Preview Round 1 team

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cant see the logic of having Lonergan as Sub .. just incase they cant contain the Saints talls. Just when would that decision be made , what if Roo kicks 3 goals in the first? At times last year he bailed Taylor when he was struggling , at worst he is on the bench for game against the Saints imo.
and as previously discussed , Simpkin can't play unless we have a LTI.

Also , Id say Chappy , Pods are doubtful.

Am I the only one that thinks Blake will play round 1

I don't think Otto is ready for the work load should be able to work his way in to the season when the grounds get a bit softer and the sting goes out of the sun look a fare way off yet.

Simpson, do you take the punt first up against top notch opposition in the Saints, who ever wins the clearances in this game will go a long way to wining the match.Will have to get games in to him somewhere just not this one for me

West,5 years in the system I think it is and I can't think of anything to say good or bad (remarkable)

Going to go with Blake and West round 1

Now there did I put that flack jacket.

Hmm fair calls. In that case I'd just have to back Scarlo and Taylor to get the job done. I like Lonners as far as being a stopper but I feel he seems to unsettle our ability to get out of the back 50 nice and quick with minimal pressure.

Well if we have to look at the sub purely as covering injury then we need someone with some versatility. So perhaps Taylor Hunt is a good fit there.

Top notch opposition as far as midfield. Not top notch as far as opposition rucks. Besides it didn't do us any harm playing him against Sandilands last year did it? If he could handle that ok he can handle this and if the midfield isn't up to it then the best rucking in the world won't make a difference.

With you all the way on Otto.

I don't think Otto is ready for the work load should be able to work his way in to the season when the grounds get a bit softer and the sting goes out of the sun look a fare way off yet.

Simpson, do you take the punt first up against top notch opposition in the Saints, who ever wins the clearances in this game will go a long way to wining the match.Will have to get games in to him somewhere just not this one for me.

Simpson, do you take the punt first up against top notch opposition in the Saints, who ever wins the clearances in this game will go a long way to wining the match.Will have to get games in to him somewhere just not this one for me

West,5 years in the system I think it is and I can't think of anything to say good or bad (remarkable)

Funny, I too have this bizarre belief that winning the ball out of the middle is advantageous, and that we have lots of talented players around the ground ready to take advantage of such. But some here think the ruck should be all things to all people. None of ours are really. I hope you are correct. Blake would be well equipped to handle McEvoy, who will be a gun in the near future. Ottens looks like he needs to be rested way too much during games to be that effective rd 1. Simpson may be the answer.

Taylor Hunt is so fast I can't see the Saints forwards having a chance in scoring goals coz he is just so fast.. Mackie can swing from end to end or even play midfield coz he's really versatile and probably our best player.

Top notch opposition as far as midfield. Not top notch as far as opposition rucks. Besides it didn't do us any harm playing him against Sandilands last year did it? If he could handle that ok he can handle this and if the midfield isn't up to it then the best rucking in the world won't make a difference.

With you all the way on Otto.

You could count his hit outs no one hand that day but that's no disgrace against Sandilands and his only other game was against Cox for the same result.

Top notch as in over all ability across the ground, if we go in with a weakness it's curtains.

Heres the team I'd like to see for rd 1, mildly tweaked version of Year Of The Cat's one.

B: Kelly Scarlett Mackie
HB: Enright Taylor Milburn
C: Duncan Corey Varcoe
HF: Chapman Mooney Johnson
F: Byrnes Pods Stokes

R: Simpson Selwood Bartel

INT: West, Wojcinski, Menzel

SUB: Lonners, maybe Simpkin

Lonners as a sub if we're concerned that Taylor and Scarlo might not be able to contain Rooey. Otherwise Simpkin because I think he has some good goal sense and last year from memory Byrnes and Stokes had the tendency to go missing when we played The Saints.

West for mobility, especially if they play Kosi. Dawson because I think we should freeze dry and vacuum pack Ottens until halfway through the season and we just need to pump games into young Daws. Otto still has the knee taped (as of the north and bulldogs NAB games that I watched), can use more time to get the body 100% and he can build fitness from halfway into the season to peak into the finals.

