Round 1 teams - Freo vs Port [MEGATHREADS SUCK]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like others, I don't see how MDB and Clancee can both be in the team, surely one or the other with Crozier in
With all the talk of Clancee potentially taking up tagging duties to cover Crowley there's been a case of amnesia regarding the success he has had in the past (2012/13) as a rebounding defender with a high effective disposal rate and penetrating kick.
In any case, our two best run-with players are out and someone will need to do the job.

It doesn't sound like either Crozier or Duffy are doing much at the Peel game.

Weller just took the game by the scruff and got a run into a goal. So excited for this kid, will get game.

So isn't that a recruiting issue? I see Port as a similar team in that fitness is key to our game, but they've been fortunate in having some classy players join them from other teams, and have drafted well while they were shit. We've had some dreadful luck with some of our early round draft picks, and we've been shithouse at luring players over from other teams.

The Saints were an awesome side in 2009–10, and that final they lost to the Cats should have been theirs. Maybe Ross should stop coaching perennial loser clubs that lose their shit just getting to the big show.

I don't think recruitment is the issue here. As Lyon said in his pre-season interview, the club is well stocked for running players and flankers. This round is a selection of 100+ game flankers with more of a negating / defensive skill set over alternatives with much less experience who may bring a different skillset. Does picking Crozier/Duffy over Suban/De Boer increase the risk of losing? Maybe marginally. But could their upside at the tail end of the season make the difference?

That's the assessment. Take a risk now for a potential enormous pay off later. He prefers to not take the risk. Due to that, he has a better winning percentage over his career than Alistair Clarkson, Mark Thompson at Geelong, Mick Malthouse at West Coast, or Kevin Sheedy at Essendon.

The side he picked is the most experienced possible based on who is available to play. It will probably win - Ross Lyon coaches team rarely lose.

Last edited:
I don't think recruitment is the issue here. As Lyon said in his pre-season interview, the club is well stocked for running players and flankers. This round is a selection of 100+ game flankers with more of a negating / defensive skill set over alternatives with much less experience who may bring a different skillset. Does picking Crozier/Duffy over Suban/De Boer increase the risk of losing? Maybe marginally. But could there upside at the tail end of the season make the difference?

That's the assessment. Take a risk now for a potential enormous pay off later. He prefers to not take the risk. Due to that, he has a better winning percentage over his career than Alistair Clarkson, Mark Thompson at Geelong, Mick Malthouse at West Coast, or Kevin Sheedy at Essendon.

The side he picked is the most experienced possible based on who is available to play. It will probably win - Ross Lyon coaches team rarely lose.

Yeah look I agree with your thrust here clogged.

However I think you might have gone a few rounds early. With a tough draw early, it is possible that we're going with the lower risk options to establish ladder position. A fair strategy.

Also, we're really at a point with Suban and DeBoer in particular where they are at a point where they need to be dominating or Crozier, Blakely, Weller and co will push them out (maybe jumping the gun there on the last two but i'm confident). If they manage to perform much better than they have the last couple of years, and keep the young players at Peel, maybe a good result for us. I don't think it is a negative for those guys to get more WAFL experience unless contract issues come in to play at the end of the year (Crozier).

If we are in a position where DeBoer, Subes and maybe even Clancee are being picked in round 5 over other younger players (presuming good WAFL performances), then I will be beating your drum. Maybe i'm rationalising, but I think we need to give it a few games first.

Like others, I don't see how MDB and Clancee can both be in the team, surely one or the other with Crozier in

They are chalk and cheese. One predominantly a backman with a good kick, the other a pressure forward. De boer set a standard with his running over preseason and clancee has clearly done what was asked of him. I think you will see both used to negate port players, almost certainly boak (de boer) and grey (clancee, whose experience in the backline will be invaluable against the mid/fwd). Not a role in croziers playbook. Get behind them because they will have a massive say on whether we win.

It's amazing how a night's sleep clear things up a bit for me.
With Crowley and Mzungu not available, we have no run with players in the team. So it is possible that DeBoar is in to tag one of Gray or Boak (while Clancee takes the other), instead of playing the same defensive forward role again.

