skills. Hence the reference to Reiwoldt (could we be so lucky?)

Grant is a rabbit and a genuine twig at 192cm and still only 82kgs whereas Brown is 196cm and now 90kgs. Completely different types.

Brown was superb on Saturday when he came on. He was a real handful for the Carlton defence with his ability to push up high and get back quickly. His first goal was after a long sprint from the half backline to get on the end of a 'coast to coast' play. He ran past 2 or 3 Carlton defenders easily and they couldn't keep up. What an asset at 196cm.

What we saw on Saturday was a glimse of exciting times ahead. I watched him closely and he seems to read the play so well and he is as good on the ground as he is in the air. His tackle on Judd was a beauty.

Can only get better and I think they will play him in round 1.

Brown was superb on Saturday when he came on. He was a real handful for the Carlton defence with his ability to push up high and get back quickly. His first goal was after a long sprint from the half backline to get on the end of a 'coast to coast' play. He ran past 2 or 3 Carlton defenders easily and they couldn't keep up. What an asset at 196cm.

What we saw on Saturday was a glimse of exciting times ahead. I watched him closely and he seems to read the play so well and he is as good on the ground as he is in the air. His tackle on Judd was a beauty.

Can only get better and I think they will play him in round 1.

Agree.

Heres the team I'd like to see for rd 1, mildly tweaked version of Year Of The Cat's one.

B: Kelly Scarlett Mackie
HB: Enright Taylor Milburn
C: Duncan Corey Varcoe
HF: Chapman Mooney Johnson
F: Byrnes Pods Stokes

R: Simpson Selwood Bartel

INT: West, Wojcinski, Menzel

SUB: Lonners, maybe Simpkin

Lonners as a sub if we're concerned that Taylor and Scarlo might not be able to contain Rooey. Otherwise Simpkin because I think he has some good goal sense and last year from memory Byrnes and Stokes had the tendency to go missing when we played The Saints.

West for mobility, especially if they play Kosi. Dawson because I think we should freeze dry and vacuum pack Ottens until halfway through the season and we just need to pump games into young Daws. Otto still has the knee taped (as of the north and bulldogs NAB games that I watched), can use more time to get the body 100% and he can build fitness from halfway into the season to peak into the finals.

Mooney as I recall from another thread had a hand in several scores against carlton and from this article I think we're going to see a much more focussed Moons this year.
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/geelongnews/newsarticle/tabid/3933/newsid/109266/default.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back