Unofficial Preview Round 17 vs. Essendon, MCG, 7:40pm Friday 05/07

Remove this Banner Ad

If you think the debate is purely about goals, then I think you’ve missed the point.
It's still too early to decide between the two players. I'd like to see how Kreuger performs with a winning midfield. Until or rather if Cox returns, the discussion is somewhat academic. It's only significant if our opponent has a Goliath clone playing in the ruck, and even then, it's still academic. Surely you see the urgent need to the side of a tall player capable of catching and kicking the ball in a meaningful way in the absence of McStay, and possibly beyond?

If Cox was available now, I could see them both playing where 2 rucks were required.

It's still too early to decide between the two players. I'd like to see how Kreuger performs with a winning midfield. Until or rather if Cox returns, the discussion is somewhat academic. It's only significant if our opponent has a Goliath clone playing in the ruck, and even then, it's still academic. Surely you see the urgent need to the side of a tall player capable of catching and kicking the ball in a meaningful way in the absence of McStay, and possibly beyond?

If Cox was available now, I could see them both playing where 2 rucks were required.
What I see without a true 2nd Ruck is the inability to:
  • maintain Ruck competitiveness for 100% of the game
  • use a down the line kick for a mark or spoil to crumbers.
  • deploy a Ruckman to fill the hole in defence when the game is in balance
  • deploy a Ruckman Fwd to stretch an opposition defence
  • tire or fatigue elite Rucks by double teaming them with big bodies, to blunt their effectiveness.

I repeat that I like Kreuger but he can’t be expected to do all the above which are necessary tactical options for Fly IMO.
Do we win the GF 2023 without 2 Ruck?

Rarely, if ever, see Ryan mentioned in these pages, including as a replacement for JFN, or to bolster our hard working defence. Does not augur well for the kid - he doesnt seem to be banging down the door.

What I see without a true 2nd Ruck is the inability to:
  • maintain Ruck competitiveness for 100% of the game
  • use a down the line kick for a mark or spoil to crumbers.
  • deploy a Ruckman to fill the hole in defence when the game is in balance
  • deploy a Ruckman Fwd to stretch an opposition defence
  • tire or fatigue elite Rucks by double teaming them with big bodies, to blunt their effectiveness.

I repeat that I like Kreuger but he can’t be expected to do all the above which are necessary tactical options for Fly IMO.
Do we win the GF 2023 without 2 Ruck?
Your points are all perfectly valid but only applicable if a fit and in form Cox is playing, which he is not.

I think Dean simply needs to stay in the side from here on out

Start preparing him to become Murphy's successor. Then he and Frampton can allow Moore a little more freedom and he won't look as silly with the other two covering for him

Out: Noble (inj), McCreery (inj), Maynard (inj), Sullivan (omit)
In: Dean, Schultz, Long, Fin
Sub: HH

I know I know, Fin doesn't seem up to the level. Worry is, he seems more up to it than Sullivan to me

Start preparing him to become Murphy's successor. Then he and Frampton can allow Moore a little more freedom and he won't look as silly with the other two covering for him

I know I know, Fin doesn't seem up to the level. Worry is, he seems more up to it than Sullivan to me
Maynard injured?

No more fin please. We've seen enough. Sullivan is doing a lot of grunt work that goes unnoticed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Play Sullivan in the midfield and not half forward he's up to it way more than Fin I'm afraid
and even him playing half forward and some midfield like he is now he's still an upgrade on Fin

I know I know, Fin ISNT up to the level. Worry is, he seems more up to it than Sullivan to me
Fixed for you

Bombers got 60 inside 50s against the Cats.
We can’t let that happen given our defensive issues.
Essendon are a bit disjointed forward of the ball at the moment, a bit like we were at times under Bucks.

They had 60 to 41 inside 50s against Carlton as well a few weeks back, but lost comfortably. They’re struggling to find targets inside 50 for the most part.

They’ve also lost their defensive edge that they had for the first half of the season - they’re now down to 14th in the comp for points conceded, ahead of only Geelong and the bottom 3 sides. We are only marginally ahead in 12th so need a big lift here also.

They’re such a hit and miss team that it’s hard to be too confident. We’ve only had one comfortable win against them since Anzac Day 2018.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back