Then again, Gu as emergency is suspect. He is either ready or not ready. If he is ready he should be in the team. If he is not, he shouldn't even be in the emergency list. Fingers cross he last minute "pass the test".

Given Gu and Crozier are playing for Peel I believe Blakely will come in for Duffield hence Clancee in the side on HBF.
It would also mean Sherro will play a full game. His game against wc was encouraging.
Connor the sub.

I will be satisfied with that lineup.

Given Gu and Crozier are playing for Peel I believe Blakely will come in for Duffield hence Clancee in the side on HBF.
It would also mean Sherro will play a full game. His game against wc was encouraging.
Connor the sub.

I will be satisfied with that lineup.
So would I. If Ross can show a little bit of dare to do things differently this season, then I will have faith the team might have enough of an edge to go even further.

The round 1 selection as it stands is uninspiring.

So would I. If Ross can show a little bit of dare to do things differently this season, then I will have faith the team might have enough of an edge to go even further.

The round 1 selection as it stands is uninspiring.

It's not so much about doing things differently for me, well maybe a little bit, but its more about bringing in much needed class, which you've already nailed many times earlier in this thread clogged. If we want to go deeper into Sept and even deeper still, October, we'll need the class of guys like Blakely, Weller, Crozier and Sheridan playing a part. With the same 22 as last year, we won't succeed, simple as that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not so much about doing things differently for me, well maybe a little bit, but its more about bringing in much needed class, which you've already nailed many times earlier in this thread clogged. If we want to go deeper into Sept and even deeper still, October, we'll need the class of guys like Blakely, Weller, Crozier and Sheridan playing a part. With the same 22 as last year, we won't succeed, simple as that.
Missing out of the 22 for our September games last year, were Ballantyne Johnson and Mcpharlin (3 All Australians). So barring injury we would not field the same 22 by choice.
Would like to see Weller and Blakely in as well as the 3 guys that were unavailable.

I was saying this thread is toxic as its riled everyone up and turned us against each other for issues that aren't relevant two days out.

Issues being listed are:
We havent improved like the other top sides because they have exciting new inclusions.
- Ok maybe we havent. Maybe we have. We don't actually know because we haven't played a game yet.

RTB is too conservative, to the detriment of long/short term success.
- We’re doing “doesn't play youf" to ourselves a couple days before kickoff? Really?

We have gone too defensive
- Our defense is based on gameplan not cattle. Many of you were lamenting how the media weren't catching on to how attacking we had become in our gamestyle in 2014. All training reports indicate that is going to go up another notch this year. It may not but we don't know because WE HAVENT PLAYED A GAME YET.

MDB, Subes, CP need to be upgraded
- Yeah they do. Hopefully the opportunity to do so happens from within or we can find good trades this year.

All these issues are concerns that have existed for months (in some cases, years). Raising them in this thread because of 1-2 player selections is pointless. It's too late to change anything.

There is really only one question we need to be asking ourselves. Can we beat the best? Recent evidence would say we can but we won't know with any certainty for a few weeks.

If you guys seriously want to get bummed out before the ball has even bounced, before we have seen what we have been working at, before we have seen the improvement our boys have made then go for it.

However, coming from where we have come from and knowing how hard the road was, I think this thread is just nervous excitement for a lot of you.

Just need to channel it and get behind our club for a potentially great 2015.
Way too long to read sorry. But all I can say is if you can have a say then so can we. So stop sooking.

To make September we need to win games now. Putting kids on the park who aren't ready for AFL will cost us games, which will effect our top 4 chances and thus a tilt at the flag. By the sounds of it on the Peel thread these kids are doing everything right. Their time will come. The season is a marathon, not a sprint.

All this talk of Clancee "thunder thighs" needing to be replaced in the team is ludicrous. He was powerhouse when he was fit. He and ibbo have IMO are the pieces missing from the team that pushed us into contention for the flag.

Maybe you should have read what Lost_deputy had to say before accusing him of having a sook.
Because at the moment it makes your opinion even less informed than usual.
It's was a sook. He had to stop posting here because it affected his emotions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back