Unofficial Preview Round 18 vs. Geelong, MCG, 7:40pm Friday 12/07

Remove this Banner Ad

Think we definitely should play Frampton in the ruck. Howe has to go to defence where we need him. The loss of Checkers is a huge blow. McInnes has to come in for Checkers. If Josh Eyre plays well tomorrow, I would bring him into the forward line.
Kreuger can supply back up ruck assistance to Frampton. De Konig for Geelong is not a massive brute, so Frampton will be able to offer significant resistance, and has played the role before.
No experimenting with Moore in the ruck. I back Moore to find a way to recalibrate himself in defence. As many others have observed, we are a system based team. You can't take out one of the key elements of a system and play him suddenly in an unfamilier role and expect a great outcome.
We need Long to be selected in the 22, and give him the challenge of his short career: stand in the way of Dangerfield.
The main issue is pressure. Do our players have the desire/mindset to ramp up the pressure to the intensity required for us to stand a chance? Our pressure stats over the last few weeks have been down, including those of our experienced, battlehardened players. For whatever reasons, some of our experienced players are not giving the same level of effort as last year.

Think we definitely should play Frampton in the ruck. Howe has to go to defence where we need him. The loss of Checkers is a huge blow. McInnes has to come in for Checkers. If Josh Eyre plays well tomorrow, I would bring him into the forward line.
Kreuger can supply back up ruck assistance to Frampton. De Konig for Geelong is not a massive brute, so Frampton will be able to offer significant resistance, and has played the role before.
No experimenting with Moore in the ruck. I back Moore to find a way to recalibrate himself in defence. As many others have observed, we are a system based team. You can't take out one of the key elements of a system and play him suddenly in an unfamilier role and expect a great outcome.
We need Long to be selected in the 22, and give him the challenge of his short career: stand in the way of Dangerfield.
The main issue is pressure. Do our players have the desire/mindset to ramp up the pressure to the intensity required for us to stand a chance? Our pressure stats over the last few weeks have been down, including those of our experienced, battlehardened players. For whatever reasons, some of our experienced players are not giving the same level of effort as last year.
Not bad lover, not bad at all

Interesting to watch Fly's presser. He says that lack of connection actually looks like lack of effort. He explained that if the team is unpredictable to each other, then this is a break and energy and effort, simply because players aren't sure which way to go, or where the ball will be directed next etc. Essendon played keepings off with many uncontested marks, and if we weren't playing the predictable way to each other, then we simply weren't in a position to tackle. That again looks like lack of pressure.
Fly's take is that we will need to reemphasize the system in all our training drills to each other this week so that the team acts in sync, and therefore efficiently, which translates into being in the right spot at the right time and applying pressure. I am looking forward to seeing what we produce next week, without feeling so tense. I guess my expectations for this year have been greatly lowered by the injury crisis, so I feel more like "let's just see where the ride takes us now, without worrying so much about the destination.

Howe
Sidebottom
Cox
Miocheck(Injury Prone)
What the heck.

Sidebottom played well, probably 1 of 3 players for Pies who didn't play bad against Bombers.

Cox hasn't been playing and it shows.... Pies structure looks awful. And because he's so tall, he can play another 3 years easily since he will always demand a tall defender to cover him regardless if he's slow.

Mihocek is a hit and miss this season, more misses since he's been injured but I think he needs to start resting every 3rd week and allow someone like Reef to get games in.

Interesting to watch Fly's presser. He says that lack of connection actually looks like lack of effort. He explained that if the team is unpredictable to each other, then this is a break and energy and effort, simply because players aren't sure which way to go, or where the ball will be directed next etc. Essendon played keepings off with many uncontested marks, and if we weren't playing the predictable way to each other, then we simply weren't in a position to tackle. That again looks like lack of pressure.
Fly's take is that we will need to reemphasize the system in all our training drills to each other this week so that the team acts in sync, and therefore efficiently, which translates into being in the right spot at the right time and applying pressure. I am looking forward to seeing what we produce next week, without feeling so tense. I guess my expectations for this year have been greatly lowered by the injury crisis, so I feel more like "let's just see where the ride takes us now, without worrying so much about the destination.
Yup.

