Preview Round 18 - Essendoomguys VS Melbourne Demons, MCG, Saturday 13/7/24, 7.40pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

silk

Club Legend
Sep 10, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Round 18 has us returning to the MCG for the third time in as many weeks in another crucial game against a floundering but still dangerous Melbourne team. Thanks to the win over Collingwood, the doom and gloom of the Geelong game already is behind us, a new hope is upon the season.

AD_4nXc0P-uUtNLhaL9ed5jHglpVotGIbWWZGGEJAmqT3CZiiOVqn1HLRj9kunO67ljjRiFbM_j8KQtQLIF8vPYOsbTFNizWd-AjB3OtvVCbeAEpUYPb-LfU76lS69tX8osZL2KPgXWWCCvgU3QY5JJRlHoT0o03

There is no reason we can’t beat Melbourne if we play as well as we did against Collingwood, though we still need to improve our kicking at goal.

The Round Before The Round That Was

This one was fun. It started like any other game; with the opposition kicking 5 and a couple behind to our 5 behinds and a couple of goals, and looked like it was going to be another wasted game where we were unable to get any result from our dominance of the general play. Merrett bounced back after a lacklustre 2nd half last week, and the 3rd time was inspired football where we kept Collingwood goalless after giving them so many easy scores in the first half, whilst kicking 4 goals ourselves.

AD_4nXegJYWf9lcWAQcTVTG3sVJyXuZgRV3yxXBtBBABYCXodI9LulCXJ1NWvjDcUU9vT2AzOQBRxLOk0iH7-JQl52Ycl5DqANRoNdluTyONMghJKUmkAuXlanoXNwLHU3jovfB0HsA9vDOOUKmU2hdzwss3L1Xx

We should have won by a lot more as we led almost every statistic except turnovers. Caldwell was a beast, but I was also seriously impressed by Jones tackling. McGrath ensure Hill was a non-factor and after a poor first quarter, McKay stood up time and time again. Happy to see Shiel play well; we all know he is always been a slow returner from injury, and it seems that letting him get back to his normal game slowly might end up paying dividends.

COLLINGWOOD 5.2 8.4 8.7 12.8 (80)
ESSENDON 2.5 6.8 10.12 13.14 (92)

GOALS
Collingwood: Crisp 3, Howe 2, Harrison 2, Kreuger 2, Mihocek, Pendlebury, Schultz
Essendon: Langford 2, Wright 2, Caddy, Caldwell, Draper, Duursma, Gresham, Guelfi, Jones, Merrett, Stringer

BEST
Collingwood: N. Daicos, Crisp, Sidebottom, Pendlebury
Essendon: Merrett, Caldwell, Draper, Durham, Shiel, McKay

INJURIES
Collingwood: Mihocek (pectoral), Quaynor (leg)
Essendon: Nil

SUBSTITUTES
Collingwood: Ned Long (replaced Charlie Dean in the third quarter)
Essendon: Nick Hind (replaced Nate Caddy in the fourth quarter)

Crowd: 81,711 at the MCG

Will update again once Melbourne has played... maybe.. might forget.

The Last Time We Met

It’s been over a year since we last played Melbourne, Round 5 of the 2023 season, Gather Round - so that odd game where we played Melbourne in Adelaide. Essendon played brilliantly and took home the W to put us at 4-1 for the start of the season and sitting in second place. Yep, Essendon are no strangers to early season surges.. It was an odd game in which our two ruckmen, Draper and Philips, combined for 5 goals.

ESSENDON 5.4 9.10 12.13 15.14 (104)
MELBOURNE 4.2 7.5 7.7 11.11 (77)

GOALS
Essendon: Draper 3, Phillips 2, Martin 2, Langford 2, Hind 2, Stringer, Snelling, Perkins, Jones
Melbourne: Pickett 2, Melksham 2, Fritsch 2, van Rooyen, Petracca, Neal-Bullen, Jordon, Chandler

BEST
Essendon: Parish, Merrett, Draper, McGrath, Shiel, Durham, Langford
Melbourne: Oliver, Petracca, Langdon, Viney, May

INJURIES
Essendon: Jones (ankle)
Melbourne: Spargo (concussion)

SUBSTITUTES
Essendon: Nick Hind (replaced Harry Jones in the third quarter)
Melbourne: James Jordon (replaced Charlie Spargo at half-time)

Crowd: 33,832 at Adelaide Oval

The Selection Table

Possible Outs

Perkins - Had moments, but still not in the form we need from him, would like to see him go back and dominate the twos for a week or two.
Hind - Don’t like the same person to be sub twice, so would rather he play a full VFL game
Cox - If it’s to be wet as is predicted, I think we’ll be too tall and Jones’ form on the wing means Cox is the one to go for for mine

Possible Ins - (Will update after the VFL Game)

My Prediction

AD_4nXcaB5RQ7McSQxxg4bcd3GTTj49ZBYB4rMxv2w0CyIzr9kEpz6HcWpargjV8xXrsOpZ_mTETlOPAiGVcq2ImQ2eRCebiS_MtXrnSzaxrPta9SGXV19V-ZGgGI2CvsuD6v5qxQCyuUC-dMmlMmT_qxMsPgVQ

Essendon by 24.

Last edited:

Will watch Melbourne again this week but their midfield was very impressive last week against Brisbane.
Another team that if we don't lower our eyes going into 50 and change angles we will be kicking it to May and Lever all night.
That being said our defenders against their forward line could be similar if their connection ain't great.

Caldwell/Durham coming up against Viney will be must watch TV.

I'd suggest we may see two rucks, I don't think they would run Draper solo against Gawn.

Could be a really fun game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keys:

1. We can't let Gawn dominate around the ground. They get so much run from his contested marking, they struggle to score when teams shut that down.
2. Control the tempo. Need 80+ uncontested marks, we rarely lose when we play the kick mark style of play.
3. May. Must shut him down. He's their most damaging defender.

For me.

Maybe Hobbs/Setterfield in for Perkins, otherwise unchanged.

Though I find that hard to imagine with Heppell and Goldy been managed.

What I'd like to see:

In: Hobbs, Roberts Out: Perkins, Cox

What I expect to see:

In: Heppell, Goldstein Out: Caddy, Hind

Hope minimal changes. 8 day break so everyone that played last night can back up. Early thoughts;-

OUT: Perkins
IN: Setterfield

Lav McKay Redman
Martin Ridley McGrath
Cox Durham Duursma
Guelfi Stringer Gresham
Caddy 2MP Langford

Draper Caldwell Merrett

Bench: Setterfield Shiel Hind Jones
SUB: Kelly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back