Review Round 16 = Gold Coast 101-90 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember last year there was a patch we looked very flat energy wise and some of wondered if we were doing training loads to prep us for finals. Is this the case now?

Shultz out with gastro, Quaynor ill leading up to the game. We looked flat and definitely were walking during first three quarters. I wondered if some other players like Crisp weren't feeling 100%. With five changes already a couple of more would be tough. Some of the lethargy could be explained on illness. We will never know.

I do think our training loads have been adjusted from last years late loading and just maybe giving players a long bye rest backfired.

Im am convinced we are building into the season and will peak late. Its just injuries keep upsetting team balance. We just need to get settled later in the season.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Shultz out with gastro, Quaynor ill leading up to the game. We looked flat and definitely were walking during first three quarters. I wondered if some other players like Crisp weren't feeling 100%. With five changes already a couple of more would be tough. Some of the lethargy could be explained on illness. We will never know.

I do think our training loads have been adjusted from last years late loading and just maybe giving players a long bye rest backfired.

Im am convinced we are building into the season and will peak late. Its just injuries keep upsetting team balance. We just need to get settled later in the season.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I wondered that myself about other players feeling a bit flat through illness too.

Didn't want to post as it seemed like an excuse. So I'm glad someone else has 😉

Is it time to make Howe a full time forward? We struggle to kick goals when he’s not playing forward. He seems to be playing the Elliot hit up role.
I think he’s too valuable to our defence to move permanently forward. We should bring in another key forward like Eyre so WHE can play that hit up role instead of playing as a key forward.

I wondered that myself about other players feeling a bit flat through illness too.

Didn't want to post as it seemed like an excuse. So I'm glad someone else has 😉
Just a premiership hangover sadly. Played in fits and starts all year

Picking and choosing on effort and playing Hollywood football
Our game plan relies on maximum effort and pressure- can we commit to that ?

What has saved us in a lot of our wins from the jaws of defeat, has been the opposition’s inability to kick a goal in the last 2 minutes when it mattered with many near misses. GC kicked 2 goals – it was only a matter of time before a team did this

Naicos was simply… brilliant for all 4 quarters – 32 disposals, 5 clearances, 5I50’s, 2 goals, 9 SI’s & 691 MG and to a lesser extent JDG & Jaicos, otherwise we looked, slow, inept & lacked pressure

Watching it on TV I was sure the Pies were slaughtered in centres clearances due to so many of GC’s midfield roaming out of the centre at will with ball in hand. Their midfield of Flanders, Anderson, Miller, Rowell & Witts moved the ball with pace, precision & effectiveness. They appeared to always take the first option which made them look quicker.

Anderson 39 disposals, 6 clearances, 4 I50’s, 8 SI’s

Flanders 33 disposals, 6 clearances, 5 I50’s, 8 SI’s, 1 goal

Miller 31 disposals, 4 clearances, 5 I50’s, 9 SI’s, 2 goals

Ainsworth 28 disposals, 5 I50’s, 8 SI’s, 2 goals

Witts, 19 disposals, 3 clearances, 6 I50’s, 32 HO’s, 7 SI’s

Yet we won clearances & stoppages. Clearly we didn’t do much with it

However what didn’t lie is has happened in nearly every game this year, is the opposition’s ability to deny our midfield the ball for long chunks of time in quarters, and our inability to reset or change during a quarter, resulting in a run on of goals

GCS had +18 more I50’s. It felt at times that the ball lived there

The lack of pressure from our midfield allowed the GC HB’s, mid’s & HF’s to bring the ball in at will creating both real & perceived pressure. When this occurs our zone defence makes our backs look like fools. I counted more than 5 times where our defenders could not impact a contest because they were guarding space between two opponents, because the lack of pressure upfield provided too many options. Having said that, our defence was poor. All of them appear down on form. Howe was unaccountable before he was moved forward. Frampton lacked any physicality & failed to impact the contest. Ben King had 4 marks (all uncontested) & kicked 4 goals. Moore was less

We also played into GCS hands by flooding the backline. Time and time again we had so many players in D50 that we could not transition the ball out of defence, as we had no one to kick to, resulting in repeat I50’s for GCS

Unfortunately we had too many players having poor nights. Crisp was fumbling all night. He was let-down further by his poor disposal (7 clangers/ 8 direct turnovers). Sullivan (33%), Hill (50%), McCreey (44%), Sidey (55%) & Pendles (55%) were also poor with ball in hand

Cameron was good around the ground for much of the night. I remain frustrated by his unwillingness to jump at ball ups, take his eye off the ball & attempt to wrestle for a tap. I am livid by his lack of peripheral vision in that every game he hack kicks out of a contest (when he has options around him) which constantly results in a turnover & often leads to goals as it did last night. This stopped all of our momentum when we had just hit the front. We did not recover

The ball continued to come out of our forward line too easily. We missed Schultz’s forward pressure & tackling last night. We have missed Mason Cox in every game since his injury. His first hands to the ball in ruck & the structure and marks he provides coming out of defence. We need him back ASAP

I think that these types of games will continue. We do not have the personnel to play the game plan 100% of the time. But our game plan & belief is such that we are never out of the game. Fly & his team constantly find new ways for us to score goals & compete.