Mooney as I recall from another thread had a hand in several scores against carlton and from this article I think we're going to see a much more focussed Moons this year.
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/geelongnews/newsarticle/tabid/3933/newsid/109266/default.aspx

Slow backlines are the death knell of sides in this day and age. The best sides have at least two fleet footed players who can break the lines, hit targets and run down opponents.

The top sides ensure no player is more than a kick and a half away from the ball these days which means the playing activity is almost always in a third of the ground. Leg speed and quick ball movement is essential to break that tight zonal pressure. As many scoring opportunities are set-up in the back half these days it's crucial we don't have six players who lack genuine leg speed there.

I'm told our slow back half was exposed on Saturday by the Blues speedy forward half which set-up opportunity after opportunity which they frittered away with inaccuracy.

We take in a slow back half at our peril.

Considering we'll be downsizing from 6 man interchange to 3 men from the NAB cup I think the pressure will naturally be curtailed a little bit anyway from what it was last year and the previous few weeks. You've got Woj, Kelly and Enright there. Also Mackie who can do a bit of line breaking. Short of putting T Hunt in I don't think the backline can gain much. I'm betting we didn't have Kelly in the backline against carlton?

I also think the guys I've picked are the ones who make the quickest decisions and usually choose the best options when disposing in the back line. Especially when you consider them as a unit.

Considering we'll be downsizing from 6 man interchange to 3 men from the NAB cup I think the pressure will naturally be curtailed a little bit anyway from what it was last year and the previous few weeks. You've got Woj, Kelly and Enright there. Also Mackie who can do a bit of line breaking. Short of putting T Hunt in I don't think the backline can gain much. I'm betting we didn't have Kelly in the backline against carlton?

I also think the guys I've picked are the ones who make the quickest decisions and usually choose the best options when disposing in the back line. Especially when you consider them as a unit.

Sorry to disagree, but there is no way Mackie makes the best decisions. He made a couple of absolute howlers against Carlton. Personally I wouldn't have him in the side. Still too lazy in his efforts.

I'll go with this:

B: Wocjinski - Scarlett - Milburn
HB: Enright - Taylor - T.Hunt
C: Kelly - Bartel - Varcoe
HF: Johnson - Mooney - Chapman
F: Byrnes - Hawkins - Duncan
R: Ottens - Selwood - Ling
I/C: Corey - West - Brown
Sub: Stokes

I'm absolutely convinced we need speed to beat St.Kilda, and that means both Wojo and Taylor Hunt in the backline. Previous poster was correct, at times our defence against Carlton was run ragged, with ease too. Another reason why I want those quick guys back there. Trust Scarlett and Taylor to get the job done. Full stop.

Massive fingers crossed on Ottens, and really I'd be happy with either West or Simpson. The sub has to be a running player, so I think anyone out of Byrnes, Stokes, Menzel etc would fit the bill. Stokes has done more this pre-season than Menzel so deserves first crack.

I just hope we don't shirk making the hard decisions on the team regarding round one. I have found it worrying reports that Scarlett was again not playing key position defense against Carlton while Lonergan and Taylor were. TWO of those three play. Is that ####en simple!

Scarlett is a full back and playing him away from there at any time last year was pig headed, stubborn and stupid. Don't care how well Loners has done to get back, how much of a nice bloke he is or how much we love his story - unless Scarlo or Taylor are injured he does not bloody play.

Have we really learnt nothing from last year? We can not persist with these top heavy, sluggish and old sides. And if we are that worried about Taylor being beaten then HE can make way for Lonergan.

Just like down back a similar decision may have to be made up forward. Pods is a no brainer. He plays if he is fit (which he will be for rd 1) and that is the end of it. I would love to say Hawkins had shown enough to play along side him but all reports coming from the Blues game are that Mooney even at 32 is still a far better option. So Hawkins comes out.

You sure as hell did not see Collingwood stuffing around with playing all 3 of Brown, Presti and Reid or Antony/Fraser with Cloke and Dawes last year. You have 2 max at each end and that's it. Any more and you have an unbalanced side.

