Review Round 18, 2022 vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Seemed like we set up to lose or even the stoppages. Instead we smashed them. I’m not sure we prepared or expected that, neither did Melbourne.

Farrell and Mead were supposed to roll back into the centre contest, stretch their defence and leave space for our forwards to lead into.

Houston, Bonner and Burton were supposed to overlap and deliver it over the congestion into the newly created space.

At least that’s what I’m assuming the plan was going by our set ups.

Instead we won it at stoppages, hoofed it long for them to intercept and they then transitioned quickly through our out of place zone. We lacked a small forward defender to apply pressure and backline relies on up the field pressure and team defence - something that falls apart with quick transition. Didn’t help that we didn’t tackle at all.

I don’t think Butters can play midfield long term with his current size.
For now, we’d be better off developing Bergman or Jones as centre square mids, using SPP there more often and trying to get Butters to have a greater impact closer to goal like he did in his first two years.

haha. you are a true imbecile.
better than cyril rioli. haha.
you are an idiot
Despite my fear of being called an imbecile like everyone else, Pickett has managed to kick 26 goals from 16 games in just his third year in the comp. He can’t have been that bad this year.

“Todd Marshall is playing on a flank with the rest of the team told not to kick to him under any circumstances.”

What?
This is what happened - it was straight from the Brilliant Mind of your boyfriend Kenny.

How was the forward play when Drew had a shot 45m out?
yeah, that was curious, drew was unwilling to kick, switched play and 10 odd possies later we were having a kick from further out and a tighter angle.
i dont mind drew but at some stage he needs to become a real man and come out of boaks shadow

yeah, that was curios, drew was unwilling to kick, switched play and 10 odd possies later we were having a kick from further out and a tighter angle.
i dont mind drew but at some stage he needs to become a real man and come out of boaks shadow
I was bloody surprised that he kicked that late goal from the same spot on the ground.

Still flumoxed that we lost. Thought we controlled the game for easily long enough periods, bu didn't take advantage of that dominance.

As some have suggested, perhaps tactically we didn't nail it.

Another word that comes to mind is "workrate". We looked more composed and skillful, but the Dees just scrapped and hustled more, and even though it looked fumbly and bumbly and just real hard work compared to us, they got enough ball into the F50 - then had one bloke who had the individual brilliance to convert multiple times (exhibit 'A' - Kossie).

Butters is 181cm. A smidge under 6 foot. For comparison Jack Viney is 178cm. He probably needs to put on a couple of kgs but talk of him being "too small" for the midfield is poppycock.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not unfair. We finished top 4 last year and got the draw as a result. If we were any good we should be beating these teams with no fuss.
I don’t think so, this year is really unusual in that you can’t rely on the top 4 to win on any given week. Melbourne lost the last 4, Freo got beaten at home by Sydney, Brisbane beaten the week before last. In other years yes you’d expect we should win “without any fuss” eg like we did in 2020 or 2021 but this year’s final series could go to anyone in the 8 (unfortunately we won’t be in the 8 to give it a crack).

Butters is 181cm. A smidge under 6 foot. For comparison Jack Viney is 178cm. He probably needs to put on a couple of kgs but talk of him being "too small" for the midfield is poppycock.
I’m talking now, not forever.

I could be taken down for this, but I think it’s plain wrong a current listed player doing radio commentary. Perhaps trying to make some extra bucks, if your flying up support your teams and club. Just my take on it but I don’t like it. Personally shows his intentions to footy.

I don't like it either, but I guess the club doesn't mind. They're probably happy to have a pro-Port person on the airwaves with no (or very low) risk that they'll voice any kind of dissent or critique of Kenny and Kochie's Kumbaya.

Despite my fear of being called an imbecile like everyone else, Pickett has managed to kick 26 goals from 16 games in just his third year in the comp. He can’t have been that bad this year.
yep, you are right. cyril v kosi is closer than i thought after purveying the stats and i apologize to nemisis after what i thought was an absurd comparison.
makes me wonder why we did not persist with burgoynes oldest son.
i saw him play in an internal trial years ago and thought he was way undersized but a highly skilled, zippy, forward.

I thought that Burton was with Pickett. I think the point that none of us really knows is an issue in itself.

It is indicative of the way that we have built our defence is that their talls are too tall, and their small was too fast for our defence.

Nothing against the players they are who they are.
I thought Burton was with Kozzie as well. Kozzie was on fire today, he’s lucky to have one a game a year like that an unfortunately today was his day. Burton has been fantastic against small damaging forwards all year - today he wasn’t. Perfect storm. Our family has watched Kozzie play for years and within the first 10 minutes we all said “sh*t, Kozzies on today” knowing what was ahead. He looked really happy to be in the Alice and obvs was motivated to put on a show - he was brilliant.

While there was a lot of fumbling from both sides I feel we lost it in our forward line. Mitch looks lost unless he’s making a straight lead for the ball - if the ball is moving deep he almost struggles to get out of his own way and looks confused about what he’s meant to be doing. Two or three times the ball was kicked to a space for him and he just missed the play.

Bergman a star. It’s so good to have him back.

We need a ruckman and Findlayson, Charlie and Todd up forward and Mitch can get some confidence in the SANFL, yes he flies through the air and is an excitement machine but he’s not converting.

I understood the urgency on Bonner coming back, he’s had a great year and has given us good run but he looked like a guy who was first game back from injury.

We’ll get done by Geelong which will put us out of our misery but then probably win against Richmond, Collingwood and the crows so we just fall short to make it just that bit more depressing.

I’ve been a port supporter for over 40 years - this year has felt like on of the toughest.

sorry to offend you. i dont rate boak highly because he disappears in every big game. fails to finish when it counts, eg last showdown. but still gets massive accolades.
he is not a bad player, not a good player either.
you are worshipping a false idol and that is what sickens me.
I don’t ‘worship’ him, and I’m well aware that he has his faults. I’m definitely not ‘offended’ by your post. It’s just that it doesn’t seem to matter what sort of game he has or whether there are others that deserve more criticism, he’s always the one you harp on about. Anyway, we all have our own opinions, it is BF after all.

Its not height when they're talking about Butters being "too small".

Despite being shorter, Viney is also listed as 5kgs heavier.

Kossie Pickett at 171 cm is only 3kgs lighter than Butters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 18, 2022 vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back