Review Round 16 = Gold Coast 101-90 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Basically it’s ok to be out of form if you’re a defender because we play team defence. But their good form in 2023 was due to their individual excellence and they will be sure to recapture that form. But if you’re out of form and/or injured as a mid or ruck like Tom or Cox, ya done even though you were vital in the finals 9 months ago. Sully over Tom, Kreuger over Cox, Richards over Schultz etc etc

Let’s be honest, half the team is having a down year. Let’s call a spade a spade instead of protecting our favourites. I’d still back us to play the GF vs. Sydney if we get our shit together but we’re running out of time.

Expected this loss tbh. GC are unbeaten at home this year and we’re always sluggish coming off the bye. Hopefully the boys have now woken up properly and we’ll have a strong run home. If we can finish top 4 we’re a good chance to go all the way regardless of opponent.

We were average for most of the night, but losing Noble and Maynard late in that last qtr was that one last obstacle we couldn’t overcome
Definately have gotten into a habit of wanting to chase a game, when that is the pattern of play, you can’t expect to always get over the line
Need to fix this quick smart

Don't know how Markov escapes so much attention.

He's in the team for his rebound and he went on 2 runs last night, both of which he ended up kicking straight to a GC player.
He’s not up to it, I think there’s enough evidence to see now.
He just doesn’t generate enough meters gained, defends ok, and barely touches the footy.
The backline as a whole has been really poor this year.

The manner in which we approached the first three quarters was laughable.

Meek performance, happy we didn’t get out of jail because we didn’t deserve to be anywhere near them.
We lost to a team by 11 points who haven't lost at their home ground all year, with an elite midfield, fighting to play finals whilst we were coming off a bye. Majority of teams are sluggish after a bye, it's the norm.

Like I said, the over reactions to this one loss have been completely over the top.

We lost to a team by 11 points who haven't lost at their home ground all year, with an elite midfield, fighting to play finals whilst we were coming off a bye. Majority of teams are sluggish after a bye, it's the norm.

Like I said, the over reactions to this one loss have been completely over the top.

I give them a iffy pass this week as I still think we should beat them. What happens if we lose to Essendon next week?

It’s a poor loss. Particularly after the equally poor performance against North.
Look at the possession numbers in both games.

We were dominated.

Like I said, the over reactions to this loss have been laughable.
For me it’s not win/loss it’s the way we are playing, we are a mile off last year, there is a definite hunger that’s missing, particularly in workrate from contest to contest.
Personally I don’t think we are In good shape at all.

Did anyone find it odd that the majority of the senior group flew out to different parts of the country and Bali during the bye. That's alot of flying when you include the flight for the game. Some went to Qld then flew back to Melbourne then back to Qld for the game. I know the players need their freedom and all but we're in the business of winning premierships and we looked like a team in holiday mode.

For me it’s not win/loss it’s the way we are playing, we are a mile off last year, there is a definite hunger that’s missing, particularly in workrate from contest to contest.
Sadly, I agree.
Need to turn it around big time against Essendon.
Season on the line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did anyone find it odd that the majority of the senior group flew out to different parts of the country and Bali during the bye. That's alot of flying when you include the flight for the game. Some went to Qld then flew back to Melbourne then back to Qld for the game. I know the players need their freedom and all but we're in the business of winning premierships and we looked like a team in holiday mode.
No.

Personally Moore’s issues aren’t the contested losses.

It’s how many time he lets his opponents get uncontested footy by his lack of accountability, zoning off and trailing the contest.

He is horrible form if his role is legitimately to be a third up intercepting/disrupting defender.

We play a team and zone defence. The issue isn’t Moore in isolation. No defensive group will hold up given the supply GC forwards had yesterday.

Most teams are sluggish after a bye.

I don't mind if we aren't hitting our peak in June having had about 8 of our best 22 out injured.

I recall how we played in the last few weeks of the h&a season last year, and plenty were writing us off then too.

I give them a iffy pass this week as I still think we should beat them. What happens if we lose to Essendon next week?
Would be bizarre wouldn't it?

Particularly considering Cats got absolutely smashed by Suns only a few weeks ago .. and have been playing woeful & then go onto to smash the Bombers...after their bye.

Kind of proves the unpredictability of the competition and what can happen on any given day with a competition so close. You don't need to be off by much to lose the game.

We bring the pressure, I still believe we can beat anyone.

Why is it when we lose, everyone is terrible and got smashed? We got outplayed by a better side (up there) in the first three quarters. The fumbles were a result of the sweat and slippery conditions kind of unique to GC. They handled it beautifully because they are unbeaten at home.

Very proud of the comeback in the last, never say die, and in the end we were unlucky not to pinch it given Noble (who was a spark) and Maynard were both off for the better part of the last quarter.

But yeah as others have said, pinching it may paper over that we were outplayed. We need to be better pretty much all over the ground to be a top 4 team, which I don't believe we are on this year's form. Though granted it has been super disjointed with injuries and will continue to be with 3 injuries picked up last night.

20 mins in the 2nd term of kicking down the line repeatedly is what cost us. The game was relatively even outside of that period where we simply refused to change angles with our ball movement.

No need to over react. We lost by 11 points. 🙄
Scoreboard flattered us tbf. End result was 11, but geez we were lucky it was not more, as it should have been. But guess when you only play 1 quarter a game, a loss is bound to happen.

Get back to work this week and respond come friday

Not ideal that Essendon too too, as they'll be looking to respond as well, so should make a very interesting friday night football.

The margin is just wallpaper over some pretty big cracks.
We need to find form quick smart.
Perspective.

If someone had told you that by round 16 we'd be 2 points from 3rd, and 4 points from 2nd having gone a large chunk of the year without players of the calibre of McStay, Checkers, Elliott, Pendles, Mitchell, JDG, Cox & a retired Murphy and losing at least 2 players through injury in almost every match, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised.

We have players who have had to step up in their absence who had hardly played seniors, if at all, prior to this year. Dean, Krueger, Sullivan, Harrison, Bytel, Richards, Allan, TJ, Parker.

I think it's been a monumental year considering the injuries we've had. And the good news is, those players are all starting to come back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 16 = Gold Coast 101-90 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back