Review Round 19, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. Geelong

Who were your five best players against Geelong?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Zorko gets hit late and high in centre of ground of the ground with about ten minutes to go in the match. He still took the mark but it should have been a 50 metre penalty. He gets up plays on and delivers the ball perfectly into the forward line. It is probably his last season but he is easily in our best 23. I am expecting him to be a match winner come September

I don’t think you’re remembering that play accurately

Adam Simpson said we had the best organised defence in the competition and he was right. Love watching Lester not only playing his role perfectly, but out there directing traffic and supporting the decision making of his team mates. I have said it before, but Lester will make a great coach.
just not for Lions in the near future. Will definitely get an extension for another year, and then after that, IF he has any desire to coach should leave Lions and do an apprenticeship at a strong Melb club. Perhaps within a decade he is back in some coaching capacity

Callum Ah Chee you’re a star. Ryan Lester the type of guy you would feel comfortable introducing to your parents.

Zorko gets hit late and high in centre of ground of the ground with about ten minutes to go in the match. He still took the mark but it should have been a 50 metre penalty. He gets up plays on and delivers the ball perfectly into the forward line. It is probably his last season but he is easily in our best 23. I am expecting him to be a match winner come September
Proven X factor player in our side for our side

Just finished watching the last 10 minutes for the 2nd time, we were actually pretty impressive the way we handled that time, Ah Chee, McKenna, Payne, Fletcher and Dunkley all had some very good vital moments in that time, Big O also some very impressive contested ground ball stuff.

Very solid win against bloody good opposition.

Hipwood was back quite early but didn’t really seem like his old self until the season after he returned. It’s a 10 month recovery and then another half season before things are back to normal.

Such a s**t injury.

Hipwood is also a literal twig though, Ashcroft is bulky enough + will probably be diligent enough in his rehab to build muscles around the knee which helps return to full mobility more quickly

Hipwood is also a literal twig though, Ashcroft is bulky enough + will probably be diligent enough in his rehab to build muscles around the knee which helps return to full mobility more quickly

Hipwood is jacked mate. Don’t let the fox footy distortion fields sway your opinion

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a busy weekend so finally got home to be able to watch the replay. Was a bit bitter-sweet in knowing what would happen to Ashcroft.

Otherwise that was a good performance against the reigning premiers and pushing them to the edge of even making finals.

Loved what Ah Chee did. Great to see him get reward after a tough year. Harris and Payne are such a great combo in shutting down 2 of the best forwards in the comp as well

Daniher is a complete mystery to me.

He has the reputation as a selfish player yet when he got presented with 2 sodas wanted to give it off.

I've got no idea what he's going to do so I guess nor do the opposition.

He's also become remarkably consistent . On track for an AA.
The thing that irks me is that my view Joe has been amazing this year and I think two weeks ago surpassed his goal tally of last year but better than that is his influence around the ground which has gone ups serious level from previous years.

All that being said and I heard said on the footy show is that the AA selectors will be influenced by raw numbers and already Curnow has 19 goals against Eagles. The point was made that the Coleman and likely AA selection is being negatively swayed by teams getting multiple hits against the likes of Eagles and North with double ups. I mean Melbourne has double up against both, same as Saints who will likely make the 8 on account of that alone, luxuries other teams and players aren’t afforded.

You think Ashcroft out is as big as making it terminal re our flag chances?
Sadly I do, such has been his impact. I mean you just can’t replace that. You should be able to expect Cam to fill the void and so even better yet he has no where the influence or impact that Will has in his 18 games that Cam does 100 plus which says a lot.

Makes the win even better. We are still in with a big chance IMO. Daniher holding a premiership cup with elicit on of the biggest melts on BigFooty.
Stay on Bigfooty celebrating the win vs posting the pic on the Don's board and getting banned. Choices choices ... ;)

If Will didn't get injured and Bailey was fit, absolutely. At this stage I feel he's better off as a sub and equally think we're better off being more proactive using our subs.
While I agree, the weekend did show the reasoning of waiting until the last 10 mins to use the sub. We had a full bench late in the game after Ashcroft came off. Whether holding out 'just in case' is the right option or not, I don't know.

While I agree, the weekend did show the reasoning of waiting until the last 10 mins to use the sub. We had a full bench late in the game after Ashcroft came off. Whether holding out 'just in case' is the right option or not, I don't know.

Yeah I get why you would but equally, I think there's enough evidence to show subs can have an impact when given time. If Lohmann got a quarter and a half instead of ten mins, we'd have had a high pressure player running full tilt at the same time Geelong were wrestling momentum back.

The thing that irks me is that my view Joe has been amazing this year and I think two weeks ago surpassed his goal tally of last year but better than that is his influence around the ground which has gone ups serious level from previous years.

All that being said and I heard said on the footy show is that the AA selectors will be influenced by raw numbers and already Curnow has 19 goals against Eagles. The point was made that the Coleman and likely AA selection is being negatively swayed by teams getting multiple hits against the likes of Eagles and North with double ups. I mean Melbourne has double up against both, same as Saints who will likely make the 8 on account of that alone, luxuries other teams and players aren’t afforded.
I've been really impressed at his ability to play as a fourth on baller when he is in the ruck. His ruckwork isn't great and he sometimes doesn't even bother competing but he offers a lot around the ground and can break for a clearance as well as any mid IMO.

Yeah I get why you would but equally, I think there's enough evidence to show subs can have an impact when given time. If Lohmann got a quarter and a half instead of ten mins, we'd have had a high pressure player running full tilt at the same time Geelong were wrestling momentum back.
I completely agree. I remember as a 12 year old playing a game with the 14s because we had a bye and I wanted to play that weekend. I got left off for 3 quarters. At 3/4 time coach put me in the middle and said you have 1 quarter, the only time you're allowed to stop running is when there is a ball up. The quarter was good enough that the other coach asked our coach who I was and why he only let me play for a quarter. No reason why instructions couldn't or shouldn't be similar to our sub. You have 30 mins and can come off once during for a quick spell during the quarter. If the ball is in play you better be running hard.

The usual weird set of coaches votes for a geelong game:

Brisbane Lions
vs
Geelong Cats
VOTES
PLAYER (CLUB)

Tom Stewart (GEEL)
Callum Ah Chee (BL)
Josh Dunkley (BL)
Hugh McCluggage (BL)
Lachie Neale (BL)
Harris Andrews (BL)