Game Day Round 2, 2024: West Coast vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
ultimate troll move stating gaff will be omitted then putting him on the extended bench

trying-not-to-laugh-zoom-in.gif

From the Optus Stadium email:
Look out for additional Eagles making their debut!

Says to me that Barnett and Dewar will get the nod. If so it will be at the expense of Witho and JD you would imagine.

From the Optus Stadium email:
Look out for additional Eagles making their debut!

Says to me that Barnett and Dewar will get the nod. If so it will be at the expense of Witho and JD you would imagine.
Maybe with Oscar out they want to put BW down forward as his replacement, letting Barnett and Jamo ruck. I like it

edit:nvm barnett already debuted, gotta be dewar then

Hmm ok. It did say Eagles plural so assumed there must be more than one. Probably pay not to read much into it at all I guess. It is an email from the stadium, not the club.

Gaff on the extended bench could mean that someone is under an injury cloud or more likely (hopefully) he's just general injury cover.

He's literally the only midfielder on our list that is match fit and not named - assuming Chesser starts. Oof.

Hmm ok. It did say Eagles plural so assumed there must be more than one. Probably pay not to read much into it at all I guess. It is an email from the stadium, not the club.

clearly Burgiel will debut after his 14 goal performance

him not being named on the bench is just mind games

Hall was on managed minutes and came off at 3/4 time in the WAFL. I think it’s prudent to have someone be able to play a full game in the ressies before being promoted

As for Burgiel, he probably needs to string a few games together without getting injured before being considered. Jones can provide the date off HB for now

Suspect Gaff has been named so he can be used as the non playing emergency this weekend

You’d think Hunt and Chesser both play in the 22.

Dewar a smokey to be sub but I think it will be Witherden

Leaves Barnett, Darling and Maric for the final two spots. Probably not Barnett just yet

Overall
Jones for Witherden
Chesser for Gaff
Maric for Allen

Witherden to be sub
Witherden off the bench and still the slowest bloke on the field

Kinda intrigued for the mental gymnastics if Gaff gets a game. Could be fun 😁

Yeah it kinda feels like it's about as interesting as our season will get.

Gaff on the extended bench could mean that someone is under an injury cloud or more likely (hopefully) he's just general injury cover.

He's literally the only midfielder on our list that is match fit and not named - assuming Chesser starts. Oof.

Well not literally, because Trew is fit. Nothing wrong with Johnston either but I guess he’d be reaching to debut at this stage

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kinda intrigued for the mental gymnastics if Gaff gets a game. Could be fun 😁
“I know I said Gaff would play WAFL but when Oscar went down we thought that we need our leaders out there. Gaffy has credits in the bank and can play a role for us” - Simmo tomorrow, probably

I thought Maric was a touch unlucky to miss the first game... surely he plays this week with Allen out? Seems like a really odd forward line. And why does Darling get named in the bench? Either he's dropped (deservedly), or he's named in the forward line. I don't buy this bullshit that it's "sending a message"... professionals don't work that way. If he's on the verge of being dropped, Simpson would have told him to his face.

A bit like Gaff, maybe they've decided to drop him but need to keep him listed as an emergency in case there's a last-minute injury.

I thought Maric was a touch unlucky to miss the first game... surely he plays this week with Allen out? Seems like a really odd forward line. And why does Darling get named in the bench? Either he's dropped (deservedly), or he's named in the forward line. I don't buy this bullshit that it's "sending a message"... professionals don't work that way. If he's on the verge of being dropped, Simpson would have told him to his face.

A bit like Gaff, maybe they've decided to drop him but need to keep him listed as an emergency in case there's a last-minute injury.
I think 'sending a message' implies that it's to other players not to JD who would be informed by the coach.
With Gaff, why would you use an underperforming player for an emergency when he needs to find form in the twos? Surely there's other choices available for a date with the bench and a highly unlikely chance of playing?

I think 'sending a message' implies that it's to other players not to JD who would be informed by the coach.

You don't 'send a message' to other players by who you list on the bench. You tell them to their faces. I expect players would have been told very clearly at the start of the season that out-of-form senior players will not be getting carried anymore. These guys are professional footballers, they know the drill.

With Gaff, why would you use an underperforming player for an emergency when he needs to find form in the twos? Surely there's other choices available for a date with the bench and a highly unlikely chance of playing?

Because the match committee probably figure an out-of-form Gaff is still more likely to perform than a raw, underdeveloped kid, or playing someone completely out of position. Not my opinion mind you, just logical speculation. IMHO, seems kinda unfair on Gaff to publicly announce he was being dropped, then (presumably) tell him he might need to suit up if there are any injuries. Wouldn't we be better off naming Trew?

Either way... it's just a team sheet. People should save their melts for Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back