Game Day Round 2 vs. St Kilda, MCG, 7:30pm Thurs 21/03

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maynard can take Membery.
He had potential I thought. Played a solid game on Anzac Day last year.
Stupid move that one, Trey has speed size and a nice kick on him and is quite tough as well.
Always thought he would be really good for us after 50 games.
That one’s a real head scratcher to me.

Stupid move that one, Trey has speed size and a nice kick on him and is quite tough as well.
Always thought he would be really good for us after 50 games.
That one’s a real head scratcher to me.
Trey’s no longer in the system for a reason. Shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic to think he would in any way improve the current mix considering he didn’t get a look in the previous 2 years. The only cut we’ve made that was iffy was McMahon after two years, but we’ve since added Eyre which mitigates it.

joking. But holy **** if we do lose this then finals looks gone unless of course a huge form reversal.

Complacency. Lack of hunger. Lack of focus. Absolute shambles atm.

joking. But holy * if we do lose this then finals looks gone unless of course a huge form reversal.

Complacency. Lack of hunger. Lack of focus. Absolute shambles atm.
I wouldn't say finals gone if we lose. But top 4 gets hard. The last four seasons teams have made top 4 with a maximum of 5-7 losses.

Essentially if we lose we'd only be able to drop another 4 games for the season, and that's provided that there's not 4 sides to do it better.

I wouldn't say finals gone if we lose. But top 4 gets hard. The last four seasons teams have made top 4 with a maximum of 5-7 losses.

Essentially if we lose we'd only be able to drop another 4 games for the season, and that's provided that there's not 4 sides to do it better.
Giants lost 10 matches & came within a point of playing in the GF.

No point playing all these over-30s unless they're going for the flag

Last chance saloon this week

On SM-A225F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Break it down for us who’s at risk and who’s coming in to improve us? I’ve got Cox and WHE in the 30+ bracket and vulnerable to losing their spot then maybe Steele or Pendles with the consecutive 6 day breaks leading into a GABBA trip. The flipside is Frampton in place of Cox is a bit meh, WHE plays a role that’s a bit harder to decipher maybe we improve with Noble and Bytel or Sullivan for Pendles or Steele seems a backward step. It feels like a shit the bed type scenario and that we’re early in the season for shitting the bed.

No I got that I was only suggesting that it was 45 matches ago that was happening with Murphy and that shifted real quick once the system around him was sorted. KD is a role that is very reliant on what’s happening further afield and the guys that are capable can find their feet quickly (I think the club thinks Dean is capable).

I'm sure he is capable.

He might just not be ready yet.

Like, you can talk "further up field" and system until the cows come home, but as a defender, your bare minimum requirement/capability should be to be able to win basic 1 v1 contests no? Particularly against smaller opponents....particularly when said small opponent even falls over in the contest giving you the lay up?

As someone who has spruiked Dean for the last 2 years, that was bitterly disappointing to see. That kinda stuff is very very basic body position, strength and just reading the ball in flight

No point playing all these over-30s unless they're going for the flag

Last chance saloon this week

I’m inclined to agree… if they lose to the saints and then the lions.

0-4 largely rules out top 4.

No top 4, no flag… rare exceptions to this

No flag on the horizon… and it’s time to play the kids like Macrae, McInness, Allan, Harrison… then blood the newbies like DeMattia, Eyre, Jiath late in the year

At years end Retire some veterans, create cap space, hit free agency and the draft

Others will see it differently.

Want to play all the veterans still in the hope that they somehow click and develop the necessary hunger late in the year…

however I think if we start 0-4… then I can’t see the spark suddenly psychologically igniting in July… and older bodies being fresh enough… late in the season.

Happy to book mark this and be pulled up later if I’m wrong

Hopefully I am!

I would have loved to retain trey as well. Tough, good height and pace and a great kick. Given our lack of talls and risk with Murphy it would have made sense to me to retain a tallish defender.

But the club knows far more and it’s interesting he wasn’t picked up anywhere else. Decision made, moving on..

I'm sure he is capable.

Like, you can talk "further up field" and system until the cows come home, but as a defender, your bare minimum requirement/capability should be to be able to win basic 1 v1 contests no? Particularly against smaller opponents....particularly when said small opponent even falls over in the contest giving you the lay up?

As someone who has spruiked Dean for the last 2 years, that was bitterly disappointing to see. That kinda stuff is very very basic body position, strength and just reading the ball in flight
No. Our team sets itself up with an 18 man defence to prevent the need for a defender to be in a 1 v 1. When we’re playing well the pressure further afield slows the transition of the opposition. That then allows Howe and Moore to position themselves to come over and support Dean in a 1 v 1. Right now that breakdown further afield is creating a chain reaction exploiting all of our defensive group. You’re just noticing it more with Dean because he’s being asked to play the deepest defender role.

