Review Round 17, 2024 vs Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

I enjoyed yesterday’s win only because it reminded me how good many of our players can be, and reinforced loud and clear that our failure to achieve anything is not because we haven’t had the cattle.

I think the remaining matches in our fixture will take care of us not making finals. Four of our last 7 games are extremely tough (Swans, Freo in Perth, Dees and Blues in Melbourne). Two of the other 3 are also arguably less than 50-50 starting this week. With our percentage where it is, we may well miss out with 12 or even 13 wins. That has to be enough even for our inept board.

The game where Hinkley dropped a tall so he could bring impey in against the tall eagles and McGovern had a great game as a loose man in the backline and you want to pin that on a 19yr old Todd?

The prosecution has to go back 7 years and try to pin that on Todd, they’re not resting , they’re proving my point.
Today we learn that Aidyn Johnson is a tall.

Eagles played two defenders in McGovern and MacKenzie. Port played Todd Marshall and Charlie Dixon.

Eric MacKenize played full back against Charlie Dixon. So which tall do you think was supposed to be making McGovern accountable?

The problem with the 2017 Elim Final forward line was that we didn't bring in Trengove (who was dropped for Marshall) to play a defensive role on McGovern.

This is the sort of mentality Jack Cahill put into every player at Port every week. That's what a successful coach does,

Yes I know, I'm preaching to the choir here ;)
As an aside, when you put John Cahill into Giphy, you get the following

John Wayne Agree GIF by GritTV
John Wayne Cheers GIF by GritTV
Confused John Wayne GIF by GritTV

So following that theme, this is what Jack would have done with Butters yesterday…

John Wayne Swimming GIF by GritTV

Begs the question... what do you do with Esava now?
Hopefully have him monster some of those "no AFL in the SANFL" ex AFL players who usually monster our 19yo beanpole recruits.
Unless BZT or Allie are injured, or unless we swap out Finlayson or Marshall he doesn't have a place at the moment

The match started perfectly for Port.
Our best players had the footy+The Bulldogs best didn't touch the footy.The Bullies missed a number of easy shots.We nailed our shots.Lucky Marshall didn't have the footy.
Some of our struggling players lifted.Taking pressure of our best players.
Jones,Allir,DBJ,Sweet,Lord,Wines,Boak
Playing Marshall up the ground worked well.
Georgiades was excellent.
Fingers crossed Rioli fit nex
t week.
BZT with another outstanding performance.
JHF got of the heavy tag after HT.Created all kind of problems for the Bulldogs.And kept Ports momentum going in the second half.One of the posters compared him to Jason Akermanis
yesterday,great comparison.

I'm no Hot Toddy fan but the 2017 disaster was definitely not on him, it was on the idiot coach who picked an 18 year old key forward to play his third game against Jeremy McGovern in a final.

And you can just imagine Hinkley thinking he was some type of finals wizard making that selection (remember, unbelievably, his finals record was actually quite good at that stage). Just lol.

Midfield, midfield, midfield.

When a team's midfield dominates then its forwardline tends to kick above average AFL game goals and its defence keeps the oppo to below AFL average goals.

Ditto yesterday.

The Bulldogs top end mid group is as good as anyone's, The Bont, Treloar, Liber, Macrae, Richards and English.

We have hung shit on our mids lately, but yesterday in the sunshine and not much tagging, they all shone. Rozee, Butters and Wines were huge in the first quarter and Horney after half time. Game was over at quarter time.

They couldn't keep up with our gun mids. Dont think Bevo tried too hard to shut anyone down.

And the benefit was low passes to Georgi (and others) who took 4 marks on the lead in the first half for 4 goals. Has returned from his ACL beautifully.

The issue still is what happens if the big 4 get shut down and dont deliver? Or the oppo mids get way on top in a midfield shoot out where nobody defends.

Games against Sydney, Melbourne, Suns and Freo we will findout if we can out shine the better mid field squads, or get over their defensive clamps on our mids.

Last edited:
Today we learn that Aidyn Johnson is a tall.

Eagles played two defenders in McGovern and MacKenzie. Port played Todd Marshall and Charlie Dixon.

Eric MacKenize played full back against Charlie Dixon. So which tall do you think was supposed to be making McGovern accountable?

The problem with the 2017 Elim Final forward line was that we didn't bring in Trengove (who was dropped for Marshall) to play a defensive role on McGovern.

This is all factually incorrect.

West coast had McKenzie, McGovern and barrass as key defenders that game.

3 key defenders. As I said.

Trengove was not dropped for Todd Marshall.

Todd was already in the team, he played the game before, and the game before.

Trengove was dropped to bring in impey, who was returning from a month off.

This is not my opinion, this is fact. Trengove was not dropped to bring in a player who was already in the team!

He was dropped to bring in jarman impey, who had missed nearly a month of football of any kind.

This is not my opinion, this is fact. Trengove was not dropped to bring in a player who was already in the team!

He was dropped to bring in jarman impey, who had missed nearly a month of football of any kind.
And who then walked out on the club.

