Unofficial Preview Round 17 vs. Essendon, MCG, 7:40pm Friday 05/07

Remove this Banner Ad

Howe has to play forward. We have not been able to consistently kick goals unless Howe was playing forward.

Out: Noble, Sullivan, Beau
In: Dean, Richards, Schultz

I’d move WHE back to defence. Dean to play the 3rd tall role.

Crisp to move back to defence, whilst JDG takes some of his midfield minutes and fill the Sullivan rotation.

Richards to play the Sullivan role without the CBA.

We generally dont like playing Moore.Frampton. Dean and Howe in defence, unless Howe plays forward. So it'll be interesting to see who actually does replace Noble. Maybe a move of magnets type thing.
Yeah, we’re already struggling for run out of defence as it is. Bringing in Dean for Noble just compounds that.

We generally dont like playing Moore.Frampton. Dean and Howe in defence, unless Howe plays forward. So it'll be interesting to see who actually does replace Noble. Maybe a move of magnets type thing.
Howe forward Dean back
Whe back to replace Noble and then a bit of role musical chairs in defence.

That's what I"d do.

Last edited:
Howe has to play forward. We have not been able to consistently kick goals unless Howe was playing forward.

Out: Noble, Sullivan, Beau
In: Dean, Richards, Schultz

I’d move WHE back to defence. Dean to play the 3rd tall role.

Crisp to move back to defence, whilst JDG takes some of his midfield minutes and fill the Sullivan rotation.

Richards to play the Sullivan role without the CBA.
I’d be keen to leave Crisp in the midfield and try HH in the Noble role.
He’s fast, can kick well both sides and has high Footy IQ. He could be a revelation as a link player.

Can always switch them over if it doesn’t work.

Last edited:
I’d be keen to leave Crisp in the midfield and try HH in the Noble role.
He’s fast, can kick well both sides and has high Footy IQ. He could be a revelation as a link player.

Can always which them over if it doesn’t work.
We run a system based defence and HH has only trained as a forward. It’s not as simple as just throwing someone from our forward line in to defence and expecting it to work. We can do it with WHE because he’s spent a significant amount of time training in defence (the last 2 preseasons now).

This week looks as a pivotal round, ladder position is as tight as it gets. We can set ourselves up with a win here, need to bring our pressure game all night.
I get the feeling McRae is frustrated and will expect the players to respond.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't mind if Howe has the flexibility to go forward. And have Dean, Moore & Frampton in defence. The Swiss army knife can fill in for Nobes??

Edit : just seen sr36 has said what I said.. 🤪

I don't mind if Howe has the flexibility to go forward. And have Dean, Moore & Frampton in defence. The Swiss army knife can fill in for Nobes??

Edit : just seen sr36 has said what I said.. 🤪
Yeah, WHE is the only one that has the capacity to play Noble's role, so I think in essence that'll happen. They pushed him down back when Noble went off, didnt they?

I think we are missing Cox more than we think. Even though he can be frustrating I always have confidence when he goes into the ruck. It has been a luxury having two players who can have an influence in the ruck most games as opposed to Krueger who is really just hoping he can compete in their.
Cox would have been a great match up for Witts on the weekend and may have been able to minimise his influence and change the result in our favour.
With McStay out it is unfair on Mihocek for him to be the only tall forward. Kreuger can at least help out, whilst he is learning.

Cox doesn’t have much of a clue about playing CHF. With McStay playing he’d be rotated off the bench, with the odd stint deep forward to stretch their tall defenders.

How is a far more experienced AFL footballer than Kreuger.
I know. That's what I was saying. Howe can be moved around because he is so experienced, even though he played forward a long time ago.

The poster I replied to brought up Kreuger playing defence early on at Cats, therefore thought he too could move into defence like Howe can move forward.

I disagreed based on their level of experience. Howe is much more experienced & therefore able to do that.

Thought he tried hard on Saturday in tough conditions. Kicked the 2 goals, 3 marks and 14 disposals, was a decent game by him. Spilled a couple of marks he should have held, but it was wet, so there's an excuse for that....

I must admit if l was going to bring another player up it would be Eyre. He competed well, kicked the 2 goals, took 4 or 5 marks, and looked likely up forward. Plus he can be a switch hitter up forward or in defence....
Maybe let him get a few games under the belt first. KPF in seniors not an easy gig.

Yeah, Kreuger much better as a forward target. Cox better as a ruck. In most games, you'd take the forward major over the ruck major, except against GC and a few others.

I for one would love to see Kreugs cement a role as a key forward at least until McStay comes back

Remove this Banner Ad

Back