Unofficial Preview Round 18 vs. Geelong, MCG, 7:40pm Friday 12/07

Remove this Banner Ad

Can’t read the play and lacks the confidence to commit. Hence, he looks slow.
I noticed it, way back against Richmond in the preseason practice match.
He will only get “quicker” with more exposure and confidence.
The inability of many our VFL players to “step up” when they go to AFL is very troubling.
I think most of our VFL players have stepped up well. Harvey Harrison, Sullivan until last week, Joe Richards and last night Ned Long all showed they can play at this level. Reef is another player I still have faith in. That's a fair proportion of those we have tried.

Out: Checkers, IQ, Dean
In: McStay, Noble, Eyre

Not a fan of Reef, Macrae or AJ (none of them hard enough to play the roles we need them to nail down)

I didn't realise how important Americano Mason was to our structure before the last two games. Hurry up and get back on the park, Big Fella!

Reef or AJ to come in as a stop gap for Mihocek until McStay returns sounds good in theory, but they didn't go that way when Checkers was out with a hammy.

There's no way it's "play Macrae and see if he has a future" stage yet. We are trying to break even until we get McStay, Elliott and Mitchell back into the line-up. We're trying to qualify for finals with some momentum.

Out: Checkers, IQ, Dean
In: McStay, Noble, Eyre

Not a fan of Reef, Macrae or AJ (none of them hard enough to play the roles we need them to nail down)

I didn't realise how important Americano Mason was to our structure before the last two games. Hurry up and get back on the park, Big Fella!
It would be a big mistake to rush Dan in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Damien Monkhurst
If I may further elaborate.
Monkhurst debuted at 18 years and at 20 was a premiership ruckman. He took on the triple prong of Somerville/Salmon/Madden (all gun rucks, all excellent key forwards).
He also played in an era where rucks steamed in and launched like missiles at eachother. It was the peak era of ruckmen. They were the team’s musclemen and cruised around the ground, pulling in 10+ marks (most contested) every game. That was the expectation in those days.
…. You don’t need to that good, these days, to ruck…

If I may further elaborate.
Monkhurst debuted at 18 years and at 20 was a premiership ruckman. He took on the triple prong of Somerville/Salmon/Madden (all gun rucks, all excellent key forwards).
He also played in an era where rucks steamed in and launched like missiles at eachother. It was the peak era of ruckmen. They were the team’s musclemen and cruised around the ground, pulling in 10+ marks (most contested) every game. That was the expectation in those days.
…. You don’t need to that good, these days, to ruck…

Monkey was a beast of a big man who could compete physically from day 1. Smit is an inexperienced string. That’s the kind of “Hail Mary” example I was asking after.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Quaynor must be dropped, he is way to heavy now and can't cover the ground

This 100%.

and Bobby needs to stop trying to take MOTY. Let the big boys fly and stay on the ground. Even if he doesn't crumb the ball, he needs to be on the ground applying pressure.

The ball is rebounding way too quickly from I50.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back