Trengove didn't play in round 23 against Gold Coast

Apparently had the same issues at Geelong, their backline were suddenly better in games he didn't play.

That said, Bergman would be one of the best defenders in the AFL, disgusting that we tried him elsewhere.
just dont play him, he is bad.
Sunk cost just take the L, silver lining is that BZT isnt a total hack also.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's that stat exactly? Against bottom 10 at home?
Yeah you can call it the Hinkley era, or you can just say every game at AO.

Either way, we have not lost a daytime/twilight game at Adelaide Oval against a bottom 10, interstate side.

The number is actually 38 - 0

It's a phenomenal number. The only side that's beaten us in that slot and been bottom 10 is the Crows.

Basically we are an absolute lock to churn out wins in these games.

On the flip side we are 44% in home games Vs top 8 in day/twilight, and at night we are 33% vs top 8.

Yet despite the absolute ridiculous regularity of these results..... wHeReS tHe HiNkLeY HaTeRZ nOW!!!

Last edited:
At half time I had us kicking 9.1 from set shots and posted it in the game day thread.

I also posted that we would go from 10.5 to 15.15. I wasn't that far off.

We had 32 shots on goal for 15.12 from 53 I50s. I think our set shot conversion was 10.6 with 4 shots that didn't score anything.

AFLxScore
@AFLxScore . Jul 6
#AFLPowerDogs Final xScores:
PORT 102 from expected 111.1 (+0 rushed)
WB 54 from expected 54.0 (+0 rushed)

1720418657873.png

Last edited:
Yeah you can call it the Hinkley era, or you can just say every game at AO.

Either way, we have not lost a daytime/twilight game at Adelaide Oval against a bottom 10, interstate side.

The number is actually 38 - 0

It's a phenomenal number. The only side that's beaten us in that slot and been bottom 10 is the Crows.

Basically we are an absolute lock to churn out wins in these games.

On the flip side we are 44% in home games Vs top 8 in day/twilight, and at night we are 33% vs top 8.

Yet despite the absolute ridiculous regularity of these results..... wHeReS tHe HiNkLeY HaTeRZ nOW!!!

Brisbane were bottom 10 when we lost to them the other week. The win obviously pushed them into the 8 but at the time they were.

They’re obviously far too good to be bottom 10 and are getting it together again but does ruin the streak.

Brisbane were bottom 10 when we lost to them the other week. The win obviously pushed them into the 8 but at the time they were.

They’re obviously far too good to be bottom 10 and are getting it together again but does ruin the streak.
It's based on where the team finishes. If the premier loses round 1 & 2, sits on the bottom of the ladder, but still wins the premiership, you don't look back at that time you played them and got beaten in round 3 as having played the bottom side. You played the premiers.

There's also the complexity of the bye, or different draws early in the season. Like Geelong had which got them up before a few tough ones brought them down.

So right now, Hawthorn, WB and WC have been our day games against bottom 10 opposition. WB and maybe Hawthorn could still make finals, but it is unlikely and as such at the end of the year right now our record will likely sit at 38-0. Brisbane will make finals and in no way would end up classed as a loss to a bottom 10 side.

What's interesting about the Geelong win, is that if they sneak into top 4, it'll be the first time we've beat a top 4 side away from home in many years.

Agree, although this was a case of nearly all played. I would have thought Butters might have separated himself from the rest of the pack given that like Rozee, he got things going early for us.
oh easily, and the fact he was subbed with more than half the 4th qtr left.

Cool.

So again why are you claiming west coast had 2 key defenders and Todd lost the game by letting McGovern run off him?
For the former, I missed Barrass on the bench when I had a look back at the side.

For the latter, I watched the game and saw skinny Todd hanging around McGovern as he freely grabbed continual intercept marks. It was always a simple thing after the game, if we were maintaining our forward structure for that year, we should've gone with Trengove instead of Marshall, or we should've brought Trengove in for Aidyn Johnson instead of Impey and gone with an additional tall.

Mind you 2017 Tom Barrass is a different factor than the version that Champion Data ranked as elite going into the 2019 season.

For the former, I missed Barrass on the bench when I had a look back at the side.

For the latter, I watched the game and saw skinny Todd hanging around McGovern as he freely grabbed continual intercept marks. It was always a simple thing after the game, if we were maintaining our forward structure for that year, we should've gone with Trengove instead of Marshall, or we should've brought Trengove in for Aidyn Johnson instead of Impey and gone with an additional tall.

Mind you 2017 Tom Barrass is a different factor than the version that Champion Data ranked as elite going into the 2019 season.

so yeah, west coast had 3 key defenders, one of which was an elite 3rd interceptor and after we left Trengove at home so we could bring impey, a player who had missed a month of football, into the side, said interceptor did what we expect.

Said elite 3rd tall interceptor went on to do exactly what was always going to happen.

Hinkleys midget forward got us slaughtered time and again, he’s since addressed that issue (the one time he’s really addressed any coaching issue) and intercepting key defenders regularly murdering us unsurprisingly went the way of the dodo.

The 2017 Ef was a coaching structure failure , the same as Hinkley was committing regularly at the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 17, 2024 vs Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back