Outside of working out our KP players I just hope for an injection of pace and defensive pressure overall in our defense and forward lines.

well put sim:thumbsu:

I see Lonergan a liability and also Milburn now because of his slow pace and lack of discipline during games. He's too talented football player to leave out but gotta just shut up after a free kick against him because umpiures are now focused on him too give him a 50 metre penalty at any chance they can get. I don't think Hunt can play just yet especially against the better teams like St Kilda but his pace from the backline is impressive.
Ottens and Blake you'd have to go with in round 1 or give the big 6ft 9 boy Simpson a crack in place for Ottens because one thing we know with Blake is he won't break down but will always give his boring but consistent style of footy.

My Round 1 team

B: Scarlett, Lonergan, Milburn
HB: T. Hunt, Taylor, Enright
c: Wojo, Bartel, Corey
HF: SJ, Mooney, Varcoe
F: Stokes, Hawkins, Duncan,
R: Ottens, Selwood, Kelly
I/C: West, Byrnes, Mackie sub: J. Hunt

This is working on the theory that Ling, Chapman, & Pods are out injured.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My Round 1 team

B: Scarlett, Lonergan, Milburn
HB: T. Hunt, Taylor, Enright
c: Wojo, Bartel, Corey
HF: SJ, Mooney, Varcoe
F: Stokes, Hawkins, Duncan,
R: Ottens, Selwood, Kelly
I/C: West, Byrnes, Mackie sub: J. Hunt

This is working on the theory that Ling, Chapman, & Pods are out injured.
Very much like the side Collingwood beat the s#*t out of last year. Twice!:eek:

we dont need unproven, inexperienced players over seasoned, proven hard bodied good decision makers. We need a better strategy to beat the press. Its THAT simple, and for all of the people crapping on about making wholesale changes and bringing in youth for the sake of it, you;re in for a sad start to the year. There is no way known that they will pcik any more than 2 or 3 "fresh" faces. Expect to see Duncan, maybe Taylor hunt and possibly Menzel. apart from that, we will be going with seasoned, Premiership winning stars. Forums make me laugh, at the amount of completely footy ignorant people on here...

we dont need unproven, inexperienced players over seasoned, proven hard bodied good decision makers. We need a better strategy to beat the press. Its THAT simple, and for all of the people crapping on about making wholesale changes and bringing in youth for the sake of it, you;re in for a sad start to the year. There is no way known that they will pcik any more than 2 or 3 "fresh" faces. Expect to see Duncan, maybe Taylor hunt and possibly Menzel. apart from that, we will be going with seasoned, Premiership winning stars. Forums make me laugh, at the amount of completely footy ignorant people on here...

Agree with every thing you have said even the bolded, but what about there self importance,arrogance and lack of there respect for other posters.:rolleyes:

Given how Scott, Lappin and co have been very much pushing the argument of giving 'young kids' a go, I struggle to believe at the very least Menzel, Duncan and Taylor Hunt won't play.

On the weekend's showing, you could seriously mount a case for playing Dawson Simpson and Mitch Brown, too.

Well unless you leave out all the players that played against Collingwood last year then yes our team will have players in it that were beaten by Collingwood. :eek: Seeing as how when we played mostly young blokes in the preseason we got absolutely smashed I think your comment shows a lot of ignorance and a firm lack of the basic understanding of the game.:eek:

I just hope we don't shirk making the hard decisions on the team regarding round one. I have found it worrying reports that Scarlett was again not playing key position defense against Carlton while Lonergan and Taylor were. TWO of those three play. Is that ####en simple!

Scarlett is a full back and playing him away from there at any time last year was pig headed, stubborn and stupid. Don't care how well Loners has done to get back, how much of a nice bloke he is or how much we love his story - unless Scarlo or Taylor are injured he does not bloody play.

Have we really learnt nothing from last year? We can not persist with these top heavy, sluggish and old sides. And if we are that worried about Taylor being beaten then HE can make way for Lonergan.