I think you were fair to highlight he might need to go back to VFL level this however is moving more toward the realms of me strongly disagreeing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m inclined to agree… if they lose to the saints and then the lions.

0-4 largely rules out top 4.

No top 4, no flag… rare exceptions to this

No flag on the horizon… and it’s time to play the kids like Macrae, McInness, Allan, Harrison… then blood the newbies like DeMattia, Eyre, Jiath late in the year

At years end Retire some veterans, create cap space, hit free agency and the draft

Others will see it differently.

Want to play all the veterans still in the hope that they somehow click and develop the necessary hunger late in the year…

however I think if we start 0-4… then I can’t see the spark suddenly psychologically igniting in July… and older bodies being fresh enough… late in the season.

Happy to book mark this and be pulled up later if I’m wrong

Hopefully I am!
Yep

I absolutely think our current group can go again and win another flag this year but their actions and body language say otherwise atm

Have to show something this week, either win, or lose honourably

I'm referring to the Heeney situation as the moment I personally thought maybe he should go and ply his trade in the VFL

A couple of his contest losses were because the opponent was just too good - but most of them were because he didn't attack the footy. I suspect he's positioning really well, but the confidence isn't there. Attack the footy Charlie rather than focussing solely on the body of your opponent. He pushed Heeney over and then continued to try to lean into him - rather than switching to marking the ball.

I'm sure he is capable.

Most of this Chat / Observations / Comments around Dean .. Remind me of the early days Of Langdons areer ( and hence BF comments) ... He was A complete spud Early Doors, then became one of our top 10 Players ... shame his career cut short .

I haven’t had time to read through the whole thread and I don’t want to sugarcoat our terrible start to the year but one question I had looking at our performances was on our training regimen. We have gone from the team that can switch gears and run teams off their feet in last quarters to a team that looks rattled by half time.

A lot of our issues against both GWS and Sydney were down to turnovers (massively impacted by fatigue), being outnumbered in multiple areas of the ground and inability to put pressure in transition on the midfield (ie teams walk to our D50 with ease by breaking tackles).

Because we have been experimental with our physical prep in the past two years, and with success, I wonder if we tried something over the off season that didn’t work. Either too easy or too hard, or approaching the schedule of training loads for the year differently.

It seemed to me that even when the effort was there, the action was left lacking (eg pressure acts that barely impact the ball carrier).

A lot of our issues against both GWS and Sydney were down to turnovers (massively impacted by fatigue), being outnumbered in multiple areas of the ground and inability to put pressure in transition on the midfield (ie teams walk to our D50 with ease by breaking tackles).
I think you’re being pretty kind there; the turnovers were very evident even in the first half, so it can’t all be down to fatigue. Papley was more accurate with his handball while sitting flat on his arse, than ours were flowing forward under little pressure!

Really? If all 5 were on offer right now I’d go:

1. Heeney
2. Mills
3. Warner
4. Parker
5. Adams

Adams injury was shitful timing because I reckon he gets squeezed out to a peripheral role once he’s back.

I’m largely buying that we’ve lost to two legit teams, but the way we’ve lost is super concerning. We barely gave a yelp on Friday and the form line of our past 10 might actually be a decent indicator now of where we’re at. If St Kilda can break that first defensive line I think we’ll be in big trouble because right now we have just two players in form (Daicos and Cameron).
Yeah, hard to see us getting back to near our best so suddenly.
Collingwood off a 5-day break vs St Kilda off 4 may not hit any great heights anyway, so let's trust they are at least really switched on.

I thought about dropping Markov, but given our height issues down back, I don’t think they go for a Noble.

No way WHE gets dropped.

Would definitely bring in Frampton for AJ, Reef and Finn as well. Dean can go back to VFL and the third out can be a message to the other players that nobody is safe. Stun them into action

In my scenario I’m bringing in Frampton to play back and replace Dean.

It also allows Noble to come in and provide more run which has been sorely missing.

Reef was coming in for AJ as the second albeit undersized key forward.

In my scenario I’m bringing in Frampton to play back and replace Dean.

It also allows Noble to come in and provide more run which has been sorely missing.

Reef was coming in for AJ as the second albeit undersized key forward.
I wouldn't be surprised if Noble plays, especially with Fly's "finding hungry players" comment in his presser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back