An example I saw was with Dean going after an Essendon player when 2 Magpies were already running to the Essendon player, because Dean left his spot, the Essendon player just got the ball the free Essendon player for a goal. Just poir

With 7 games left for the season and the need for at least 4 wins to make finals (5-8) this game vs cats is a must win.
Games vs Sydney (SCG) and Blues, Lions are going to be tough.
Must win vs Cats, Hawks, Tigers & Demons. None of those are easy games either.
None of those are easy. Heck even Richmond will give us a run for our money on the G

Lose next week and it gets harder

Any danger Collingwood can beat Geelong who we destroyed just two weeks ago?

Pardon the pun 😎
Holy sh1t!!!!!!

Imagine coming on to an oppo board and giving them stick about this season.
From someone from a club with 30 years on pain!
That alone is horrendous.

Yet you then go and give up a 6+ goal lead.

Like holy fck that’s embarrassing.

Irrespective of where you finish this year, you have this terrific call on your record!!

Here is Benny’s post from the main board. Standard Carlton BS. I swear they are born from eggs.

“Checks ladder

Yep still 2nd

Great learning lesson, stings but we will be better from it.. I wouldn’t wanna be playing the blues next week 💪
Can’t wait for Doggies to beat them next week at Marvel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm probably clutching at straws here but I remember this time last season we went through increased training loads and looked very flat vs blues and Hawks. But by finals eve we were tip top. I hope the same thing is happening.

I'm probably clutching at straws here but I remember this time last season we went through increased training loads and looked very flat vs blues and Hawks. But by finals eve we were tip top. I hope the same thing is happening.
Unfortunately, it's not.
One would say they havent been training enough.

We only went through increased training loads last year because we had already sewn up finals and were far ahead of everyone else.
That's not the case this year.

Unfortunately, it's not.
One would say they havent been training enough.

We only went through increased training loads last year because we had already sewn up finals and were far ahead of everyone else.
That's not the case this year.
Do you think Fly might work them extra hard on the track this week?

That was Rd20 and 21.

Bit early to be increasing training loads coming off the bye.

Just a bit off our best atm.

Hopefully Cameron and Quaynor will play.

Mihocek is gone for the season, so I think McInnes replacing him makes the most sense. Need to get games into him and give him some continuity now for the sake of his development.

Given the recent form, I think Geelong will be favourites now. Of course we're a chance if we play high pressure, high octane football on a consistent basis but we haven't seen it since King's Birthday.

I wonder if the Blues would be good enough and could maintain their focus with Curnow and McKay both missing.

Ours mightn't be as good but it's the situation we now find ourselves in.

Now, where's my pins and voodoo dolls.

And Weitering, and Cripps, and Williams, and Cincotta, and Saad, and TDK or Pitonet….

That’s effectively Murphy, Mitchell, Elliott, McCreery, Noble, and Cox.

Yeah we did get away with it last year. I think sides have worked out how we play now, which is understandable, which makes it harder.
Cant just rely on pressure, because when that drops, you need to go back to the basics - and the basics failed us.

I’m not too sure teams have yet worked out how to stop us when we get momentum. It’s one thing knowing what we do, another to stop it. Last 2 weeks cloud the assessment of that but need to be weighed against in-game injuries in both. Would we have allowed GCS to regain the lead if Maynard and Noble weren’t injured? Would we have run over Essendon if Checkers and Quaynor weren’t injured, and Cameron playing sore?

You can see the lack of connection. Far too many times you see 2 Pies players fighting for the same footy. Last year 1 player would grab that footy and feed it on to the other. Now we invite pressure.

Only a Carlton loss today could cheer me up
Be cheered!
Happy Lets Go GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Remove this Banner Ad

Back