Just like down back a similar decision may have to be made up forward. Pods is a no brainer. He plays if he is fit (which he will be for rd 1) and that is the end of it. I would love to say Hawkins had shown enough to play along side him but all reports coming from the Blues game are that Mooney even at 32 is still a far better option. So Hawkins comes out.

You sure as hell did not see Collingwood stuffing around with playing all 3 of Brown, Presti and Reid or Antony/Fraser with Cloke and Dawes last year. You have 2 max at each end and that's it. Any more and you have an unbalanced side.

Outside of working out our KP players I just hope for an injection of pace and defensive pressure overall in our defense and forward lines.

Whilst I do agree with you on the backline, I do not necessarily agree with you in the forward line.

I think we need to persist with Hawkins - predominately because he is still quite young (in age, not experience). I also think the second string ruck options at the moment are pretty awful and with the new sub rule, you need somebody who is flexible enough to play in the ruck and another position, either forward or back. Hawkins provides that.

In reality, Scott needs to make a judgment call. Part of the reason the second string rucks are awful is because they have not had a great deal of senior exposure. Dawson Simpson shows a lot of promise, and Vardy, although young, seems to be more in the mold of the modern day ruckmen but needs some more development. If you play one of these guys, I think you have to take out one of Mooney, Hawkins or Pods. So in a way, it is a bit of a catch 22. Most people probably favour leaving Hawkins out of the team because he's had plenty of chances, and bringing in a guy like Dawson Simpson or Vardy. But with Mooney being 32, and Pods closing in on 30, I think it is in our best interests to persevere with Hawkins predominately, and Mitch Brown, with Simpson or Vardy also.

I'd like to see us rotate the side quite a bit throughout the year.

Some variations we could have up forward:

Mooney, Hawkins (ruck/forward), Pods.

Hawkins (ruck/forward) Pods, Brown

Hawkins (ruck/forward) Ottens, Brown

Hawkins (ruck/forward) Mooney, Brown

Depending on who plays, Dawson Simpson/Vardy/Ottens in the ruck.

In all probability Ottens will miss 10 games. That means Hawkins must play as an insurance policy for a guy like Dawson Simpson or Vardy in the ruck.

I have no considered Mark Blake in this, because I'm not sure he has a big future in the team.

Scarlett is a full back and playing him away from there at any time last year was pig headed, stubborn and stupid. Don't care how well Lonners has done to get back, how much of a nice bloke he is or how much we love his story - unless Scarlo or Taylor are injured he does not bloody play.

This should be nailed to the dressing room door. Agree completely. There seems to be some kind of pervasive mindset that Scarlett suddenly can't play full back anymore, even though when he did play there last year he was still easily our best defender. Lonergan is a backup, it's as simple as that.

If we play the same side as last year, we'll be lucky to make finals. Carlton should have sealed the game on Saturday but for poor conversion. Don't think we were cruising to victory because we weren't. We absolutely MUST add some youth and pace to the side, otherwise we're in for a long year.

rubbish. Just as Fletcher rarely takes the best forward, neither does Scarlo anymore. He is most damaging when given the license to run off and create. There is a reason Lonners played just about every game last year. People who crap on about Scarlo saying he should be the FB and take the best defender in my opinion just dont understand modern footy. I'd bet $1000 Lonners plays and very well may go straight to Roo first up. And yes it isnt a back 6 with pace to burn, but Enright and Mackie are by no means slow. Even Milburn isnt what you'd call slow, and for that matter, neither is Scarlo. Id sooner have good decision makers with experience and proven matchwinning ability than young pace with no idea what to do. "Poodle" Hunt has shown SFA through the preseason. Ill dead set spew if we pick a young bloke on the lure of what might be, instead of a guy like Mackie who has proven himself over seasons. And yep he might have been not as good last year, but his previous 7 seasons have been sensational, so lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater.
Collingwood didnt flog us because our back 6 were slow. We got mashed all over the ground by their relentless press. through the midfield, the forward half and the back half. So including a guy who hasnt played a dozen games on the basis he has some toe just wont solve that problem. That is a problem that coaching and game plan must overcome.

