Autopsy Round 15, 2021: Richmond v St.Kilda *CONNOLLY DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

There'd be no one happier than me to see Spook revive his career, but we need to draw a line between the chaos element which is fine and the downright bloody terrible element which has seen him in and out of the side.
With Dunny in form we have a good ball winning trio that's been lacking for a long long time. Whilst not fast or flashy it's a solid enough combo to win the battle more than %50 of the time.

Let's not count our chickens just yet though. Our team needs to earn back any offerings of good faith.

That's what Richmond did so well, they never looked at what was missing, they created a game plan for what they had in front of them. You have poor disposal? Weaponise it. You can't win one on ones in defence? Swarm, block and gridlock. No contested inside players... play to win the ball back on the outside through pressure.

Hopefully Ratts learns from having to play with what he has through injury. It's a coaching progression that could save his career.

You will not have heard the interview post game on ABC Radio b/w Malthouse, Ling and Paddy Ryder.
The specific question was about Dunstan but I thought Paddy’s answer was illuminating. Not only on Luke but the whole team.
He said that they (the Club, Dunstan, the coaches, Paddy himself? - not clear) had focused on what Luke does right, not what he does wrong.
Which allowed him a certain freedom in approaching the game.
Positive reinforcement I guess.
So if “Bridging the Gap“ included this, specifically for Luke, I’m speculating that something similar might be true club wide.
Not complaining, “Bridging the Gap” is 1 from 1.
Still a long way to go.
Both Malthouse and Ling were strong on that.
Gotta back this up.

And also, Malthouse was a huge wrap for Luke. Ling supportive but not as effusive.
Malthouse saying that every team needs a player like Dunstan: heart and soul, scrapping, get the ball forward at all costs. DE was irrelevant to him as most players of his type have a 50% DE because of their role.

100% this

people need to google Josh Wooden

It was a good game from him. He showed how his attributes can be effective on a wing. My concern is that he does that about once a month at best on a wing and Ratts will use it as justification to continue on with the idea. I'd love for it to consistently work out, but I just don't think he is a genuine wingman.

Yeah, I hate it and think he looks much better as a third tall/KP but he was huge last night. His game slipped under the radar a bit but he's a scary size when he's moving at pace and player have to get out of his way. If he could play like that every game it would make him pretty unique.

It was a good game from him. He showed how his attributes can be effective on a wing. My concern is that he does that about once a month at best on a wing and Ratts will use it as justification to continue on with the idea. I'd love for it to consistently work out, but I just don't think he is a genuine wingman.

valid concerns!!!

bit like the side we want to see consistency

You will not have heard the interview post game on ABC Radio b/w Malthouse, Ling and Paddy Ryder.
The specific question was about Dunstan but I thought Paddy’s answer was illuminating. Not only on Luke but the whole team.
He said that they (the Club, Dunstan, the coaches, Paddy himself? - not clear) had focused on what Luke does right, not what he does wrong.
Which allowed him a certain freedom in approaching the game.
Positive reinforcement I guess.
So if “Bridging the Gap“ included this, specifically for Luke, I’m speculating that something similar might be true club wide.
Not complaining, “Bridging the Gap” is 1 from 1.
Still a long way to go.
Both Malthouse and Ling were strong on that.
Gotta back this up.

And also, Malthouse was a huge wrap for Luke. Ling supportive but not as effusive.
Malthouse saying that every team needs a player like Dunstan: heart and soul, scrapping, get the ball forward at all costs. DE was irrelevant to him as most players of his type have a 50% DE because of their role.
Yes sunny, I heard that interview and thought Paddy came across like a coach. His observations were superb. Apart from the influence of his play, its no wonder the players love him because he made clear, strong intelligent comments which showed really mature leadership. The kind of approach others would want to follow.

He's not a winger.

He's a forward.

1 good game on the wing won't settle either argument just yet

i think he needs consistency. tbh he has all the right attributes to play anywhere and you can see it almost happening. i think he's about to kick the door down.

I've felt confident on Dmac and never gave up hope because he has the attributes to be best 22. I've been frustrated with Long because i can see the same attributes.

i feel the same about Battle.

these guys have something, yes they're not performing and there's questions on their best position but i feel they've got qualities that can turn them into very good players.

Dunstan i am less sold on, due to running ability and disposal but i think at worst he's much needed depth. i feel dunstan is better version of Josh Wooden:
1624678140931.png

That win last night keeps our very slim finals hopes alive with Richmond being just one win ahead of us now in 8th spot.

Can't help thinking if only we'd won those two winnable games against the Swans and the Crows we'd be in the top 8 now and a genuine finals chance.

Our tough run home is probably going to cost us any chance of playing finals but if we play like we did last night we're capable of beating any team.

Last edited:
its almost like the big names know that they wont get suspended for these acts purely because of their name
Wheres that other one where he goes in just late and takes a short swing straight at the ribs of a saint already on the ground with someone on him
Flog act

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really proud of the performance last night. It was a full 4 quarters of effort. I expected Richmond to get a roll on at some point but we were so well set up that we never game them the opportunity to.

