Preview Round 13 2020 - Brisbane Lions vs St Kilda, GABBA, Sunday August 23 3:35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
St Kilda would surely start this game as favourite. Especially with Rich not back. So we have our backs to the wall which might help lift the intensity.

I hope Fullarton goes well. He struck me last year in NEAFL games as the most athletic and clean of the four talls we have tried so far. I didn’t think he would be ready yet but perhaps he will be the one to take his chance. He moves quite well for his size and if he can use his basketball hand skills to effect he can play a role.
Brisbane $1.40
St Kilda $2.88

Jeeze really? This game has $1.90 each written all over it
Well it's $1.90 for +15.5 on the Saints.

I ain't a gambling man but that's one way to get me to start...

Excited to see Fullerton, there’s been a lot of positivity about his potential. How’s his set shot on goals?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
My son’s been working with him and he says he’s showing promise. Very good inside 30 metres.

I haven't watched many saints games this year, what's their backline like? Just looking at the names in the lineup no one jumps out at me, as opposed to their mid and forward line

Sorry for the intrusion, came to read the game day preview which folk on our board were talking about (was great by the way).

Not surprised you don’t know many, we have quietly went about building a solid back line who are mostly quite young. Ratten’s ethos seems to be he wants defenders that can all kick the footy (which is why Geary has often played as a shut down forward this year).

Howard (24) will be our main KPD and has had a really solid year aside from a few moments of madness with inexplicable kicking. He is very athletic, moves well and will look to spoil a lot.

Carlisle will likely play an intercepting role.

Battle (21) is a swing man who will play forward and wing but will also drop back at times, has been used very well in an intercept role also. We drafted him as a forward but due to so many injuries he played in the back line last year and did really well.

Wilkie (24) was a rookie pick up in the 2018 draft, got his chance R1 2019 and has played every game since. He is a reliable defender who can play tall or small
and is a good kick of the footy. Probably been our biggest surprise package as an accountant playing SANFL to AFL best 18 in one preseason.

Coffield (20) will play half back and is another good user of the footy. Made a few mistakes earlier in the year but seems Ratten is backing the players to take the game on and he has grown in confidence. Good kick and can take a mark (Leads the club for intercept marks) but is still young and prone to the odd error under pressure.

Paton (21) is another solid half back. Good mark and gets quite a lot of intercept marks and possessions. Did a great job on Papley a few weeks back keeping him to 1 goal and around 10 touches. Might go to Cameron.

Ben Long (23) has just moved to half back this year after playing as HF the last couple. He is fearless and attacks the ball hard and is another good user. He had a few weeks off for a bump on Sean Darcy that concussed him and seems to have lost a bit of edge since then.

Hunter Clark (21) is a huge out for us this week, rested. Been one of our best players this year and is a half back we hope will move into midfield in the near future.

Geary will probably play a lockdown role on Cameron, but since his injuries he really has lost the physical attributes that made him such a good lockdown defender on good small forwards. If Cameron is playing well I think this will be too tough a match up for Geary. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him retire this year, some are questioning if he would be best 22 if he wasn’t captain.

Apologies for going on a bit and also if the above was stating what‘s already known for most of you and although I rate our defence we are going to have our work cut out with the number of I50s you generate and trying to keep your forwards quiet.

Hopefully it’s a great game, I don’t think any Saints fans are under the illusion that we will win tomorrow without being at our very best. Enjoyed watching the way your boys go about it so let’s hope for a cracker.

Our best chance is if Ryder and Marshall can give us first use, we have not fared well against teams who have smashed us in the clearances so Neale, Zorko, Lyons etc...is quite a daunting prospect

All the best 🙂.

Last edited:
Hunter Clark out seems like a problem for the Saints. Their midfield looks a bit thin now.

On the other hand, it's a huge challenge for Fullarton, having to go up against Ryder and Marshall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back