Preview Round 2, 2019 - North Melbourne vs. Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
But we actually did suck. They had a great year and one bad game in the opening round changes everything. They're far from poor.
No Waite (retired), no Majak (injured), no Wright (injured), no Wood (out of form), no Anderson (injured), no Ahern (out of favour), no Jacobs (injured). Not sure they are such a good side without that lot especially given they have brought in some very outside types in Polec, Hall and Pittard and a discarded ruckman in Campbell.

Great year? They finished ninth, look to be on the slide from the outside looking in as well. You're not wrong they are a defeatist supporter group though.
Considering where they came from in 2017, last year was very much a good year for North. They were in the hunt for finals right up to the last round.

At the beginning of last year, pretty much every pundit had North as a bottom 4 team.

No Waite (retired), no Majak (injured), no Wright (injured), no Wood (out of form), no Anderson (injured), no Ahern (out of favour), no Jacobs (injured). Not sure they are such a good side without that lot especially given they have brought in some very outside types in Polec, Hall and Pittard and a discarded ruckman in Campbell.

And the mysterious Tyson; Ryan Bastinac without the talent.

Still, we lost games to worse teams last year. I hope we've turned the corner but I suspect we've got a ways to go before we consistently play our best.

I am confident that we can win this game but I also would not be surprised if we lost. Our A game is on par with a top eight side. If we are 10% off we drop back considerably. However, I back Fagan and his process to always remain competitive in the contest. If our midfield pressure game is on point we will win. If the zone falters in the midfield then Brown will kick a bag. Fingers crossed that Matheison, McClugs, Berry can maintain their new elevated form.

And the mysterious Tyson; Ryan Bastinac without the talent.

Still, we lost games to worse teams last year. I hope we've turned the corner but I suspect we've got a ways to go before we consistently play our best.
My comment was less about our chances of winning and more about the suggestion that North are far from a poor side. I think this lineup is pretty average. Whether we can beat them is another story.

This game will tell us a lot about us this year ... unless of course a set of witches hats come over to Marvel painted in blue and white stripes (or unless unless we play over the top of them so thoroughly that they *look* like witches hats with blue and white stripes painted on them ... which would be delightful!)

We're gonna cream North. Might take a quarter or two, but it'll happen. Most worry I have is not getting injuries on that track.

Another 4 points, no injuries going into Round 3 = happiness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Macmillan is usually North's loose man in defence. Racks up possessions (37 last week in a losing side). We will need to play him closer than teams have been doing, possibly play Linc on him. Has the necessary chasing and tackling pressure.
Macmillian had an absolute shocker last week though. Not many of those 37 touches were productive, he turned it over a lot. North supporters were calling for him to be dropped this week so I wouldn't worry too much about him.

I feel strangely pessimistic about this game.

Prove me wrong Lions.

Understandable luthor, given our last decade or so. That's ok though mate, I got enough enthusiasm to cover for you - it's what team mates do :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back