Game Day Round 15, 2024: West Coast vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Johnston, Dewar, Rawlinson and Hall will still be on the list next year, theyll get games when theyre ready, I dont know why people think there is such a rush. Burgiel hasnt shown much since coming back from his appendicitis, he cant be far off.
Trew is done, im not even considering him.
Culley is the only other one, it makes 0 sense to whinge about Culley not getting a game when we were clearly lacking SPEED and probably have too much HEIGHT in the side. Culley is the complete opposite of what we want.

Dont care if JJ or whoever gets a few games, do people forget we want to woo potential trade targets or free agents too? we need to be competitive and win a few games. Guys like JJ, Darling, etc are still playing better than those other guys mentioned

Next year the young guys who are getting games will be a year older, theyll be better equipped to handle some of the load which lets us bring more young guys in, and so on. Not all the young guys will make it either. Hall was a late 30s pick, Johnston was in the 50s, Dewar is a rookie, etc

As much as I want young guys to get games, I dont particularly want to be winning spoons too often. There is more than on-field performance and rushing 18 year olds in to consider here.
Is a guy like Harley going to want to stay if we are putting 10 teenagers out on the park each week and winning the next 2 wooden spoons? He might, but its definitely not going to be as fun to play footy like that
I would love to see your evidence for jones playing better than dewar and Harvey. He has been trash in the AFL this year.

We lost lots of games without Gaff+Sheed too, different players in and out.
When we had them in we weren't trying learn anything about them, we knew what to expect, they were plugging a gap, filling a need at the time, depth.

Trew played last year and his stats weren't too bad, kicked a goal or two.
I said they've all had a shot, I don't mean it's over for them? But they've all been introduced to travelling, a sub, playing time. Coach seems to be doing things in stages, slowly bringing them in, test the water etc - has mentioned 'he will get the experience of travelling with the team'. If they haven't played again, you have to ask yourself why?
As mentioned, they might play again in the 2nd term.
Just play them because they're young? Coach is trying to win games too. Do we enjoy losing games? We want to win, but we want to play inexperienced young ones repeatedly as well?
It’s not about just playing them because they are young. Sheed, gaff and jones are genuinely not very good and have been very bad in the AFL this year. We have actually been at our worst with those three in the side. Show me evidence they have been better than the other three?

Playing a random quarter isn’t getting a shot when the older counterpart gets a run of five games.

Is Dewar not deserving of a game? Or even Trew? Maybe Johnston? And regardless have you watched any of the WAFL games? The environment there is worse than our AFL team. Trew's numbers in that rabble of a team are excellent.

I'm not in the camp of play kids just for the sake of it. However, these 3 deserve more of a run than shitty single quarter as subs.

And what's the rationale behind not giving these kids the run? Are we worried about not making finals? About our reputation? We are a rabble and the MC needs to recognise this and start having an eye on the future by allowing kids to play in their positions for a full game.

But yeah, let's paint everyone that wants to see deserved kids get a shot in our flailing side as unreasonable.
It’s so strange that this sub is arguing for guys like sheed and jones to get game time over somewhat talented youth in a rebuild. Just makes zero sense. The fact that trew hasn’t got a full game over sheed and gaff is a genuine disgrace.

Is Dewar not deserving of a game? Or even Trew? Maybe Johnston? And regardless have you watched any of the WAFL games? The environment there is worse than our AFL team. Trew's numbers in that rabble of a team are excellent.

I'm not in the camp of play kids just for the sake of it. However, these 3 deserve more of a run than shitty single quarter as subs.

And what's the rationale behind not giving these kids the run? Are we worried about not making finals? About our reputation? We are a rabble and the MC needs to recognise this and start having an eye on the future by allowing kids to play in their positions for a full game.

But yeah, let's paint everyone that wants to see deserved kids get a shot in our flailing side as unreasonable.

More thinking of the weekly calls for Hall or Burgeil to get a game because yoof. When they've been bad.

No problems with giving anyone a run if they've been good.

We are road kill, flat track bully victim today.

Brad Scott is licking his lips. This is one of the games he’s been looking forward to.

I don't think we're going to win (happy to get that wrong as always though), if we lose whilst showing intensity then so be it. In the past 3 games/12 quarters we've shown roughly 3-4 quarters on intent and focus.

**** I hate feeling this way about the Eagles. Supposed to be a fun interest but the past few weeks have really drained my optimism.

Time to snap out of this funk; great to see Oscar back. Hopefully Waterman can continue his great form. Hough to do another job. Some more glimpses from Ginbey and Chesser and fighting spirit from the team overall.

Expecting a frustrating game today with plenty of nearly moments. There is a clear emphasis on speed so I'm expecting something resembling our first month of the season - trying to take the game on but ultimately being punished on turnovers by a much better side. Keen to see what we do with Maric and Ryan in particular.

Today is about green shoots, people.

Today I would like to see Chesser play on ball not wing.

Ryan and Brockman rotate through and play stints on ball and take centre bounces as the Kelly role clearance mid and add some pace and swervability.

That is a different set up worth pursuing as it can add options even when we get mids back and or add new mids to the list.

More thinking of the weekly calls for Hall or Burgeil to get a game because yoof. When they've been bad.

No problems with giving anyone a run if they've been good.
Not sure Hall is ever going to be more than depth anyway, has always seemed to me to be the kind of guy who is a decent WAFL midfielder but doesn't have the tools to make it in the AFL.

Today I would like to see Chesser play on ball not wing.

Ryan and Brockman play stints on ball and take centre bounces as the Kelly role clearance mid and add some pace and swervability.

That is a different set up worth pursuing as it can add iptions even when we get mids back and or add new mids to the list.
I hear you. It was interesting to watch Chesser in person. He actually looked good with the ball in his hands but he seems a little lost off ball. I think he'll do well on ball.

From memory, I think our first centre bounce against North was Yeo, Sheed and Culley and we looked much more dynamic with Ryan/Petrucelle in the middle. I think it is a no brainer to put one of Petrucelle/Ryan/Brockman in at every bounce.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hear you. It was interesting to watch Chesser in person. He actually looked good with the ball in his hands but he seems a little lost off ball. I think he'll do well on ball.

From memory, I think our first centre bounce against North was Yeo, Sheed and Culley and we looked much more dynamic with Ryan/Petrucelle in the middle. I think it is a no brainer to put one of Petrucelle/Ryan/Brockman in at every bounce.
I reckon today's the day you just tell Chesser to hunt the ball above all else, chuck him in the middle from the opening bounce and give him free reign.

Not sure Hall is ever going to be more than depth anyway, has always seemed to me to be the kind of guy who is a decent WAFL midfielder but doesn't have the tools to make it in the AFL.
I'm more optimistic with Hall. He's very good through traffic and has good pace for (primarily) an inside midfielder. Has areas of his game to develop but there's enough to work with.

Always? Bloke hasn't even played a year of senior footy and has been injured for most of it (Ankle, followed by wrist).
Yes, has always seemed like that's where he'll end up imo. You can search my history watching his U18 games last year and I said much the same. He'll be a good player in the WAFL but I don't think he'll ever be a good AFL player

I'm more optimistic with Hall. He's very good through traffic and has good pace for (primarily) an inside midfielder. Has areas of his game to develop but there's enough to work with.
Fair enough, maybe he'll surprise me and he'll end up a great player. Would love it to be the case especially after we used this years 3rd to trade up for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back