- So happy Dunstan has revived his career. Funny to think his career was almost over yet he's likely scored Brownlow votes in 3 of his past 5 games. Whether it is with us next year or someone else, he has showed his time in the AFL isnt over yet.

- Devastated for Coffield. He looked back to himself in the first half last night. Took some nice intercept marks, used the ball well and was moving better. Now another set back. Even if it is only a minor hammy, this entire year has been a write off for him. He needs a big pre season and to take the learns from all the challenges that have come up this year. But he still have the star attributes we saw last year.

- DMac's redemption has been great this year. That crazy contract is the only reason he is still on a list but he is making the most of it. Mason Wood is another who is making the most of his 2nd chance and is going a long way to secure himself another year.

- Long was only swapped to play forward at the last minute with JB out but I hope he plays there again next week. He looked dangerous every time he went near the ball, and his attack up forward as refreshing. He is a different type of small to Butler/Higgins so it added something different which we needed

- King didnt have his best game, but nailing those 2 shots on goal were huge for him. That's some confidence he can build on.

Overall, it was a great performance. It's the most cohesive the backline has looked all year, and the Steele/Crouch/Dunstan combo is starting to hit their straps. A lot of improvement needed to the forward line but we have given ourselves a good platform to attack this back half of the season from.

I saw that Roo is on the panel of selectors for AA this year... Really hope he goes in to bat for Steeley. It's probably a long shot considering the amount of inside midfielders who have been genuinely incredible this year i.e. Oliver Wines Parish Lyons etc. but I mean come on, the bloke is a weapon both offensively and defensively and plays the most consistently balanced game out of any current midfielder you can name

Really proud of the performance last night. It was a full 4 quarters of effort. I expected Richmond to get a roll on at some point but we were so well set up that we never game them the opportunity to.

- So happy Dunstan has revived his career. Funny to think his career was almost over yet he's likely scored Brownlow votes in 3 of his past 5 games. Whether it is with us next year or someone else, he has showed his time in the AFL isnt over yet.

- Devastated for Coffield. He looked back to himself in the first half last night. Took some nice intercept marks, used the ball well and was moving better. Now another set back. Even if it is only a minor hammy, this entire year has been a write off for him. He needs a big pre season and to take the learns from all the challenges that have come up this year. But he still have the star attributes we saw last year.

- DMac's redemption has been great this year. That crazy contract is the only reason he is still on a list but he is making the most of it. Mason Wood is another who is making the most of his 2nd chance and is going a long way to secure himself another year.

- Long was only swapped to play forward at the last minute with JB out but I hope he plays there again next week. He looked dangerous every time he went near the ball, and his attack up forward as refreshing. He is a different type of small to Butler/Higgins so it added something different which we needed

- King didnt have his best game, but nailing those 2 shots on goal were huge for him. That's some confidence he can build on.

Overall, it was a great performance. It's the most cohesive the backline has looked all year, and the Steele/Crouch/Dunstan combo is starting to hit their straps. A lot of improvement needed to the forward line but we have given ourselves a good platform to attack this back half of the season from.

Wood still has some really uneven performances but they are getting less frequent. North fans used to get frustrated with him because of it but he seems to have ironed out the peaks and troughs a bit.

Wood still has some really uneven performances but they are getting less frequent. North fans used to get frustrated with him because of it but he seems to have ironed out the peaks and troughs a bit.
Did he play more as a key forward at North? It seems like he's been able to roam a bit more the past few weeks which seems to help get him into the game more.

Beating the reigning premiers on their home deck and keeping them to two goals - their lowest score in forever - was not significant?

They had outs, but so did we.

Richmond’s lowest score at the MCG since 1927.

Richmond’s sixth lowest score ever.

The first time Richmond have been held to one goal or less in two halves since 1960.

Not a bad performance by the Saints. We’ve found a cracking defensive forward in Long, those sorts of players are as rare as hen’s teeth.

I’ve been thinking of late how we haven’t gotten nearly enough from our top end picks, but how’s the current luck we’ve had with them:

‘13 Billings - INJURED leg
‘14 McCartin - career ended by injury
‘15 Gresham - INJURED achilles
‘17 Clark - INJURED jaw
‘17 Coffield INJURED hamstring

You’ve only really got Max who’s actually fit and he’s probably banged up

I was really impressed with our attack on the ball and player.

We did nothing untoward and I feel bad for Balta but they had four players go off for significant amounts of time as a byproduct of our aggression.

Meanwhile Cotchin’s powder puff cheap shots had no effect.

Did he play more as a key forward at North? It seems like he's been able to roam a bit more the past few weeks which seems to help get him into the game more.

Yeah, sort of lead up high half forward KP hybrid maybe. He was always an athlete over a footballer type that could look amazing or terrible depending on the week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 15, 2021: Richmond v St.Kilda *CONNOLLY DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back