However, we need more personnel to plug gaps that our list does not have. We need pace in our midfield. We also need a beast like Rowell. We need a ruck that can jump. We need a big KPD who can mix it physically & lock-down a forward

Fantastic post.

It just shows that clearance numbers can quite often tell a lie, it's the quality that makes the difference.

Without potting one bloke as he's had an awesome 8 week patch, Jack Crisp had a stinker on Sat night. He either fumbled the ball, missed easy targets or hacked kicked the ball from stoppage all night. I counted 5 turnovers from JC that resulted in goals to the Suns. Pendles was short of a gallop, Sully looks ready for a spell in the magoos, we need Bobby to become more reliable. Too many almost games where he makes simple errors. Yes, he's sensational when it all clicks, but sometimes you just want more reliability from him. He should be the best small forward in the game with the skillset that he possesses.

It was clear that it was a typically slippery Gold Coast weather and our lads didn't handle the ball well, outside of a couple of our obvious guns in Nick and Jordy.

Destiny sits in our own hands the next 2 weeks, win both and we sit in the top 4.

It's pretty simple. We defend aggressively starting with gang tackling in the midfield. But if we miss a tackle, they can get ahead of the pack and defenders roll up to stop it, leaving us really exposed inside 50. Like any system, ours has weaknesses that can be exploited if the opposition is good enough or more commonly when we're a bit flat, missing tackles and thus not able to maintain pressure.

Moore's going well defensively, but teams are putting a lot of work into stoppiing him intercept mark with a fair bit of scgragging - so he's not dominating the air as much as we're used to.

Billy's Billy - a bit of a battler whose good with predictable entries to a contest, but doesn't react as quickly as he needs to with other entries.

We were still in holiday mode in the first half, which happens to heaps of teams straight after the bye. I thought we were good in the second half, but they got lucky in the third quarter.

3/4 of the side sunbaking on Burleigh Heads beach Saturday morning suggests that might have been up there for a holiday, and not a big game of footy.

Then why would we play him if he isn't 100%.
Majority of players at the end of the season aren't 100%.

The assessments are usually.

1.will playing further agravate an injury or out the player at risk.
2.will the issue impact a players ability to play

If player and coaches are confident of no risk of further injury, and the player can still play their role they get picked.

Pendles didnt have the best game, but clearly still a quality contributor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clearance numbers lie. The quality of the Suns was far better than our hack kicks out of the middle all night.
They got the numbers there and were able to chain out of the stoppage, get ahead of the pack and get dangerous entries from their clearances.

Their mids are good and I think their flankers worked harder up into the contest than ours - you never know whether that is workrate or a tactical win by Hardwick.

Clearance numbers lie. The quality of the Suns was far better than our hack kicks out of the middle all night.

Yeah that sort of game is a reminder we are missing the contest and defensive midfield play of Tom Mitchell. I don’t want to see a rolls Royce such as Nick doing too much grunt work, or even DeGoey doing it. PS. Some of Witts’ taps were superb. Numbers wise Darcy Cameron was ok but to the eye he was well beaten.

Just a premiership hangover sadly. Played in fits and starts all year

Picking and choosing on effort and playing Hollywood football
Our game plan relies on maximum effort and pressure- can we commit to that ?
No that's not what I was referring to. I don't buy that premiership hangover stuff.

Back 2 back is difficult. We're amongst it in the 8 like a whole bunch of other sides.

PS. Some of Witts’ taps were superb. Numbers wise Darcy Cameron was ok but to the eye he was well beaten.

Wouldn’t it be great to have a ruckman like Jarryd Witts … wait, what?!?

Oh, that’s alright, we ended up with Brodie Grundy instead. Great. Not great.

Never mind, we must have gotten something good for Witts … checks … picks 44 and 62. Damn!

Did we do anything useful with those picks? … checks … we got Josh Daicos, future Copeland winner, OK that’s decent.

But hang on, Josh was a father-son that nobody else wanted. We could have got him for one of TD’s half eaten packets of chicken Twisties. Damn.

They got the numbers there and were able to chain out of the stoppage, get ahead of the pack and get dangerous entries from their clearances.

Their mids are good and I think their flankers worked harder up into the contest than ours - you never know whether that is workrate or a tactical win by Hardwick.

there aren't many better starting midfields than Rowell, Miller and Anderson. They are all very very good players.

I liked Jordy’s goal as much as anybody, but Nick’s was better.

Also loved that tracer bullet kick by Bruz to set up goal #4 in that video; reminded me of the build up to the grim reaper goal by Elliott in 2022.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back