Unofficial Preview Round 2, 2023: Swans v Hawks, SCG 1:10pm March 26th

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now, with Mitch Lewis out, we have Breust, and we have Dylan Moore who didn't hit the scoreboard today, and we have...

Who?

Breust kicked three goals today.

Two of our defenders (Jiath and Hardwick) kicked three goals between them.

Greene, Amon, and Wingard (before getting injured) kicked one apiece.

I saw lots of quick turnovers up forward because our forwards didn't apply enough pressure.

Meanwhile, the rest of our forwards didn't hit the scoreboard.

At this stage, we need someone with experience up forward to fill the role that Gunston used to play, because right now our young forwards aren't up to the task.

Sic can play forward, and right now our forward line needs him more than the back line.

Sicily was the only defender who really did his job today. Without him there they would have flogged us by another five goals.

Moving Sicily is simply robbing Peter to pay Paul. We can't afford to do that.

* Actually, Blanck had a few good moments too in fairness.

Kozzi and Bramble should not play until the earn their spot after that effort, Ramsden and Scrimshaw straight in

Morrison has to play for structure, Same with Nash for support, Reeves is worth a roast before he is dropped. For all our bluster talked about across pre season we just looked soft.

Most frustrating part of this year will be complaining about having fringe players in our leadership group which means they play each week over balanced team selection

In saying that we were very poor defensively so we need some pace and pressure around the ball or a few players need a roast so they do

Right now, with Mitch Lewis out, we have Breust, and we have Dylan Moore who didn't hit the scoreboard today, and we have...

Who?

Breust kicked three goals today.

Two of our defenders (Jiath and Hardwick) kicked three goals between them.

Greene, Amon, and Wingard (before getting injured) kicked one apiece.

I saw lots of quick turnovers up forward because our forwards didn't apply enough pressure.

Meanwhile, the rest of our forwards didn't hit the scoreboard.

At this stage, we need someone with experience up forward to fill the role that Gunston used to play, because right now our young forwards aren't up to the task.

Sic can play forward, and right now our forward line needs him more than the back line.
We need connection.

Not sure where you watched the game from today, but we had multiple and I mean multiple more opportunities to score today but we kicked to the defenders side, we held the lead back instead of pushing to hit the space for the kicker, we mis-kicked to a lead, we choose the wrong option…. We made a meal of plenty of forward forays today, and I think that with so many of our players being quite new to each other it will take a little bit of time.

In particular, it may take time for others to work out what Ferg does and when he’s going to double back. He’s our most constant leading and moving target. If our mids build a connection with him, the rest will come.

Bramble and Impey on thin ice based on today. Kosi too obviously, just wonder if he's too important structurally to drop with no real obvious replacement in the 2's.

How are people putting bramble yet giving impey a pass?
Impey is a senior player with years experience, yet didn't want to get his hands dirty.
He's the type that sets the tone, and was terrible. It's been 3 years since he's preformed, and should be first cut
He has slowly gotten worse and worse. Was our frickin best player before that knee injury. This one shits me, we need him back to his best.

Not that I think either will get dropped, but Impey had a better game than CJ. Weird seeing people pot Impey when he had almost the exact same stats but didn’t fall over constantly to hand Essendon goals.

The swans carved up the suns. Their transition play is far better than the dons and are a quality aide.

All I want is some effort, defensive pressure and competitiveness in the contest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yea, wouldn't be against CJ getting the tap on the shoulder tbh . It's like we have two defenders ( Sicily/ blanck) and the rest don't defend, just run around without any pressure put on Oppo frwds! We need ' Tough' S.O.B's who are defenders first and attackers second. Too flakey in the back half. It's not just about the disappointment of yesterday's game either, we've looked like this for a while now. There just seems a bit of something missing from our backline , a more steady and balanced bunch then the running fleet we've been going with.

How are people putting bramble yet giving impey a pass?
Impey is a senior player with years experience, yet didn't want to get his hands dirty.
He's the type that sets the tone, and was terrible. It's been 3 years since he's preformed, and should be first cut
This times I trillion.

I love Jarman as much as any Hawk supporter but its time he became a mentor to the Box Hill boys, sure he takes off for a run or two in every game but he usually ends up running into trouble or turns the ball over. How he gets a game in front of Scrimmers is beyond me.
Morrison in for Bramble is a no brainer and I think it's time the coaching staff tried to turn Kosi into a CHB and see how it goes otherwise its Box Hill or delisting, he simply has no idea about forward running patterns or leads.
I would be in the GCS ear about how good Wingard would be for them and try to get something for him at years end, my body is more resilient than his and that's saying something.
I am usually a lot calmer than this after a Hawks game, but Its monday and I am at work and in a shitty mood.

Last edited:
Not that I think either will get dropped, but Impey had a better game than CJ. Weird seeing people pot Impey when he had almost the exact same stats but didn’t fall over constantly to hand Essendon goals.
Yep exactly. CJ was a liability today, sure he kicked a goal, but defensively he was atrocious and in all honesty he has been quite average defensively for a long time. He just makes up for it with his run but he was exposed badly today.

I am just unsure how our defenders were so bad considering that has been our strongest line for a while now.

On Impey, I actually don't know why we don't play him as a forward. He's a natural small pressure forward and we have enough running backs that he isn't even needed back there.
If Wingard is again out then that might be worth a try because otherwise I think Jarman should be put out to pasture at the Box Hill Hawks and mentor the kids.

Having said that I would have Butler or Brockman in as a replacement for Chad in a heartbeat, over Jarman.

IMG_0970.jpg Photo I took of Scrimshaw, level 2 Ponsford at the game yesterday.

The compression bandage explains why he was omitted.

Will be interested to see if it's mentioned in the injury report this week.

Doubtful he plays against Sydney

View attachment 1634489Photo I took of Scrimshaw, level 2 Ponsford at the game yesterday.

Has to be the only reason Impey and Bramble get a game before him.

Also if I was the coach I would be pumping more games into DGB before Frosty we know what we are going to get with Frosty, but we need to pump some games into DGB because we need to know if he is going to be the player we all hope for.

that half-back line performed pretty poorly, but not really sure who we've got that's like-for-like for Bramble/CJ/Impey if we were to drop one. Scrim will probably be back soon but I don't think he takes one of those spots. I think you probably drop one to sub instead, maybe Bramble? None were particularly inspiring though (barring CJ's goal)

otherwise, there's a chance we give Reeves or Meek a week off against Sydney who essentially doesn't play a ruckman. Maybe we play Lynch as a forward?

our connection between mid/fwd was unsurprisingly putrid, which is why Harry must play if he's available

Nash should probably be in the 22, our midfield is super young and developing and these players typically suck at defence. I also think Nash opens the game up a bit more for Jai who id prefer is playing looser and a bit more outside

honestly, if Harry doesnt get up id probably just go

IN: Nash (from sub), Lynch
OUT: Reeves
Sub: Bramble

and re-assess from there. Totally agree we shouldn't be overreacting to one belting after 4 months of prep. Stick to the plan and see how we improve both at executing it and as our young players evolve throughout the year.

View attachment 1634489Photo I took of Scrimshaw, level 2 Ponsford at the game yesterday.

But he played for Box Hill didn't he? And quite poorly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back