Autopsy Round 15, 2021: Richmond v St.Kilda *CONNOLLY DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah it's definitely a style code or something. Even Nick Riewoldt's presenting voice has become - dare I say - a wee bit floggish after spending too much time with those good ol' boys in the fox footy studios, listen to him at the start of that replay; it's like he's been having injections of Cameron Ling.

A sad state of affairs.

I think Nick has been a breath of fresh air and really impartial on Foxfooty. Last night, for the first time, I heard a little bit of “jeez I’m tired of these other idiots ( Lyon and Brown) constantly laying into the Saints” and he got a little emotional.

A bit like, I can criticise my family, but don’t you dare. I liked it.

Mason wood gets another year surely.
Strange what a win does. Apart from a couple our recruits now look good. He will get another year. Butler mckernan Frawley and hanners are the only ones struggling now and pick wise they cost us nothing. One cost is money but only for one more year. The rest cheap as chips.

Looking at the backline last night with Howard, Wilkie and Highmore as best 22 defenders. Sinclair really hitting his straps as a small defender with Paton hopefully coming back at his best too. Webster and DMac doing there thing. Battle playing defensively. Long to me is still a defender but his move forward for that extra spark seemed to help last night. Then throw Connolly now into that mix as well is there any room for Coff and Clark in that backline anymore or do we develop them into the midfielders they were drafted to be? Clark is amazing to watch when he is winning ball at the contest and pretty much having the rest of the season off both him and the coaching staff should reassess his development strategy with the view of more midfield time and what he needs to do be successful in that position. Coff is an interesting one. We've seen his skills as an intercepting HBF but going back to an article from 3yrs ago they speak of his explosive speed in a 30m sprint. He looked slow last night and eventually coming off with a hamstring complaint I wonder if the coaching staff do the same as Clark and reassess his development too and regain his explosive speed and play him in the middle as that bigger bodied midfielder who can explode out of centre bounces. Could be wrong in my thinking here....happy to get roasted for my thinking.

You will not have heard the interview post game on ABC Radio b/w Malthouse, Ling and Paddy Ryder.
The specific question was about Dunstan but I thought Paddy’s answer was illuminating. Not only on Luke but the whole team.
He said that they (the Club, Dunstan, the coaches, Paddy himself? - not clear) had focused on what Luke does right, not what he does wrong.
Which allowed him a certain freedom in approaching the game.
Positive reinforcement I guess.
So if “Bridging the Gap“ included this, specifically for Luke, I’m speculating that something similar might be true club wide.
Not complaining, “Bridging the Gap” is 1 from 1.
Still a long way to go.
Both Malthouse and Ling were strong on that.
Gotta back this up.

And also, Malthouse was a huge wrap for Luke. Ling supportive but not as effusive.
Malthouse saying that every team needs a player like Dunstan: heart and soul, scrapping, get the ball forward at all costs. DE was irrelevant to him as most players of his type have a 50% DE because of their role.

I thought that was what the players had a beef with Richo about - he kept focussing on what they weren’t doing well rather than what they were.

Any teacher (coach) worth their salt should know that you always mainly focus on the positives and that positive reinforcement is worth a whole lot more. Not saying you can’t criticise, but always find a positive too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After winning tonight it makes me even more sad that we lost to Sydney, Adelaide and Geelong.
Win those 3 (which we obviously had every opportunity to do) and all-things-being-equal we’d be 9-5 right now, despite the fact we’ve been missing as many as 9 of our best 22 all season (9 in R1, back to 9 last week- then lost an in-form Clark after a quarter- and 8 again last night- and had 2 guys very underdone).

Pretty remarkable that despite being decimated by injuries pretty much all year and having a very unsettled team all season we were that close to being 9-5.

We’re nowhere near as bad as many think and we haven’t fallen anywhere near as far as say Melbourne did 3 years ago after they made a prelim.

I thought that was what the players had a beef with Richo about - he kept focussing on what they weren’t doing well rather than what they were.

Any teacher (coach) worth their salt should know that you always mainly focus on the positives and that positive reinforcement is worth a whole lot more. Not saying you can’t criticise, but always find a positive too.
I’m positive I’m an alcoholic

Man losing last week is even more frustrating now. No better feeling than beating the tigers tho

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

What I like is we obviously fixed what we did against crows
36 up toward the last quarter, we were able to shut the quarter down.
1 goal to nothing….good teaching and coaching and a very good response.
Shows our players and coaches are on the same page.

Sometimes pressure creates the friction and stress necessary to make diamonds

Win those 3 (which we obviously had every opportunity to do) and all-things-being-equal we’d be 9-5 right now, despite the fact we’ve been missing as many as 9 of our best 22 all season (9 in R1, back to 9 last week- then lost an in-form Clark after a quarter- and 8 again last night- and had 2 guys very underdone).

Pretty remarkable that despite being decimated by injuries pretty much all year and having a very unsettled team all season we were that close to being 9-5.

We’re nowhere near as bad as many think.
Not a hope in hell 8 of our best 22 are missing. Some guys who some think were best 22 players have now been passed. And you cant count hanners at all imo.

What I like is we obviously fixed what we did against crows
36 up toward the last quarter, we were able to shut the quarter down.
1 goal to nothing….good teaching and coaching and a very good response.
Shows our players and coaches are on the same page.

Sometimes pressure creates the friction and stress necessary to make diamonds
Missed membery last game. We just simple win with him playing. He would have been the spare down back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 15, 2021: Richmond v St.Kilda *CONNOLLY DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back