Unofficial Preview Round 2, 2023: Swans v Hawks, SCG 1:10pm March 26th

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zero X factor in our forward line today.
Brockman brings that, need to get games into him.
Not sure Moore plays that poorly again. Our tall stocks are the worst in the competition, I wouldn’t mind seeing the mosquito fleet next week on a small ground
Brockman in
Kosi out
Our smalls are ineffectual unless we have someone who can bring the ball to ground level.
Otherwise you get the outcome we got today where the opposition defenders just zone off and get easy intercept possessions

Who played well at Box Hill?

No point making changes after rd 1, albeit disgusting display, unless someone's pushed their case at Box Hill today.

I agree with many, Reeves and Meek doesn't look like it will work, but if Sam's committed to exploring this then you just have to give it more time.

Impey out for scrimshaw
Scrim may have gone backwards, but you know he will go when it's his time to go.
Is also a weapon from within 60, which appears to be a directive to go for goal now

Lynch for kozi.
3 rucks, what is this shenanigans? It's probably not a long term thing, but at least in the short term it will work. He is a better mark than kozi, is just as lumbersome, and actually reads the play

Nash into the starting 22. Maybe it was the fact he wanted to put his best foot forward, but he made essendon accountable when he came on

Frost has his haters, but all defenders struggle without help, it isn't the 80s

Our rucks are a worry TBH.

I was expecting a bit more from Meeks than what he has shown so far (early days of course). Reeves as you say can’t impact on general play at all.

I watched Gawn dominate last night and thought it’s unrealistic to expect that level of performance but if we could get the next rung down (say a prime Nankvervis) that would be good. But Reeves and Meeks are miles away from giving us a Nank the Tank kind of impact.

Meek turning into a Nank level ruckman would be a great result for us.

I have no faith in Reeves becoming a contributor around the ground though, he just isn't mobile enough nor is he strong enough in the air.

Our rucks are a worry TBH.

I was expecting a bit more from Meeks than what he has shown so far (early days of course). Reeves as you say can’t impact on general play at all.

I watched Gawn dominate last night and thought it’s unrealistic to expect that level of performance but if we could get the next rung down (say a prime Nankvervis) that would be good. But Reeves and Meeks are miles away from giving us a Nank the Tank kind of impact.
Agree
Our rucks play too nice

Is swapping Kosi for Ramma asking for trouble? Mitchell really didn't like the connection with the forwards and pulling Kosi out of the game was part of his attempt at helping that. Sounds like Ramsden was a more reliable target than Serong in the Box Hill scratch match. You'd have to expect he would be bullied if he came in as the main target.

Pressure was awful which might help Butler make his case.

And I'm still not a Bramble believer. Morrison should be back I think?

In: Morrison, Ramsden
Out: Bramble, Koschitzke

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is swapping Kosi for Ramma asking for trouble? Mitchell really didn't like the connection with the forwards and pulling Kosi out of the game was part of his attempt at helping that. Sounds like Ramsden was a more reliable target than Serong in the Box Hill scratch match. You'd have to expect he would be bullied if he came in as the main target.

Pressure was awful which might help Butler make his case.

And I'm still not a Bramble believer. Morrison should be back I think?
Anyone is better than kosi.
He has had one good game at senior level. Every other time he spills simple marks. It was ok when there was crumbing players near him, but the restructure of the team means those players aren't near the contest

Box hill are playing on Sunday at 10am in Sydney so there may be a few “late” changes to the AFL squad if needed.

Based on today’s performance, we may need more than 2 changes. I think up to 3 or 4 are needed to expose guys and to avoid losing the confidence of other players.

My candidates to play VFL are Reeves, Bramble and Kosi. Chad may be an omission anyway.

Finn may be needed to tag Gulden or Warner.

Lynch to replace Kosi/Reeves, brockman/butler to replace Chad, Scrim to replace Bramble and a Smokey- Rama to debut. Alternatively Day to play off half back and a midfielder like Stephens or Morrison comes in.

I don’t think we rush into many changes. Nash should start, he gave plenty when he came on. Not sure for who - individually I thought the mids were ok but collectively we were below par, says a lot really!

Kosi and Greene didn’t give much fwd but i think they are the best we have for now.

This is our best 22 or close to it, just need more from them.

Reeves wasn’t great in practice games I reckon we have to play Ramsden who can ruck 10% or so and have Meek main ruck. Bring in Morrison maybe. Anyone know how Weddle went?

He has hit outs to advantage, Meek didn’t and
Is too slow.
What happened to our rucks changing forward?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Meek is much faster and more mobile than Reeves.

Meek had 6 marks, whilst Reeves had 1 for the entire game.

Reeves also only had 4 pressure acts for the game, despite attending 34 ruck contests (meaning he was around the ball).

Meanwhile Meek had 11, though only attended 30 ruck contests.

The only players with fewer pressure acts was BZT, a KPD, and the ball hardly went down his end of the ground.

Last edited:
Just whilst we are on rucks... I watched them closely after HT. Many times I saw them standing still at HF with space in front putting a half arsed arm up in the air. Neither were presenting or demanding the ball up the line so we had to switch which ended up going knowhere.

it frustrated me no end.

Ned has got to show some intent around the ground.

just watched the second qtr back. forward entry after entry slaughtered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back