Review Round 12, 2023 vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

How was Rociuotto taking about how the Melbourne clubs are swarming for Bergman.

Nob
Having a barely literate Crows Board member and former crows footy director who bashed our current assistant coach behind a pub car park because he lost a game as a commentator at our home games is surely the biggest troll ever of our proud footy club and supporters.

That he has the voice that could shatter industrial strength concrete from 50 metres only makes it worse.

Why our board hasn't told foxtel to feck this nob out of our game coverage is beyond me.

Last edited:
You only get 100+ point wins when the other side is completely uncompetitive. Hawthorn is not an uncompetitive side - that first half was more about how ruthless our pressure was. If you seriously thought we would keep that up in a game that we had already won by half time then you're being unrealistic...especially when after the game Houston was saying that a number of the players were cramping due to the heat etc.

We improved our goals per inside 50 from 22.47% to 23.5%. Always a good thing.

Need Dixon and Boak back.

Absolute rubbish.

We were up by 82 points at half time. A pedestrian 2nd half against one of the worst sides in the league should have seen a 100 point win, we completely stopped playing.

Defending is as taxing as attacking, the young Hawks would have had no more in the tank than we did.

Instead of getting a psychological advantage over Hawthorn and the rest of the league, we demonstrated to both ourselves and our future opponents that we're still in the Hinkley era and even a poor side can get a hold of us.

I was at the game, and it was weird. We were so frenetic and intense in the first half, and it was quite hot in the sun - I said to the cub at halftime that we just couldn't keep it up for the whole game.

But I didn't expect that rubbish in the second half. We went all showboat - running ahead of the footy, not paying attention to structure and then players started being thrown around. Lycett substitution was clearly the turning point, but the experimentation in the midfield went deeper than Lord into ruck. Bergman, Lachie, McEntee and even Rioli attended centre bounces; Rozee and JHF spent inordinate periods as perma-forwards, and it was obvious that Butters and Aliir were gassed.

I couldn't even nominate who our best player was. It was probably Rozee, but the evidence says that our most important player was Lycett. Aliir was good but exhausted himself; Butters will score more coaches votes, and Finlayson and Marshall kicked bags.

I am deflated by the final margin, and I worry about taking the bad habits forward to the Bulldogs and Geelong games, but geez that first half was exhilarating footy, and if we replicate that in the warmer month of September then we can give the premiership a shake.

Last edited:

Actually you know what. I'm done

You lot are the most embarrassing port supporters I have ever come across.

You all don't deserve to celebrate any success we have in the future.

Get stuffed

On CPH2145 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Good Morning Hello GIF by Stevie

Was at the game fantastic 1st half even though the extra percentage would have been good for you , You have got 3 6 day breaks in a row so taking the foot off the pedal today is understandable and probably necessary. It's the long game that matters just bank the 4 points and move on. You will lose a couple of games in the next few but that's fine position yourself in the top 4 at the end of round 23 and im Confident you will be playing off in the granny

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The idea that port fans should settle for near enough is good enough is hogwash.

We’re not a rebuilding club fresh off the mat.

This coach has had a record tenure and has a midfield previous coaches would love.

The pass mark is a grand final. And getting smacked for 2 qtrs by a bad side missing their best player doesn’t bode well for us if we’re serious.

It’s good to get the 4 points, but we need to be better, cause absolutely no one will remember 9 wins in a row.

The lack of killer instinct which still resonates within this team just won’t go away. Instead of sending the Hawks back to the Stone Age, we allowed them to get their tails up & finish all over us.

If you’re happy with the end result, then I pity you. Please refrain from crying to momma when the whips start cracking come finals time.
How many here were expecting finals at the start of the year? Not many, not I, regardless of this winning margin or lack of I’m not sure we make the GF this year, 2024 is the year to go boom.

How many here were expecting finals at the start of the year? Not many, not I, regardless of this winning margin or lack of I’m not sure we make the GF this year, 2024 is the year to go boom.

Jesus Rick.

Jesus just opening this thread after watching the game late.

Ill take the 4 points and the 9 game winning spree, with no injuries and a great debut by Sinn any day of the week.

Missed an opportunity for percentage sure, but we won.

great debut for sinn???

1) it wasnt his debut, he already played last year
2) it wasnt good

ah yes, just like 2015 was the year where we were ready to take over

cue ken hinkley deck chair.jpg

Meh 100 points wouldn’t have mattered. The lads were cramping badly in the third. I’d rather forgo an extra 40 points to have fresher legs for Marvel next week.

we didn't save any legs though. we spent the last half chasing tail as hawthorn kicked 11 goals and took it end to end repeatedly.

if we were trying to save legs why didn't we put extras back and clog the game up, or slow it down and chip it around? both would have been frustrating to watch, but so was hawthorn waltz in almost 80 points in a half.

That first half was probably the best footy I’ve ever seen from this group, there was literally nothing you could fault.

It’s what made the second half so disappointing because it looked absolutely destined for a 120 point win and ended up going backwards pretty quickly to 55.

Which gave all of us a very flat feeling at the end of the match, when we should’ve been celebrating.

They clearly put the cue in the rack knowing the game was won at half time and hawthorn fought hard for some respectability.

Very similar to that game we played against them in 2017, but also similar to what we used to do under choco all the time.

Is it a concern? I’m not sure. But at the end of the day I’m glad we won, 9 In a row is a club record, 10 and 2 and also plenty of positives to take out of that.

Perhaps they switched off knowing we’ve got a very big fortnight ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
First half was as well as we've played. Waltzed clearances out, hit targets, rarely lost the ball and then when we did, our pressure was manic and we smashed them in basically every contest. Great to see Marshall and Finlayson hit the scoreboard and we looked several classes above.

2nd half was as bad as we've played and the philosophy that led to it is pathetic. The class gulf between the sides was clear to see and it's completely unacceptable to allow a team you've dominated so completely to beat you in a half of footy.

I don't agree with putting the cue in the rack anyway, but what we did went well beyond that. We allowed a garbage side to get a hold of us. We didn't slow the game down or maintain possession, we just released pressure, took off our ruckman to allow them to dominate the clearances and effectively stopped playing.

Good teams kill bad teams off. They don't allow them to kick runs of goals. It might "not matter" because we won the game, but there is a psychological advantage to smashing teams that we have repeatedly refused to take at AFL level under either of our long term coaches. Not to mention percentage.

The complete change in fortunes at clearances after we decided to sub off our ruckman should put to bed any of the nonsense we've seen over the past 2 seasons playing part timers or green ruckmen. Just play a competent tap ruckman first and foremost.

The idea that port fans should settle for near enough is good enough is hogwash.

We’re not a rebuilding club fresh off the mat.

This coach has had a record tenure and has a midfield previous coaches would love.

The pass mark is a grand final. And getting smacked for 2 qtrs by a bad side missing their best player doesn’t bode well for us if we’re serious.

It’s good to get the 4 points, but we need to be better, cause absolutely no one will remember 9 wins in a row.

This game has no bearing on making a grand final at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 12, 2023 vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back