Review Round 12, 2023 vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Several times when Port were running hot, the flat battery sign went up from our bench. And Port seemed to bottle it up.

Does anyone know what that sign means?

There is no doubt that the second half relapse was not planned. But something tells me that the coaching bench were not at all keen for us to keep the foot flat to metal for a huge % win.

Keeping some powder in the barrel for tough games coming up against Bulldogs, Collingwood and the away showdown?

Wishful thinking perhaps. But I reckon we take the big win and focus on what's ahead.
Slow down, seen chad cornes doing the slow down hands pointing at that sign several times

You only get 100+ point wins when the other side is completely uncompetitive. Hawthorn is not an uncompetitive side - that first half was more about how ruthless our pressure was. If you seriously thought we would keep that up in a game that we had already won by half time then you're being unrealistic...especially when after the game Houston was saying that a number of the players were cramping due to the heat etc.

We improved our goals per inside 50 from 22.47% to 23.5%. Always a good thing.

Need Dixon and Boak back.

Absolute ****ing bullshit.

Premiership and contending sides have beaten sides better than hawks by 100+ points plenty of times.

It's funny, if you reverse the halves you probably walk away feeling alright. Because the bad half was the second one, it's what we feel like we're left with.
It was a truly atrocious second half. We definitely flicked a switch or two off. It's a hard one to read into, but we did look decidedly tired.

Big and complete wins always elude us somehow in the AFL.

Was at a funeral today so missed the game.

What a first half!!!

Marshall was ****ing amazing!!

Came in here to see the reactions, I don’t think I’ll bother with the second 😂😂😂.

Slow down, seen chad cornes doing the slow down hands pointing at that sign several times
That's what I thought. Telling a team of professionals to slow down when they are on a roll must be hard to do and even harder for spectators to understand.

Reckon the performance managers have a big say in that with the data coming from the trackers.

That's what I thought. Telling a team of professionals to slow down when they are on a roll must be hard to do and even harder for spectators to understand.

Reckon the performance managers have a big say in that with the data coming from the trackers.
Yup, but as the poster below you says we just aren’t very good at it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do understand some peoples disappointment at not putting our foot on their throat, but they moved on to next weeks game at half time. And winning that and the one after is a significantly higher priority than a bit of percentage. Put it in perspective, we have won 9 in a row while Playing good but not great footy consistently. Every week. That’s all we need to keep doing. You cannot dominate all the time. It’s not sustainable.

Listened to the first half on the radio, sounded good.
Watched a few minutes of the replay on the TV, heard David King and Ricuttio and thought heck this and turned it off.

I'll watch Port next week (while listening to Tim and Tredders), I got the gist of this week, we did well for a half then hit the brakes.

Looking forward to watching the maggies tomorrow, I seem to watch much more maggies than AFL these days.

Actually you know what. I'm done

You lot are the most embarrassing port supporters I have ever come across.

You all don't deserve to celebrate any success we have in the future.

Get stuffed

On CPH2145 using BigFooty.com mobile app
BLOODY WELL SAID

Man, when this board melts it really melts!

It is super frustrating to win by ‘only’ nine goals when it looked at one point we looked like we could win by twenty.

But an objective review still suggests a pretty good win.

The first half (and part of the way into the third) was comfortably our best for the season. Intense, skilled, efficient.

Hawthorn are a much better side than either North or the Eagles, so to obliterate them like that is wasn’t easy.

The combination of not being able to keep up our intensity for four quarters, preserving Lycett for next week, and Hawthorn’s natural pride, made it highly likely they would come back in the last quarter.

Was it too much? Yes. But we didn’t have a fresh or competent ruck to replace Lycett with, so our structures were screwed at that point.

And there is a reason why games are assessed over four quarters rather than fractions of games.

Marshall was also a major positive. Five goals after sitting out for two games with concussion. Hopefully that dispels some of the concerns about his form.

More generally, a bit of perspective would be useful. After three games I don’t think there was a single supporter who thought we could go on a 9 game winning streak. And heading into the season many thought we would either miss or just scrape into finals. Some of the biggest melters today were those most pessimistic about our chances.

Are we a great side? No. Do we have the right coach? I don’t think so. Should we trust the team to make it count in finals? I’m skeptical m. But we are in this season up to our eyeballs and I for one am going to choose to enjoy it.

Collingwood were 11 points up near the end of the third quarter. They'll win by more than we did.
They just did it the opposite way to us but against a far inferior team than the Hawks.
I am starting to agree with the punters that are suggesting we are in a bit of self preservation mode ready for the next two short turnaround ( and possibly brutal) weeks.
Thank goodness no obvious injuries too and glad Rioli started to show something.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 12, 2023 vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back