Absolute rubbish. If that's true name me the half a dozen games where Scarlett had 25 + disposals and was damaging in the enright mould. You can't, because it didn't happen. Scarlett wasn't rubbish on a flank, but he simply didn't dominate in the way you are suggesting. This is a mental myth created by people who are desperate to move our best full back because they want Lonergan in the side. By contrast when Scarlett as actually put at full back, he dominated many a full forward this year. Now yes Lonergan did serviceably well at full back most of the time, but the simple fact people like you ignore is unless Scarlett actually becomes a super damaging rebound, then we get no benefit out of the swap, and he isn't, so we aren't. If Lonergan's good enough to play on a flank or somewhere else fine, otherwise he plays 2's. Scarlett is a freaking full back until someone actually provides some credible evidence to the contrary.

As for the bolded, it sounds like you are our former coach, Mark "favourites" Thompson, because you slam Taylor Hunt for his poor pre season form, yet you conveniently ignore Mackie's even poorer pre season form because he's a "proven player". Absolutely wrong. I hope that era of selecting blokes on reputations rather than form ended the day that Thompson left.

As for the general point about the backline, I guarantee you that if we do not change at least 1 or 2 members of the back six, it is too slow, and we will fail when it matters again this year. You want to talk about evidence, 2010 proved that conclusively. So many Geelong supporters want to win again this year, but they aren't prepared to make the hard decisions to make it happen. Let's hope our coach has more spine.

This year we have to pick 2 key backs, 2 key forwards, and 2 rucks.

So that works out as:

2 of Scarlett, Taylor, Lonergan

2 of Mooney, Pods, Hawkins

1 of Ottens or Blake or Simpson

1 of West or Vardy

An ageing side with tall lumbering players is suicide.

Email that to Chris Scott please. Critically important.

Where does Blake go when West is rucking? For all those who are (correctly) highlighting how much of a liability Ottens now is as a forward, Blake is even more so as a forward.

Has to be Simpson and West for mine. Eventually Simpson and Vardy once Vardy bangs the door down, but for now West gets first crack based on his good form in the PS games.

Well unless you leave out all the players that played against Collingwood last year then yes our team will have players in it that were beaten by Collingwood. :eek: Seeing as how when we played mostly young blokes in the preseason we got absolutely smashed I think your comment shows a lot of ignorance and a firm lack of the basic understanding of the game.:eek:

It was a bit direct. Should refrain from posting late at night.;)

We come from different perspectives I guess. I'm of the opinion we can't win the flag this year and therefore think we need to be preparing for our next serious attempt at silverware. That means tweaking our game plan and blooding new players in a blended way and using some of the players who have served us well as back-up players. Um! As Collingwood have.

I appreciate there are others who think if we do pretty much the same as last year we might sneak another flag. In my opinion that will be good enough to beat the lower sides and match it with most others but we'll be found wanting against the top echelon. When it counts and where it counts. I'd rather reach for the stars - so to speak.

The forum is about a contest of ideas Mark25Jackson. Some of us can be direct at times. That mightn't suit you but for mine I'd prefer that to blandness. With a user name of Mark Jackson I'd have thought you might feel the same.

As a footy ignorant poster I look forward to learning alot from you this year!

Sorry, this makes no sense. You say we can't persist with these older sides yet you want either Lonergan or Taylor to be dropped for Scarlett? I'm sure you are aware that by automatically including Scarlett it will make us an older side.

This isn't true either. I clearly remember people talking about how the Pies had the luxury of playing three big guys forward - Brown, Dawes, and Cloke. It didn't happen all the time but there were parts of the game where they used this strategy. That is why we wanted to play three big defenders.

If we play the same side as last year, we'll be lucky to make finals. Carlton should have sealed the game on Saturday but for poor conversion. Don't think we were cruising to victory because we weren't. We absolutely MUST add some youth and pace to the side, otherwise we're in for a long year.

Dramatic much? How can we suddenly go from a group with a number of AA players who only lost 5 games last year and finished with the highest percentage to a team that would be lucky to make finals? Your negativity and lack of faith in the team is shameful. Then again, you do mention that we struggled in a practice match at Visy Park in the middle of March, so maybe I should be worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back