AFLW Round 2 - 2024 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

There is a bit of pseudo-science to it as correlation does not equal causation, and it isn't like they can make someone bow-legged to test the theory.

Plenty of information (from both reliable and unreliable sources) with a quick google search
I couldn't find much tbh. Are you thinking perhaps of Q-angle? That's the one that's different between men and women and has been attributed as a cause of increased ACL injuries.
Bowleggedness is a medical condition/deformity that affects ~1% of the population per a quick search, seems unlikely to affect many of the women.

What's annoying about the ACL concern trolling (this is not aimed at you Mitchell btw) is this underlying assumption that one arbitrary injury rate (the current male one) is fine and acceptable, but any increase on any particular limb = intolerable. And then the conclusion, always waiting to pop out, that women shouldn't play this/that/any sport, as if they aren't independent agents who can decide for themselves.

At the end of the day, ACL injuries are painful and annoying for athletes because the recovery is so long, but they don't risk your ability to later lead a full, satisfying life outside of sport - unlike head and spinal injuries. It will be great to continue lowering the rate of ACL injuries, but I don't feel uncomfortable with people choosing to take that risk now.

Last edited:
The Western Bulldogs are set to make their long-awaited return to the MCG...

gettyimages-533315328-2048x2048.jpg

...oops, silly me, that's a Melbourne footballer! Hang on, here's a Bulldog at the MCG:

gettyimages-474579686-1024x1024.jpg

But in all sincerity, whenever AFLW makes a rare appearance at this famous coliseum, I like to think of how many players will be getting the chance to compete on the hallowed turf for the first time.

In terms of current Dogs, I think just 3 have played there before: Ellie Blackburn (2013, 2015 and 2016 exhibition for Melbourne), Deanna Berry (2016 U18 for Vic Metro) and Ellie Gavalas (2022 S7 AFLW for North Melbourne).

With regards to the present Port list: Angela Foley (2016 exhibition for Melbourne), Jasmin Stewart (2016 U18 for WA) and Indy Tahau (2022 S6 AFLW for Brisbane) have played there before. Tahau is inactive though, and Stewart was only named an emergency last week.
Lauren Arnell took it to another level in her mid-week presser, mentioning 1 player in the Port squad had played cricket there!

That'd be Kirsty Lamb of course (though one might've also guessed Katelyn Pope). Won't be the 1st player to do the AFLW-WBBL MCG double, though. Certainly behind Emma Kearney, but also after Jess Duffin and Nat Plane if you wanna count exhibition and pre-season matches.

Anyway, how about that 4.30pm start--32 minutes earlier than the Melb-NM game in 2022. Game will finish by about 6.20pm. Even for a 90k blockbuster, practically nobody is getting to the ground that early on a Friday night usually. Maybe tonight will be different. I juuust have a feeling that the "play double-headers with the men" brigade could not give a crap, either way.

Lauren Arnell took it to another level in her mid-week presser, mentioning 1 player in the Port squad had played cricket there!

That'd be Kirsty Lamb of course (though one might've also guessed Katelyn Pope). Won't be the 1st player to do the AFLW-WBBL MCG double, though. Certainly behind Emma Kearney, but also after Jess Duffin and Nat Plane if you wanna count exhibition and pre-season matches.

Anyway, how about that 4.30pm start--32 minutes earlier than the Melb-NM game in 2022. Game will finish by about 6.20pm. Even for a 90k blockbuster, practically nobody is getting to the ground that early on a Friday night usually. Maybe tonight will be different. I juuust have a feeling that the "play double-headers with the men" brigade could not give a crap, either way.
Entry is just for those that have men's finals tickets? That'll restrict things too.

Entry is just for those that have men's finals tickets? That'll restrict things too.
Nah, that's one change from last time which they got right. People who already had tickets for Whitten Oval were hooked up with reallocated MCG/men's final tickets that were initially reserved for NAB.

Much better quarter by the Dogs compared to last week, says Daniel Harford. But if you cast your minds back to the dull 1st half at Manuka (wherein WB controlled the contest for long patches for little score), it was pretty much the same as the 1st quarter here today.

Loving the broadcast. The cuts to the crowd (12 guys with their backs to the play), and the main camera position (not even on centre wing... for a game at the MCG). Superb.

Am I just being harsh on Elle Bennetts, or could she have made more of an effort to get hands on the first two Port goals?

I think there's about 19 WB players out there who could've made more of an effort in every moment of that half. And the same is probably true for about 16 Port players.

HT stats: Berry 3 touches, Weston-Turner 1 touch. Wilcox and Fitzgerald 4 each. They're either really bad players or the coach's tactics suck.

Bulldogs last 4 quarters: 0.3.3 vs 12.9.81.

Unless they play Weston-Turner further up the ground she isn't going to get more than 1 or 2 touches. The ball just hasn't been down her end much.

Lots of poor skills on display unfortunately by the Dogs - I only tuned it from early in the 2nd but I saw relatively good players like Pritchard shank kicks and others drop marks and take far too much time before disposing of the ball before being run down or tackled.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Issy Grant needs to get some longstops in...that's like 5 times I've seen her slip over and fall down...

Just tuned in. Thought Dogs would be better. !
Why? They made 1 change from last week when they got smashed, and have so many youngsters still. It's going to be long season and we might see the first 100+ victory if they come up against one of the top teams who are on.

Edit - well a last quarter where they at least broke even I felt. Didn't let Port score a goal. But a shocking two weeks...other teams who play them will be licking their lips.

Do we think 83 minutes of vacant oval is enough time for the prima donnas to warm up, and also enough time for the broadcasters to talk themselves to death with their riveting pre-final analysis?

Why? They made 1 change from last week when they got smashed, and have so many youngsters still. It's going to be long season and we might see the first 100+ victory if they come up against one of the top teams who are on.

Edit - well a last quarter where they at least broke even I felt. Didn't let Port score a goal. But a shocking two weeks...other teams who play them will be licking their lips.

Agree with that as they are rebuilding Saints but a few more six point conversions would of score board it more.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Do we think 83 minutes of vacant oval is enough time for the prima donnas to warm up, and also enough time for the broadcasters to talk themselves to death with their riveting pre-final analysis?
Ridiculously long break. I hope the 'just play doubleheaders' people are down there enjoying the vacant green...

Bulldogs play West Coast next week on Thursday night. A game which could speak volumes, since the Eagles are the only team they beat last year.

Port Adelaide at home against Fremantle, which they'll lose if Cutherbertson is out, based on my Aine Tighe match-up theory outlined on page 1. That aside, today's match didn't provide much clues about where they're at. Pretty low intensity game, and the conditions made it super scrappy.

Weather forecast for the other 8 matches this weekend looks pretty dry though and not too hot, even up in Mackay.

Who are you imagining will take Tighe? I'm guessing Prowse, but I guess Biddell or Allan are options as well.
Just remembered I forgot to reply to this.

My answer is... drumroll... I have no idea. If it was up to me, I'd start with Chelsea Randall just to give her a clear role for the first time in like 3 years.

If that goes bad, then it's Allan Sisters for the double-team! And Biddell can also join in at the same time if required. It's not like there's a bunch of other tall Freo targets to worry about.

WB look like they'll have one of the worst seasons of all time. GWS and Port have thrashed them and they're bottom third teams. Been gutted for talent and new coach doesn't look like an upgrade to me.

Play NM in round 6 and that may well be the 100 point loss.

Think that Daisy's coaching career will peak next week vs WB. Could well be the worst 3-0 team ever if they beat an injury ravaged Dons and WB should be easy beats.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW Round 2 - 2024 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back